Sunrise of Mercer Island

Reviews of Sunrise of Mercer Island

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Mercer Island

January 31, 2014

By caring23792350

Sunrise had a different building style to it. It looked adequate. It was neat and clean. However, they didn't have any facility for dementia patients. The staff was helpful in showing me what they had, but I didn't really deal with the personnel that were handling the patients. So, I don't have a real comment on that. The rooms looked adequate. There were some big enough for a couple. but most of them seemed to be for one person.

March 22, 2012

By shopgirl07987

I toured the facility when looking for an Assisted Living Facility that had a good Memory Care center for my Grandmother, who had been recently diagnosed with Stage 1 Alzheimers. I enjoyed that the facility looks like a very large home, and that it is located very close to where I live. However, it felt a bit claustrophobic due to it's lack of size, and that it appeared that most residents were not engaged in anything beyond sitting. While I am confident that it is a great place for those who in Stage 2 or 3 of Alzheimers, it would have been too confining for someone with Stage 1 Alzheimers. However, the staff members I met were friendly and welcoming. The Director who took me on the tour, assured me that there would be a personalized activity calender for my Grandmother so that she would be engaged. The Director did not ask about my Grandmother's interests, though, and I had difficulty seeing how she would be engaged at this facility.

Memory Care Reviews for Sunrise of Mercer Island

Questions about Sunrise of Mercer Island

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Sunrise’s onboarding program includes comprehensive classroom training on a range of topics, from dementia care to the fundamentals of assisted living and resident care. Additionally, team members receive hands-on training and continuing education throughout their careers. This training includes areas such as memory care, activities of daily living, infection control, falls, privacy, and resident rights.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sunrise of Mercer Island. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

While our residents’ ages vary, they particularly enjoy our Sunrise Live With Purpose™ programming, which includes activities like art, music, learning, community involvement, physical activity, and more. We have adjusted some of our regular programming to further promote the health and safety of our residents and team members throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. We have done so in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations and health authorities.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Mercer Island offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our dedicated activities team engages residents based on their individual preferences. Activities can include art, music, learning, community involvement, and physical activity.

What places are near Sunrise of Mercer Island or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Close to downtown Mercer Island’s shops, eateries, boutiques, galleries, library and senior center. Within easy reach of downtown Seattle, Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, the monorail, Benaroya Hall, McCaw Hall, Bellevue Art Museum, and the shopping and dining of The Bellevue Collection. Near medical care at Swedish of First Hill and Seattle, as well as Overlake Hospital in Bellevue

What transportation services does Sunrise of Mercer Island offer to assisted living residents?

We provide scheduled transportation services for residents. Please contact us to learn more.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sunrise of Mercer Island exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We believe that quality food is an essential part of our residents’ overall well-being. Our dining program features well-balanced, homemade meals using fresh ingredients. Our highly trained, in-house chefs speak regularly with our residents to learn what menu items they would like featured in the community. From BBQ to tacos to seafood, you can expect a diverse menu with an exciting variety of cuisine.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Mercer Island offer to assisted living residents?

Our residents enjoy senior-friendly living spaces designed for comfort and safety, including an emergency call response system. We assess residents every month during wellness visits to determine if they will require additional safety with an individual emergency pendant.

How does Sunrise of Mercer Island keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We provide regular updates via mail, phone, and email. Our team members also help our residents video chat with their loved ones on Skype and FaceTime. Through our electronic health record system, our team members can easily see and document information such as residents’ care delivery, medications, diagnoses, and activities of daily living, among others. As a result, when authorized family members contact our care team with questions, we are able to provide timely updates.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Sunrise’s onboarding program includes comprehensive classroom training on a range of topics, from the fundamentals of assisted living and resident care to dining and activities. Additionally, team members receive hands-on training and continuing education throughout their careers. This training includes areas such as memory care, activities of daily living, infection control, falls, privacy, and resident rights.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Mercer Island offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our Life Enrichment Managers get to know each resident’s unique preferences, hobbies, and life experiences to help them experience meaning and purpose each day. Residents engage by participating in a variety of programming, such as art projects, crafts, puzzles, and other creative and cognitive activities. By combining current research on social engagement and brain health, and building upon our Sunrise Live With Purpose™ programming, we offer memory support programs that focus on strengthening and maintaining our residents’ cognitive abilities. These programs leverage things like physical fitness, occupation-based activities, and daily journals to help residents find meaning and purpose every day.

What techniques does Sunrise of Mercer Island use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We are committed to creating a familiar, pleasant, and dignified dining experience for our memory care residents. Our dining rooms are warm and inviting with fresh flowers, linens, and soft music. Fiestaware china, finger foods, and contrasting table linens are among the tools that promote independence. Residents are presented choices visually, allowed time to make their selection, and given their chosen item quickly after the selection has been made.

How does Sunrise of Mercer Island keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Sunrise of Mercer Island. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Sunrise of Mercer Island is located on a quiet, residential street near the Town Center of Mercer Island, just minutes from I-90. From our community, our residents enjoy breathtaking views of Mercer Island, downtown Bellevue, Lake Washington, and The Cascades.

Costs for Sunrise of Mercer Island