25 Assisted Living Facilities near Saint Joseph, MN
There are 25 Assisted Living Facilities in the Saint Joseph area, with 2 in Saint Joseph and 23 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Saint Joseph. Better rated regions include Waite Park with an average rating of 3.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Saint Joseph, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Saint Joseph, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Saint Joseph
The city of St. Joseph is located about 60 miles north of the state capital city of St. Paul and has a cost of living that is about 20% lower than that of the capital, which may appeal to seniors with restrictive budgets. In St. Joseph, seniors account for about 12% of the 7,000-person population.
In spite of its modest size, St. Joseph has two assisted living facilities, and there are about 20 more in nearby cities like Sartell and Sauk Rapids. These facilities, like all of those in the state, are required to register annually with the Department of Health and provide supportive and health-related services for at least one resident.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Saint Joseph
- St. Joseph maintains a small-town feel and has a low crime rate, which may appeal to safety-minded seniors. On a 100-point crime index, the city's violent crime is rated 8, versus the national average of 22.7; and the property crime rate is 13, compared to the national average of 35.4.
Summers in St. Joseph are comfortable with highs in the low-80s. However, winters tend to be very cold and snowy. January lows are near 0, and the region receives about 49 inches of annual snowfall, compared to the national average of 28 inches. This may be a concern for seniors who use mobility aids or who drive their own vehicle.
- The air quality in St. Joseph is exceptional, which may benefit seniors who have certain health conditions that are exacerbated by pollutants. The American Lung Association gives Stearns County, where St. Joseph is located, a B for short-term particle pollution, a passing score for annual particle pollution and an A for ozone pollution.
- The St. Joseph area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in St. Cloud.
- Minnesota is among the few states that impose state income tax on all types of retirement income, including Social Security benefits and government pensions. This may affect how much money seniors may be able to put toward local assisted living expenses.
- Senior centers in the St. Joseph area may take day trips to local cultural attractions like the Haehn Museum. This museum has roughly 4,000 artifacts, dating back to the mid-1800s, that document the lives and influence of the Benedictine Sisters. Admission to the museum is free.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures
Paying for Assisted Living in Saint Joseph
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Saint Joseph start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Saint Joseph and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint Joseph
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Saint Joseph, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.