2 Assisted Living Facilities in Tangipahoa Parish, LA
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tangipahoa Parish. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tangipahoa Parish 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tangipahoa Parish, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Hammond
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tangipahoa Parish
Tangipahoa Parish sits on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain in south Louisiana, making it an ideal place for seniors who love the outdoors and a vibrant local culture. Tangipahoa Parish is home to more than 132,000 residents, and 13.9 percent of those are age 65 or older. To cater to this population of seniors, Tangipahoa Parish has 2 assisted living communities, which are called Adult Residential Care Providers (ARCPs) in the state of Louisiana.
ARCPs in Tangipahoa Parish are classified into four levels, depending on the number of residents, type of accommodations and services offered, and they are regulated by the Louisiana Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tangipahoa Parish
- Residents of assisted living communities in Tangipahoa Parish can take advantage of Louisiana tax breaks for seniors to make their money go further. The state doesn't tax social security or public pensions, and Louisiana also offers a tax break on some private pensions, IRAs and retirement income.
- Tangipahoa Parish has a cost of living 7.8 percent lower than the national average. The cost of health care and transportation, which are of particular concern for seniors, are higher than average, though. Seniors in assisted living communities in the parish might need to budget for those extra expenses.
- The climate in Tangipahoa Parish is subtropical, so the winters are mild and the summers are hot and humid. The parish experiences lots of precipitation throughout the year, but also has an average of 219 sunny days each year, making it suitable for active seniors who like to spend time outdoors year-round.
- Tangipahoa Parish is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ochsner Health Center Tangipahoa, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Tangipahoa Parish has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Tangipahoa Voluntary Council on Aging, an organization that provides socialization activities, information about local services and transportation options for seniors, as well as five senior centers in various towns and cities throughout the parish.
- The lively culture of south Louisiana shines through in Tangipahoa Parish, so seniors who enjoy a lively social life can participate in the many annual fairs and festivals throughout the year, such as the Amite Oyster Festival, Pontchatoula Strawberry Festival and Tangipahoa Parish Fair. Regional arts centers, theater groups and dance performances provide even more entertainment for local seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tangipahoa Parish
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Tangipahoa Parish start around $1,910 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tangipahoa Parish and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tangipahoa Parish
Financial assistance for assisted living expenses in Tangipahoa Parish may be available for eligible seniors through the Louisiana Medicaid Long-Term Care Services program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tangipahoa Parish
Tangipahoa Parish and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tangipahoa Parish, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tangipahoa Parish
Tangipahoa Parish-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Tangipahoa Parish, LA
Assisted Living near Tangipahoa Parish, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tangipahoa Parish
Review of Summerfield of Hammond
Summerfield of Hammond gave us a tour and lunch. It was very nice. They showed us the sitting areas, and they took us to two different apartments. The one-bedroom was empty but very nice. We had se... Read more
Review of Oak Park Village At Hammond
One of my mom's sisters and her husband had recently moved into the Live Oak Village. We didn't go there for a tour; we were just going to visit. My aunt who resides there walked us around a little... Read more
Review of Summerfield of Hammond
I moved mom into Summerfield. The people seem more upbeat and the room is bigger than other places, which I like a lot. However, it could use a little more natural lighting. There's happy hour on F... Read more