3 Assisted Living Facilities in Somerset, KY
The average cost of assisted living in Somerset is $2,725 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Somerset. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Somerset 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include London with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Somerset, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Somerset
Somerset is a major tourist center, due to its close proximity to Lake Cumberland State Park. Somerset and Pulaski County host more than 3.8 million visitors each year. Area seniors in assisted living communities may also enjoy the fishing, hiking and boating here. Assisted Living facilities (ALFs) in Kentucky, such as the three such facilities located in and around Somerset, are regulated and licensed by the Kentucky Department for Aging and Independent Living. Kentucky ALFs generally offer help with daily tasks like grooming and eating as well as living accommodations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Somerset
- The Somerset, Kentucky area is home to world-class medical facilities including Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Located in south-central Kentucky, Somerset is known for its hot, sometimes humid summers, rainy springs and mild winters. The average high temperature in January is 44 degrees Fahrenheit and 85 degrees Fahrenheit in July, making Somerset a pleasant place to live for seniors.
- Somerset has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Somerset County Office on Aging and Disability Services, an organization that offers meals, wellness programs and benefits coordination, as well as a senior center.
- While the crime rate in Somerset isn't great, it's not the huge problem that it is in many other Kentucky cities. In fact, the overall crime rate in Somerset has decreased by 24 percent in recent years. However, it is still 37 percent higher than the national average.
- While the Somerset area lacks a public transportation system, the Lake Cumberland Area Development District provides transportation for seniors.
- There are many fun and interesting things for seniors to see and do in and around Somerset. The most popular attraction in the area is Lake Cumberland State Park and the boating, fishing and watersports offered there. In addition, the area is home to the North 7 Antique Mall, the historic and park-like Somerset Cemetery and the International Paranormal Museum. Most Somerset events and attractions offer some type of discount to seniors, although the qualifying age varies.
Paying for Assisted Living in Somerset
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kentucky
Assisted Living costs in Somerset start around $2,725 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Somerset and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Somerset
Seniors who live in Somerset, Kentucky will find a number of government assistance programs to help them with the cost of assisted living. These include Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kentucky page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kentucky page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Somerset
Somerset and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Somerset, please visit our Assisted Living in Kentucky page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Somerset
Somerset-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kentucky are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kentucky page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Somerset
Review of Crestview Personal Care
I have family at The Crestview Personal Care/Assisted Living. The Crestview is actually two separate buildings. There is a personal care facility and an assisted living facility. There is no skill... Read more
Review of Highlands Place
The Highlands was very nice. However, you have to pay for your TV hook-up. They had no Internet system, so you had to pay for that as well. There were different things that you had to pay for that ... Read more
Review of Highlands Place
My brother stayed at The Highlands for about three weeks. It was a very pretty place, very attractive, and very clean. It had a pretty decor, but they give very limited help to the residents. The o... Read more