3 Assisted Living Facilities in Whitehall, MI
Also serving communities of Hart, Fremont, Ludington, Ludington.
The average cost of assisted living in Whitehall is $3,687 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Whitehall with an average starting cost of $3,687.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Whitehall, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Whitehall, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Whitehall
Whitehall is located in Muskegon County along the banks of White Lake, which feeds into Lake Michigan. The county is home to more than 173,000 residents, and an estimated 17% of those who live there are seniors aged 65 and older, some of whom require full-time assisted living care.
There are two assisted living facilities in Whitehall, which provide such care to seniors who need it. In Michigan, these facilities are officially known as homes for the aged, and all are licensed and monitored by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Whitehall
- Seniors living in Whitehall can travel safely to and from appointments using MATS, the county's public transportation system. Transportation is available seven days per week and offers half-price fares for seniors.
- The Whitehall area is home to world-class healthcare facilities, including Mercy Health Physician Partners Lakeshore, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- It's important for seniors to choose a home for the aged that has adequate security in place. Around 23.4 property crimes per 1,000 resident occur each year in the city, while the state average is only 18 property crimes per 1,000 residents.
- The air quality in Whitehall and throughout Muskegon County has been given a failing grade by the American Lung Association. Some seniors, particularly those with underlying illnesses, may experience symptoms resulting from breathing the air in the city.
- Seniors in Whitehall may have difficulty getting outside and attending appointments during the wintertime. The city gets an average of 77 inches of snow per year, which is 49 inches more than in the average U.S. city.
- Whitehall is affordable when compared with most other cities, which may be beneficial to seniors who are on a budget. The city's overall cost of living is nearly 5% less than the national average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Whitehall
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Whitehall start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Whitehall and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Whitehall
Seniors living in homes for the aged in Whitehall and throughout the state may be eligible for financial assistance under the state Medicaid plan, which covers the cost of some personal care and assisted living services.
While Medicaid doesn't pay for room-and-board costs, Michigan's optional state supplement provides seniors with extra cash to cover things that aren't paid for by Medicaid or other state assistance programs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Whitehall
Whitehall and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Whitehall, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Whitehall
Whitehall-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.