13 Assisted Living Facilities near Springfield, MA
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the Springfield area, with 2 in Springfield and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Springfield is $3,300 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include West Springfield with an average starting cost of $3,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 99 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Springfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Springfield 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Torrington with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 9 families in Springfield find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Springfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Springfield, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Springfield
Tagged as the City of Firsts, Springfield boasts of a rich history of innovations and has grown through the years to become the third largest city in Massachusetts. Twelve percent of its population comprises the 65 and above group. Residents within this group can find help with activities of daily living from among the 15 assisted living facilities within the area — two of which are located right within the city. Known in the state as Assisted Living Residences, these facilities are certified by the Department of Elder Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Springfield
- The Springfield area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Mercy Medical Center and the Baystate Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Pioneer Valley Transit Authority operates transit services in Springfield and other member communities in Massachusetts. Senior patrons can purchase a Senior ID Card to enjoy reduced fares. The PVTA also offers on-demand van services for residents 60 years and above.
- Springfield has an array of community resources for seniors, including Elder Affairs programs, administered by the city’s Council on Aging under the Department of Elder Affairs. These programs are aimed towards enhancing seniors’ quality of life.
- The downtown area of Springfield is home to five world-class museums, offering seniors leisurely art and cultural activities. Senior visitors are entitled to admission discounts while residents with valid IDs can visit free-of-charge. Music-loving seniors can also avail of discounted tickets for select seating areas at Springfield Symphony Orchestra concerts.
- Massachusetts offers some form of tax relief for seniors in Springfield and the rest of the state. While the state grants full tax exemptions for Social Security retirement benefits and public pension income, it deducts full-rate income taxes on retirement account withdrawals and private pension.
- Springfield has an overall cost of living index of 95, significantly lower than the state’s 139. This makes it one of the more affordable locations within Massachusetts. Healthcare cost is listed at 84, providing seniors reasonable savings on medical expenses.
Paying for Assisted Living in Springfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Springfield start around $3,300 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Springfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Springfield
Eligible seniors in the Springfield area can apply for state-funded financial assistance to help pay for assisted living costs. Two government programs are offered: Group Adult Foster Care and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Springfield
Springfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Springfield, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Springfield
Springfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Springfield, MA
Other Options in Springfield, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Springfield
Review of The Wellington at Springfield
My aunt was at The Wellington at Springfield. It was lovely there. It was supportive, caring, clean, and very pleasant. The employees were great, no issues at all. I tried their food once or twice,... Read more
Review of Mason Wright
We chose Mason Wright for my mother, and she's set to move in there. We toured it in person, and it's beautiful, everything you could ever want. It's nice and pretty, sunny, and they've got a lot o... Read more
Review of The Wellington at Springfield
My aunt and cousin have moved into The Wellington at Springfield. They are getting settled. Everything is going along quite well. I was really impressed with the staff. The apartments were among th... Read more