16 Assisted Living Facilities near Waconia, MN
Also serving communities of Norwood Young America.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Waconia area, with 3 in Waconia and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Waconia is $4,150 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 12 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Waconia. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Waconia 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Waconia, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Waconia, MN
13 Assisted Living Facilities near Waconia, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Waconia
The city of Waconia is located southeast of Minneapolis on the edge of a lake. Home to over 12,000 residents, Waconia has been commended for its favorable conditions for the aging community and access to impressive healthcare facilities. Seniors over the age of 65 make up 11% of the population, which is higher than surrounding towns. Waconia's Commission on Aging works with the City Council and consults on any senior-relating issues. Its presence ensures that the aging population is included when discussing local projects.
The city's assisted living facilities are overseen by the Minnesota Department of Health. Fifteen adult foster care homes, as assisted living facilities are called, are in the area, each offering slightly different services and pricing options. Three are in the city of Waconia, and the remaining centers operate in surrounding towns.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Waconia
- Senior residents can enjoy warm summers in Waconia, with temperatures in the high 80s during July and August. The precipitation rate for the city is fairly low, remaining under the national average. However, temperatures can reach as low as 3 degrees in the winter months.
- The cost of living in Waconia is 21.4 percent higher than the national average, which may negatively impact those relying on a small pension. However, when compared to surrounding cities, the cost of living in Waconia is less expensive.
- Waconia has a variety of resources for senior citizens, such as a monthly newsletter detailing upcoming events and activities and a senior center.
- Waconia aims to bring WeCAB, a senior-specific transportation service to the city. The company provides safe and reliable alternatives to those unable to access traditional forms of transportation.
- Waconia is 35.9 on the property crime rate index, a few points higher than the national average of 35.4. However, the violent crime rate is only 8.2, considerably lower than the national average of 22.7. This may make seniors feel safer.
- Waconia has better air quality than the state’s average levels, leading to a lower risk of respiratory diseases and cancer in the area.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Waconia
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Waconia start around $4,150 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Waconia and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Waconia
Minnesota issues financial aid to those unable to qualify for Medicare or pay for necessary expenses through the state's Medicaid 1915(c) waiver program. The state’s Elderly Waiver program also provides financial assistance to residents over the age of 65 who require additional care but do not wish to reside in a nursing home. Room and board are typically not covered under these waivers.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Waconia
Waconia and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Waconia, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Waconia
Waconia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Waconia, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Waconia
Review of New Perspective | Waconia
My wife is at New Perspective. She is in the treatment center on the first floor for memory care because she has dementia, and I rent a studio apartment upstairs on the second floor. They're very g... Read more
Review of Auburn Meadows of Waconia
This is an excellent facility providing multiple levels of care. Right now I am darn Independent, but as I need additional care, I will be able to stay-in-place - which is good. My apartment was ... Read more