St. Monica's Senior Living

Reviews of St. Monica's Senior Living

Assisted Living Reviews for St. Monica's Senior Living

June 23, 2015

By Bobbe Domer

Autumn of Life should have contentment and comfort. St. Monica's Senior Home and Assisted Living is all of this and more. The staff is helpful, and pleasant. The food is excellent. A variety of activities are ongoing. The atmosphere is peaceful and relaxing. The chapel is open to all-daily Catholic Mass and weekly Prostestant service. The beautiful grounds provide a home-like atmosphere.

June 18, 2015

By Barbara Noel

St. Monica provides personalized, compassionate, and quality care. Residents feel very much at home being allowed to personalize their rooms, attend resident meetings where their opinions count, and do a variety of activities and outings. They have beautiful grounds and continually update the facility. I would happily live there myself.

June 15, 2015

By Linda Levengood

I can't say enough about the quality of care my mother receives at St. Monica's. She has lived there for one year, and the nursing staff continually strives to meet her increasing needs. They are never too busy to talk with me about my mom's needs and care. Also, her room is big with a new view, and she loves the food. The administration is constantly working to make things better.

November 26, 2013

By Jon5

St. Monica's seemed very nice. There are a lot of activities there. I wouldn't hesitate to go there as I don't see any issues with it. It was very homey and the people were all friendly with the visitors. You just feel very good going there. The residents also were friendly and welcoming. When we were there, there were lots of them moving about.

January 30, 2013

By Beverly7

I've lived at St. Monica's since October of 2010. I can't say I really thought an Assisted Living home would be best for me, but it certainly has! I had some serious health issues back in 2008 and 2009. After rehab, I lived with a friend for almost a year before returning to my home. Once home, my health began to deteriorate quickly and it was at the urging of my 5 children that I came to St. Monica's. The staff is great. Everyone knows your name. The activities keep me active and busy. I have great friends here. It was at a community health screening here that one of the providers made me aware that I might have a health issue and they helped the staff make sure I had it looked at. The doctors found I did have a problem and they've helped me take care of it! Did I say how much I appreciate the staff? I can't say it enough. They are like family and I'm like family to them.

January 29, 2013

By caretaker12

I was in a hospital in 2008 and from there I went to another place for 2 months to recuperate. When I was leaving there, my kids thought I wasn't ready to be home yet. They checked around and found St. Monica's and I initially stayed here for 2 months. Then a friend came and invited me to recuperate at her home and so I stayed there for one year. Then I went back home but I went downhill very fast so my kids decided to place me back here long term. The nursing staff is awesome. The place is so clean. Of all the the places around, St. Monica's is the most affordable. I'm in a semi-private room. I'm currently on a restrictive diet. They really seemed to go out of their way for me. I'm surprised because I didn't expect that. I am happy staying here. We have activities as well and I make sure to participate everyday.

January 29, 2013

I have nothing but the highest respect for St. Monica's. I would give them all the positive accolade for not only the treatment for my brother and sister in-law but for all of the patients and the residents there. They're incredibly supportive, sensitive and caring. I could not give them a better recommendation. In fact I have been referring other people that I know that are looking for some private assisted facilities. I give them the name of St. Monica's. They are incredibly trustworthy, caring and compassionate with all of their residents. My brother and his wife who recently passed away have been a recipient of St Monica's for at least 3 years now. I can't say enough about them. I would endorse them. I would support them. I've contributed to them and I would continue to do so in the future.

January 28, 2013

By Marilyn10

My daughter came across St Monica's and chose them for me. The nurses, the aides, everybody is wonderful. I live here now and I'm happy being here. We have about 95-100 people here. Everybody has a private or a semi private room. I have a private room. We have bingo room, bowling room, activity room, nurses stations and a big dining room. We have a lot of activities here. Like on Monday we have exercise class and a bible class . In the afternoon we have bowling and some sing along and in the evening we play games.I go to every activities if I'm here. I go shopping once a week with my daughter. The food is average. It's not good but it's not bad. The staff here is wonderful. The best that you can get.

July 24, 2012

By SoftKitty

I visited the facility a month ago. I very much liked the geographic area--it's on a nice large piece of land and has room and facilities for outdoor activities, walking trails, etc. The rooms are large than most and have windows that allow really nice outdoor lighting to enter much of the day. The staff was pleasant to me, but I appreciated the fact that as soon as one of the residents needed or asked for attention for any reason, the staff left me and went to them immediately. I talked with some of the residents. They were animated, relaxed and seemed very "into" the activities of the facility. They seemed to particularly like the "outside" people--performers and art instructors, etc. that were brought in fairly often. All in all, I really liked this place and am seriously considering it. For some odd reason, it seems less expensive than other much less pleasant facilities I've visited. Also, I was there for lunch and it was very good food. Not gourmet, but well prepared and very tasty--I think they really try to serve dishes that are familiar to the residents--there was a really great peach cobbler...old fashioned, I guess, but good.

July 24, 2012

By AndrjesVelnan

The facility and staff seem very nice, my pastor complains only about her symptoms and speaks highly of the staff. The physicians and the nurses seem caring and doting and hands-off when the moment requires. My pastor is income-restricted so it was important for her to get a high degree of quality with a moderate price. The number one complaint about nursing homes is maltreatment (and poor food) and St. Monica's excels in both of those categories. The residents seem happy, the ones with their wits about them at least. I would definitely recommend them to a friend. As far as the accommodations are concerned, it has many of the amenities of modern facilities like cable television and so forth at no extra cost. I honestly think she benefits from the environment and that's why I'm leaving this review. It's a difficult choice sometimes, but the staff there makes the transition as easy as possible and as delicate as possible. Even though she's unable to type or dictate these thoughts, I hope I portrayed them as accurately as possible. If your not sure, just visit and see for yourself.

February 16, 2012

By ralphie77

My mother-in-law lived at St. Monica's for 5+ years until she passed away @ 91. It is an absolutely wonderful facility. As Ken S. (1 of the band members that plays there several times a year at special events) describes it: "You can feel the love when you walk in the door." St. Monicas made my mother-in-law's last years better and (I am positive) extended her life. She met many new friends and participated in many, many activities.

October 14, 2011

By ChrisS1

I toured this facility with a relative that we were contemplating encouraging to live at this facility. The general atmosphere in the facility was okay. Some of the decorations were outdated and fit the era from the youth of most of the residents. There were flyers out for a bingo night, a cards night, and several other group activities. The property was situated on a nice size property where residents could go outside and get some fresh air when it wasn't too cold outside. Additionally, the gathering rooms had many large windows that helped to bring some natural light into the rooms. Overall, the facilities were nice but it still had a bit of a depressing feel as I think all nursing home facilities and assisted living facilities have. Additionally, we had a chance to visit while it was lunch time and the food looked okay. I would rate the food a seven on a ten point scale.

Questions about St. Monica's Senior Living

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our staff recieves the best training offered. We have two dementia specialists who are on hand to oversee and our staff is trained in Teepa Snow's Positive Approach to Care (PAC), Alzheimers C.A.R.E.S and Person Centered Care. We excell in care as we take the time to train.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at St. Monica's Senior Living. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have approximately 83 residents, average age is around 83. We listen to a lot of live music, play with therapy dogs and enjoy our spectacular grounds.

What programs or activities does St. Monica's Senior Living offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have over 70 programs per month. We try to individualize programs whenever possible.

What places are near St. Monica's Senior Living or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are situated on 42 beautiful acres so walking to the local market is not, unfortunately, an options. We take you there instead in our bus.

What transportation services does St. Monica's Senior Living offer to assisted living residents?

We offer bus trips every week, movie outing, dine out, shopping, and something fun, gambling, site seeing, bowling etc.

What makes the chef or dining program at St. Monica's Senior Living exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Carol, is our head cook, she has been with St. Monica's 40 years. We pride ourselves on our home cooking. We can adjust the meal to specific diets if necessary.

What safety features or security measures does St. Monica's Senior Living offer to assisted living residents?

Each room has a lock. Our public doors are locked at night. Ours is a very safe community, but we do have outdoor cameras to monitor our grounds. We take notice of who our familiy and friends are and we know who is a stranger in our facility.

How does St. Monica's Senior Living keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our nurses communicate whenever a question is raised. We are always available via a phone call, email or stop by for a visit. Our doors are always open. Life Engagement posts pictures, events, newsletters and event calendars. Our web page also offers updates on what is going on at St. Monica's.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at St. Monica's Senior Living during daytime and nighttime hours?

During the day our ratio is 1:6. We have two overnight caregivers who stay in the building and always a nurse on call over night. We have 5 full time RN's and two full time LPN's.

If St. Monica's Senior Living accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

All our grounds are open to pets.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

There is ongoing training every week for all departments. We take special notice of dementia training for all departments too.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at St. Monica's Senior Living. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Most of our population requires some care, but many are still very active. We have card players, sewers, gardeners, golfers, etc.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Racine has many, many places and activities to enjoy. Most are within a 15 minute drive from St. Monica's.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at St. Monica's Senior Living has organized?

We have gone to gambling, site seeing, Holy Hill, down by the beach, bowling, dine out, movies, shopping.

What transportation services does St. Monica's Senior Living offer to independent living residents?

We have a bus for our outings, with a lift.

What makes the chef or dining program at St. Monica's Senior Living exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our cook was trained by the good Sisters of St. Rita. Our food is both delicious, nourishing and made in our state-of-the-art kitchen.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

We have numerous common areas for our community members and their families to enjoy. i.e., party room, bingo area, coffee area, cafe area, 6 tv lounges, chapel, dining room and our main livingroom.

What safety features or security measures does St. Monica's Senior Living offer to independent living residents?

Our rooms have locks and our building has security cameras on the front and south entrances. But, we have never had a problem with security. We are situated beautifully on our grounds and our staff knows our family members and visitors.

Pets are free to enjoy our grounds. We do require that the waste material is disposed of properly.

Does St. Monica's Senior Living work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We have 5 full time nurses and 4 full time LPN's.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

am shift = 6 caregivers, 1 nurse, pm shift = 6 caregivers, 1 nurse, overnight shift = 3 caregivers for a maximum population of 24.

What safety features or security measures does St. Monica's Senior Living provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a special Memory Care Wing. It is secured.

What programs or activities does St. Monica's Senior Living offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a full time Life Engagement person who has total staff support and support from our main facility. Music is king here and we promote pet visits, children visits and one-on-one visits for individuals to engage them in life.

Our assessment nurse does the prelimary assessment, we request a physicians report to substantiate this. Once a community member, assessments are done as often as needed.

What techniques does St. Monica's Senior Living use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We have different colored plates and bowls, larger handles for flatwear, easy to drink from cups and we are trained in assisting them with dignity.

How does St. Monica's Senior Living keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

If not face to face, (we encourage family visits), then through telephone calls and emails.

Describe the neighborhood around St. Monica's Senior Living. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

St. Monica's is nestled on 42 park-like acres on the north side of Racine. We are very quiet and peaceful here.

Is St. Monica's Senior Living affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Our closest hospital is Wheaton Fransician, we do defer to family wishes though.

Costs for St. Monica's Senior Living

Photos of St. Monica's Senior Living

Services and Amenities of St. Monica's Senior Living

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Coffee Shop
  • General Store
  • Hiking Trails

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Nurse On Staff: We Have 24 Hour Nurses.

• Home Sale Assistance

Affiliations

• Affiliations Extra: Catholic

• Staff Patient Ratio: 4 To 1
  • Pets: All Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: Wisconsin

About St. Monica's Senior Living

Located on 42 beautiful acres along the Root River in Racine, WI, each of our rooms provides a gorgeous view of our prairie landscape. We provide a safe, comfortable environment for our residents and focus on person centered care. We are known for our outstanding nursing care with a 5:1 ratio of residents to staff and have 5 Registered Nurses on-site including weekends - making us able to give round-the-clock Registered Nurse, support staff and security care.

We believe in providing an enhanced living experience and offer more than 70 activities monthly, which includes dances, musical groups, outings and excursions. We are non-denominational and also host daily Catholic masses, a weekly Protestant service and Bible study classes.

Everyday our residents look forward to our 3 tasty, home-cooked meals that are prepared by our highly respected Chef. And daily visits from Sister Angelica and Sister Clare, of Sisters of St. Rita, who are on site to provide our residents with spiritual care and support.

Located on 42 beautiful acres, residents can enjoy the beautiful scenery. Our compassionate, nursing care is widely respected in the community along with an offering of over 70 activities a month.

Map of St. Monica's Senior Living