8 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnson City, NY
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Johnson City area, with 1 in Johnson City and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 49 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Johnson City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Johnson City 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Binghamton with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Johnson City, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Johnson City, NY
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnson City, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Johnson City
Johnson City is located in Broome County, New York and is a part of the Binghamton Metropolitan area. The area is home to the Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park, where visitors and residents can view rare birds and animals. 16 percent of Johnson City's 14,500 residents are over the age of 65. Seniors in the area have plenty of assisted living communities to choose from, with one community located in Johnson City and an additional seven nearby in areas such as Vestal, Endicott and Binghamton.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Johnson City
- The Johnson City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UHS Wilson Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Johnson City's overall cost of living is nearly 14 percent below the national average. Seniors with a limited budget should find living in the area to be quite affordable.
- Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may find it unpleasant in Johnson City during the winter. The area gets an average of 76 inches of snowfall each year, which is 50 inches more than the U.S. average.
- Seniors in Johnson City might feel unsafe knowing that residents of the area have a 1 in 183 chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime and a 1 in 19 chance of becoming the victim of a property crime. By comparison, the average citizen in New York state has a 1 in 266 chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime and a 1 in 65 chance of becoming the victim of a property crime.
- All social security retirement benefits are tax exempt in New York. Seniors may be able to use these savings towards the cost of assisted living.
- Residents of Broome County can safely travel the area with Broome County Public Transit. Reduced fares are offered to seniors over 65.
Paying for Assisted Living in Johnson City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Johnson City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Johnson City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Johnson City
Seniors in Johnson City have two Medicaid programs that can help to pay for the cost of services in assisted living residences. Depending on the level of care provided, seniors can apply for assistance under either the Medicaid State Plan or the state's Long-Term Home Health Program 1915(c) Waiver.
New York offers an optional state supplement to seniors who are receiving Supplemental Security Income who require additional financial assistance. This supplement can be used to pay for the cost of room and board in assisted living residences.
New York does not allow family supplementation.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Johnson City
Johnson City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Johnson City, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Johnson City
Johnson City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Johnson City
Review of Hilltop Campus
We visited Hilltop Campus. We were looking at a 1-bedroom apartment, which has facilities there like refrigerator, and a microwave, plus they serve three meals a day if you want. They also have an ... Read more
Review of Hilltop Campus
Hilltop Campus is a very good place in a good location. In fact, if they had a place for us, we would move there. The staff that we met was very nice. Their rooms were nice, and the dining area is ... Read more
Review of Hilltop Campus
My dad is at United Methodist Homes. The atmosphere is good; my dad is happy there. The rooms are clean and bright. Also my dad is really happy with the staff. They're very helpful, even going beyo... Read more