4 Assisted Living Facilities near Osawatomie, KS
Also serving communities of Ottawa.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Osawatomie area, with 2 in Osawatomie and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Osawatomie is $3,200 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Belton with an average starting cost of $3,050.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Osawatomie. Better rated regions include Paola with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Osawatomie, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Osawatomie, KS
2 Assisted Living Facilities near Osawatomie, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Osawatomie
Osawatomie, Kansas, is located in Miami County and offers plenty of activities to keep its 4,450 residents busy. Seniors, who make up 13% of the population, can learn about Kansas history at the John Brown Museum or play through 18 holes at the Osawatomie Golf Course. There's even a senior center in town to put aging citizens in touch with local resources, such as the town's two assisted living facilities, which provide help with the tasks of daily living, such as grooming and meals.
In Osawatomie and throughout Kansas, assisted living facilities and residential care facilities are regulated by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Osawatomie
- The cost of housing in Osawatomie is 44% of the national average, which may be good news for family members moving here to be close to senior loved ones. The overall cost of living is about 17% cheaper than the nation's norm.
- The city's crime rates track closely to the national averages. For violent crime, Osawatomie rates 23.5, and for property crime, the area scores a 35.7. Seniors may feel confident running errands and attending appointments but may wish to ask what procedures are in place to guarantee resident safety in prospective facilities.
- While summer highs in July average 86 degrees Fahrenheit, the chilly wintry lows in January reach 19 degrees. However, the town receives 9 inches of snow, less than a third of the national average of 28 inches, which is good news for seniors reliant on walkers or wheelchairs to get around.
- The respective air and water quality scores of 69 and 60 in Osawatomie exceed the national averages by at least five points. This is good news for retirees looking cleaner air and water than that available in many other cities.
- In Osawatomie and throughout Kansas, seniors are fully taxed on both retirement savings account income and pensions, which could make it difficult for seniors with lower budgets who want to retire in the area.
- The Osawatomie area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Paola.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Osawatomie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Osawatomie start around $3,200 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Osawatomie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Osawatomie
Low-income seniors in Kansas, including Osawatomie, who wish to live in an assisted living facility may find financial help via the state's HCBS/FE waiver available through KanCare.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Osawatomie
Osawatomie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Osawatomie, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Osawatomie
Osawatomie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.