111 Assisted Living Facilities near Lawndale, CA
There are 111 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lawndale area, with 2 in Lawndale and 109 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 186 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lawndale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lawndale 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Torrance with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lawndale, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lawndale, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lawndale
Lawndale is a bustling urban community in the storied neighborhoods outside Torrance, right in the heart of South Central Los Angeles. A fully integrated city-within-a-city, Lawndale is effectively a suburb of Torrance and home to 33,000 people, 9 percent of them seniors age 65 and over.
While the Los Angeles basin is home to many residential care communities, Lawndale and its immediate surroundings host just nine assisted living facilities for local seniors. These facilities, like all residential care communities in the state, arelicensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lawndale
- The weather in Lawndale is balmy and warm, with a little more rain than most of Los Angeles gets in a year. Summer days average high temperatures of 78 degrees in Lawndale, while winter nights average 46-degree temps. The Lawndale-Torrance area gets roughly 14.5 inches of rain annually. Every year, the Santa Ana winds bring pollen and other allergens down from the Hollywood Hills, which may be an issue for some seniors with asthma or COPD.
- The cost of living in Lawndale is high by national standards, but right in line with the cost of living in California. Lawndale seniors pay around 70 percent more for necessities than the national average, which is just one percent higher than the 69 percent extra people pay across California. Healthcare is more affordable in Lawndale, where seniors pay roughly 15 percent less for medical care than the national average.
Crime rates in Lawndale are somewhat lower than the national average. Across all categories, Lawndale has a crime rate that's approximately 20 percent lower than similar-sized cities in America. Property crimes, such as vandalism and theft, make up the bulk of reported crimes, though.
- Public transportation in Lawndale is provided by the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro). Metro operates bus and rail lines throughout the greater Los Angeles area, with discount fares for seniors and same-day booking for dial-a-ride and disabled van services.
- The Lawndale area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Memorial Hospital of Gardena and College Hospital Hawthorne, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Los Angeles is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lawndale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Lawndale start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lawndale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lawndale
The Assisted Living Waiver is a Medi-Cal waiver that helps seniors pay for services received in assisted living facilities. It is offered in 15 counties in California, including Los Angeles County where Lawndale is located.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lawndale
Lawndale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lawndale, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Lawndale Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lawndale
Lawndale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lawndale
Review of Americare Assisted Living
Americare was wonderful. I liked it, it was neat and gated, but I didn’t meet the criteria. The room was nice, clean, and well-kept. The manager was very nice and very professional. They had an act... Read more
Review of Americare Assisted Living
Americare is conveniently located in a residential neighborhood that appears safe. Parking access is either driveway or street parking. Wheelchair accessibility is available for the ease of the p... Read more