Landmark at Oceanview

Reviews of Landmark at Oceanview

Assisted Living Reviews for Landmark at Oceanview

August 25, 2016

By markengraphics

I was very pleased with the staff, their attention to my mother, and the fact that the facility was bright and clean. I would recommend Oceanview to anyone who asked me about assisted living.

June 28, 2016

By Very Satisfied Family Member553251

I highly recommend the Oceanview for the care of your aging loved one or for yourself if age appropriate. The staff helped me and my family navigate through elderly healthcare and came up with financial strategies to meet our needs. Everyone at Oceanview is caring, kind, and truly cares about all of the residents. From the care directors to the daily aids, the residents safety and care are their number one priority. There are daily activities and the dining room overlooks the ocean, so pretty and calming. There are also stores, parks, and restaurants close enough to walk to, no driving required! Definitely worth a call and tour. Good Luck! Definitely

March 30, 2016

By Martha126191550

After being hesitant at first, my mother loved living here. She made many new friends and felt like she was living the dream. Good food, good care, nice apartment, friendly people and lots to do. The staff was outstanding.

July 30, 2015

We were able to visit Landmark at Oceanview. This place was our first choice because mom liked it. We found that the residents there were very relaxed and very interactive with one another. We love the appearance and the ambiance of the apartments. It was a very warm and welcoming place. They told us all of the activities and showed us the schedule of activities as well. They also showed us the menu so that we would know what kind of meals there were serving. They also told us about the transportation options and the fact that they have a dentist and a doctor on site. They also went over the price list with us.

July 17, 2015

By ssminoe

My family member has lived at OceanView for some time. They have received great care from the staff, they really care about the residents. The aides, nurses, housekeeping staff are wonderfull! But...There have been alot of changes over the past year and things are just not the same. The Executive Director and the Nursing Director left, among others... the building is run down, it needs updating, fixing. Stained, broken furniture, Tattered rugs, and is constantly leaking. With what my family and all the other families pay for rent, the company should be able to afford to make sure the roof isn't leaking! When we looked at places we decided on Oceanview because of the staff, its reputation, its homey feel and their contract with the pace program. We now hear through the grape vine, not by the Executive Director.... that the Pace program is no longer available! Yes, they don't even have the decency to notify us of such a change formally! Who is running this show? So what will happen when we can't afford for her to live there anymore? We were promised! BUYER BEWARE! THINK TWICE BEFORE MOVING INTO OCEANVIEW! I wish we had.

Landmark is committed to providing caring and committed staff that are well trained and dedicated so we are happy to hear that your family member has received great care from the staff at OceanView! Landmark has recently began making many improvements at OceanView to give it a fresh new look, while maintaining its historic appeal. We are excited to begin with new furniture, rugs, painting, décor and many other updates that we are sure our residents will be pleased with. We’ll try to limit any disruptions to our residents during this process and we’ll keep everyone well informed of our progress. We’re sure you’ll be impressed! Paying for senior living can be challenging for some residents once they have spent down assets. Landmark offers companion suite apartments which can lower the monthly fee for residents by over $1,000 each month. The Veteran Aid and Attendance Benefit can also be applied for and used to pay toward senior living costs. Please reach out to the Marketing Director at your community to see if your loved one qualifies.

July 04, 2015

I didn't like Landmark at Overview at all. It was depressing for me. It didn't seem like a happy place; it was old and needed to be refurbished. I actually saw the people when they were eating -- and I am talking about the memory care part of it -- and I don't know, but I would not want to be there or put anybody there. This is where I talked to a senior person who was sitting outside. He was really sad, and he said I am only here because I have to be; nobody's taking care of me. He wasn't a very happy person.

Landmark at OceanView is a beautifully restored historic building in downtown Beverly. Our residents and their families enjoy the building and the fact that it represents a true Landmark in their community. While the community does not have state-of-the-art technology, we are modern yet homey, and our penthouse deck overlooking the ocean is second to none! Annual survey results indicate that our residents and their families are truly happy living at OceanView. They feel well cared for and respected, and enjoy engaging in the activities and outings. Our memory care program is staffed with a well trained and caring team who,for over 15 years, have been putting smiles on the residents' faces and sense of purpose into their daily life. We are truly sorry that you may have encountered a resident who at the time did not appear to be happy, but we invite you back for lunch and an opportunity to spend some time with the residents and experience the true nature of our amazing community. Please feel free to call us at 978-927-4227!

August 28, 2014

I was able to visit Landmark at Oceanview. It's clean, quiet, attractive, and well kept. I like that it has a homey feeling to it. I saw their dining area and it looked nice. The staff were very friendly and informative.

May 10, 2014

I was impressed with Landmark. I liked the way it looked. It was homey; it had a lot of character. It didn't look like a hospital or an institution of any kind. The rooms were spacious. There was a good selection of different sizes. The building is a renovated school that was originally built in the 1800s. They've done a beautiful job with it. The director was very nice and very helpful and gave me her personal cell number if I needed anything. I would recommend going to look at it.

May 14, 2012

By nursemass

Landmark at Oceanview is an assisted living facility located in Beverly, MA. Beverly is a town in the northshore are of Boston that has an above average safety rating. I visited this facility last year to check on a senior resident. The Landmark is a big brick building located in downtown area of Beverly. Shops, churches, library, restaurants and movie theatre are located 5 to 10 minutes from the facility. Senior residents' apartments are spacious with oversized windows that offer a breathtaking view of Beverly and the ocean. Trained staff members are available to assist seniors with activities of daily living. The staff was friendly and helpful and seemed to have a close relationship with senior residents. I would recommend Landmark to a senior who is still leads an active life and likes living in the city.

Independent Living Reviews for Landmark at Oceanview

Questions about Landmark at Oceanview

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All staff must be trained in dementia care through in-services. Nurses and care aids who work more closely with our residents in Morning Star must complete more training to best help the residents and families.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Landmark at Oceanview. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Landmark at OceanView is a 65+ community with ages ranging from 65-100. Most of our residents are in their 70s and 80s with average in the lower 80s. Favorite activities include cards, bingo, word games, and crafts.

What programs or activities does Landmark at Oceanview offer to enrich residents' well-being?

OceanView offers daily activities to enrich the body and mind. Every morning, we offer stretching/light exercise to help strengthen their muscles. Other physical activities include ladder ball, ring toss, corn hole, walkers club, and Wii sports. To strengthen the mind, we offer morning talk with our activities director, which includes trivia, news updates, a "word within a word," and other word association games. We also offer monthly blood pressure clinics.

What places are near Landmark at Oceanview or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Landmark at OceanView is located right in the heart of downtown Beverly's art district. We are right across the street from the Cabot Street YMCA (which all residents receive membership to), and we are within walking distance of Beverly Commons, Ellis Square, the library, many churches, shops, restaurants, and the Cabot Street Theater.

What transportation services does Landmark at Oceanview offer to assisted living residents?

Landmark at OceanView has a shuttle bus that transports all interested residents during our weekly shopping trip. They usually go to the North Beverly shopping plaza, the mall, or Walmart. They also have 1-2 outings to restaurants per month and 1-2 other seasonal outings (apple orchard, beach/park, Christmas lights drive around, etc.). OceanView also offers transportation to and from one doctor's appointment per month.

What makes the chef or dining program at Landmark at Oceanview exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Every month, he has a dining forum so that residents are able to express their opinions about what they like, didn't like, or what they wish to see as an entree option. We offer 3 daily meals on our top floor, overlooking the ocean. At each meal, there are two daily specials as well as many daily options (soup, cereal, sandwiches, etc.). If a resident has any special dietary needs (gluten free, low sugar, low salt, etc.), our wait staff and food service manager is aware and will prepare something special to accommodate their needs.

What safety features or security measures does Landmark at Oceanview offer to assisted living residents?

Landmark at OceanView strives to ensure residents feel and are safe and secure. We offer concierge services from 8am-7pm weekdays and 9am-6pm on weekends. The concierge would make sure all visitors sign in and all residents sign out when leaving the building so that they can be accounted for. When our concierge goes home, the outside doors lock, and all visitors would need to get let in by our care aids. We have 24/7 care aid staff, and maintenance and nurses are on call 24/7 in case of an emergency. Each apartment is equipped with emergency pull cords in the bathroom and bedrooms in case further assistance is needed.

How does Landmark at Oceanview keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Landmark at OceanView makes sure to contact residents' emergency contacts and health care proxy by phone and email in case of a medical emergency. If we are trying to inform them of upcoming events or holiday parties, emails, flyers in their monthly rent, and flyers on our activities board will be posted for families.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Landmark at Oceanview during daytime and nighttime hours?

We staff based on need, and we have 24/7 care staff.

If Landmark at Oceanview accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Landmark at OceanView is a pet friendly community. They are allowed in common areas with their owner present. We are located next to Beverly Commons, which is a great big green space to walk a dog.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All staff must complete a certain number of in-service training classes, including topics on hospice care, emergency preparedness, dementia, and much more. These classes, which take place at our community, help teach/inform our staff how to handle certain situations with our residents and their families.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Landmark at Oceanview. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Independent Living and Assisted Living residents are very similar in activities and ages as listed above. For those who are able to get around well, they tend to like to venture off to enjoy what the city has to offer including going to the library, shops downtown, or walks around the Commons.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Because Landmark at OceanView is located in the heart of downtown Beverly, there are many places within walking distance for our residents to enjoy. We are located right next to the library, Beverly Commons (park), YMCA (all residents receive membership), many places of worship, and the newly updated Ellis Square, which features many town events, such as concerts and festivals. Cabot Street is at their fingertips, so they can walk to a number of stores and restaurants/cafes as well as the well-known Cabot Street Theater.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Landmark at Oceanview has organized?

Every Tuesday, we have a shoppers shuttle that goes out to a nearby shoppers plaza or mall (depending on interest of those going). They also have 1 restaurant trip per month as well as drive around to see the scenery or trips to local events, such as an art exhibit or local concert.

What transportation services does Landmark at Oceanview offer to independent living residents?

Landmark at OceanView provides transportation to and from 1 medical appointment per month. We also provide transportation through the shopper's shuttle on Tuesdays.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Each floor at OceanView has a seating area. The main common areas are the ground floor, where many residents like to watch the news, relax, and take part in activities, and the Penthouse, which includes the dining room, library, private dining room (can be reserved for residents and family upon request), and activities room.

Does Landmark at Oceanview work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Landmark at OceanView allows home care agencies to work with our residents. OceanView also works with Fox Rehab, who has an office in our building for Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy on site. A podiatrist also visits our community every three months, and we work with a physician who works on call for some of our residents.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We staff based on care needs of our residents. In memory care, the residents tend to need more care, so we staff based on number of residents and extent of the care.

What safety features or security measures does Landmark at Oceanview provide to protect residents who wander?

For residents who are wander risk, we recommend placing them on our secure memory care floor. In memory care (called Morning Star), you need a special key to get on the elevator or a code to get in the stairs. When off the floor, they must be accompanied by staff or a family member.

What programs or activities does Landmark at Oceanview offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Landmark at OceanView offers daily activities to strengthen the mind and body. Our memory care residents are able to partake in any activity in the building but must be accompanied by a care aid if it is off the secured memory care floor. Activities in memory care are geared mostly towards slowing down the cognitive decline with many word and memory games, musical exercises, and arts and crafts.

Before moving in, our nurse would do a formal assessment to see what type of care our new resident would need. She would also check their health and cognitive functioning at that time as well as viewing notes from their most recent physical or doctor's appointment. When they are settled into their apartment, the nurse would do another basic assessment and ensure their room is set up to best help their needs. Assessments are repeated after the first month and then as needed.

What techniques does Landmark at Oceanview use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Landmark at OceanView's memory care unit offers its own dining room area for residents to enjoy meals. When choosing which meal they would like, a member of our kitchen staff would bring down a plate of the two options, show them to the residents, and ask which they would prefer. If they do not like any of the options, our staff usually knows what their "usual" meal choices are and will ask if they would like a sandwich or soup. If necessary, we can blend the food or cut it up for them to help with mealtime.

How does Landmark at Oceanview keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Landmark at OceanView reaches out to our residents' emergency contacts and health care proxy by phone and email in case of a medical concern.

Describe the neighborhood around Landmark at Oceanview. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Landmark at OceanView is located in downtown Beverly with shops, churches, parks, library, and restaurants within walking distance.

Is Landmark at Oceanview affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Landmark at OceanView honors our residents' wishes as to which hospital they prefer. if there is no preference, we usually refer to Beverly Hospital, because it is 2 miles away and has a great wellness program and in-house specialists.

Costs for Landmark at Oceanview

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Activities Extra: Computer Class

• Home Sale Assistance

About Landmark at Oceanview

The Landmark at Oceanview is a dynamic senior residence situated in the heart of downtown Beverly. Renovated from the historic Briscoe School, it is just steps away from all the picturesque downtown area has to offer. Houses of worship, shops, the public library, a movie theatre, restaurants, and the YMCA are all close by. Sunlight streams through the oversized windows in studio, studio alcove, one bedroom, and two bedroom apartments. Every apartment includes a kitchenette, private bath, and the emergency call system. All residents enjoy a free YMCA membership and can participate in Landmark at Oceanview's exciting new Inter Generational Programs. The penthouse boasts a large common area with game tables, stereo system, a large screen television, and the beautiful Briscoe dining room which, with its large windows offers a breathtaking, panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean.

Map of Landmark at Oceanview