Montgomery, in central Alabama, is the state’s capital. The city has a population of 198,525 residents, and 14.3% of them are seniors 65 years of age and older. For medical care, Montgomery’s seniors have easy access to several facilities in the Baptist Health network. Another option is Jackson Hospital, which has an emergency department and provides specialty services such as orthopedics and spinal care. Montgomery also features relatively affordable nursing homes, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey: A typical Montgomery nursing home charges $6,540 per month for a semiprivate room, while the corresponding national average is $7,756.

Nursing homes provide comprehensive services, commonly including around-the-clock nursing care, medical monitoring and help with everyday tasks. That extensive support usually comes at a higher price point compared to other senior care options. Seniors who require less supervision may save money and find a better fit with assisted living or home health care.

This guide takes a detailed look at senior care costs, including those of nursing homes, in Montgomery. Additionally, the guide covers several Montgomery-area resources for seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Montgomery, AL

Montgomery Health and Rehab

4490 VIRGINIA LOOP ROAD, Montgomery, AL, 36116

The staff at Cedar Crest was nice, friendly, and gave me a nice tour. It was well maintained.

Woodley Manor Health & Rehabilitation

3312 WOODLEY ROAD, Montgomery, AL, 36116

Woodley Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center was well kept and clean. The staff was nice and friendly. They had an activity schedule of different things going on, and it seemed well organized and re … (read more)

HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Montgomery

4465 Narrow Lane Road, Montgomery, AL, 36116

I thought HealthSouth Rehabilitation did a really good job; I liked it. The place was clean; the staff seemed to be attentive. The physical and occupational therapists were both very helpful and reall … (read more)

Capitol Hill Healthcare Center

520 SOUTH HULL STREET, Montgomery, AL, 36104

Our initial experience with Capitol Hill Healthcare is good. They call me if anything happens to my mother or if anything is going on with her, and they can tell me what her condition is. Anything tha … (read more)

John Knox Manor Inc #2

4401 Narrow Lane Road, Montgomery, AL, 36116

I had my dad at John Knox Manor for a while. The facility was fine. I didn’t have any real problems with them. Compared to the other ones I saw, they were one of the better ones, but I think they do … (read more)

Crowne Health Care of Montgomery

1837 UPPER WETUMPKA ROAD, Montgomery, AL, 36107

My mom is in rehab at Crowne Health Care of Montgomery. We chose it because of other reviews that people have given us and some recommendations. We’ve had no problems with them, at all. What I like be … (read more)

Hillview Terrace

100 PERRY HILL RD, Montgomery, AL, 36109

My dad moved into Hillview Terrace for long-term care. It’s very clean and the staff is very attentive. The only problem that I have is when we go and visit him, he’s still in his nightclothes. He’s n … (read more)

South Haven Health & Rehab Center

1300 EAST SOUTH BOULEVARD, Montgomery, AL, 36116

My friend has been in this facility for a while. I can see a difference in the building when I visit her now. A lots of new people who really seem to care. My friend is always nice and clean when I vi … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Montgomery

2020 N Country Club Dr, Montgomery, AL, 36106

My mother went through rehab at the Golden LivingCenter, and it was very good. I was very happy with them. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and very encouraging. Their rehab staff was very compet … (read more)

Capitol Hill Healthcare

520 S Hull Street, Montgomery, AL, 36104

Nursing Home Costs in Montgomery, AL

In Montgomery, the average cost for a semiprivate nursing home room is $6,540 per month. For private rooms, that rate rises to $6,996.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Sticking with semiprivate rooms rates, Montgomery’s median cost is identical to Alabama’s statewide average of $6,540. That means both Montgomery and its home state are $1,216 less expensive compared to the national average.

The nearby city of Anniston likewise has an average rate of $6,540. However, Birmingham’s average of $6,388 is slightly lower, and Auburn’s median rate of $5,399 is considerably less expensive than Montgomery’s. The story is different for Dothan, though. That city’s average cost of $6,996 is several hundred dollars higher than Montgomery’s.

Montgomery

Auburn

$6996

Dothan

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

In Montgomery, the most affordable senior care arrangement is adult day health care, which has an average cost of $433 per month. Home care and home health care have median monthly costs of $3,238 and $3,337, respectively, and assisted living is somewhat pricier at $3,725. Finally, nursing homes charge average monthly rates of $6,540 for semiprivate rooms and $6,996 for private rooms, making these the most expensive accommodations.

$3283

Adult day health care

$3725

Assisted living

$6540

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6996

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Montgomery, AL

Free Resources for Seniors in Montgomery, AL

As seniors grow older and face changing needs, they and their families may turn to local resources for assistance. Several examples of such resources available in Montgomery are listed below. Some of these resources’ services make it possible to remain at home longer. Others help seniors find and adapt to other care arrangements.

Resource

Contact

Description

The CAAC operates the Aging and Disability Resource Center. The ADRC informs callers about potentially beneficial services and conducts screenings for eligibility; additionally, its agents help with applications. The CAAC also performs care coordination for seniors in its service area. Other offerings include the Senior Rx Program, which makes prescription drugs more affordable for eligible individuals, and counseling from the State Health Insurance Assistance Program, which helps seniors learn about Medicare benefits.

The LTC Ombudsman Program helps residents of long-term care facilities learn about their rights. The program also educates family members, and its representatives work to ensure high-quality care for seniors. Additionally, the program looks into and helps resolve complaints. Its services are confidential. (The CAAC facilitates ombudsmen services as well and may be a useful point of contact, too.)

The MACOA's flagship offering is Meals on Wheels. This program's drivers deliver hot lunchtime meals to homebound seniors who otherwise can't prepare food. The drivers also perform safety checks on meal recipients. Related offerings from the MACOA provide frozen food and pet food to seniors.

The MCAA may help income-eligible seniors cover their utility bills through its Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program and ABC Trust Program offerings. Additionally, the MCAA's Senior Citizen Program works to provide companionship and support to older adults.

At this office, seniors can learn about their benefits eligibility and get application assistance. The office also gives veterans information on VA health care options. Additionally, it administers certain benefits for family members and survivors of veterans.