Brookdale Lake Mary

Reviews of Brookdale Lake Mary

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake Mary

February 26, 2015

By Pam102906650

My father is in an assisted living in Brookdale Lake Mary. Everything is very nice except for the carpeting. His room is very nice, and it's sufficient for him. It's just one room with a bathroom, and it has a small kitchenette with a small refrigerator and a couple of cupboards. The daytime staff are great; the middle of the night are not so good. What impressed me were the availability, the food, and the staff on site.

November 11, 2014

By Sandee3

I would never go to Emeritus. The rooms were small. The grounds and outside are beautiful, but the smell was bad. The staff was friendly. It just wasn’t the right place for him.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We are committed to continuous quality care and will share your feedback with our team to address the issues you have raised.

August 28, 2014

By Rachel15

I like the arrangement of the dining area at Emeritus at Lake Mary. It’s very much like a restaurant setting. You have multiple choices with regards to their food and I thought that was nice. They have numerous kinds of activities once a month, they have people who come in to entertain them as well. It's really nice. I definitely was able to check out the menu and they have a good assortment of food. They also kind of accommodate your likes and dislikes with regards to the food. The room is quite spacious. The staff looked like they had adequate staff. The people are very friendly and they greet everybody. It captivated me from the minute I walk in.

May 10, 2014

By jim upper

Emeritus was fine. The staff was excellent. I saw the rooms and the dining room, and they were all fine. However, the residents are a little crowded in the lobby area.

March 27, 2014

By gwen9

Joe was extremely helpful in fulfilling my requests and desires for my husband. It is first step initiative and he was tremendous and knowledgeable in his information. I deeply appreciate his concern as well as other members of the staff for the well-being of my husband.

December 01, 2013

Mom was at the Emeritus at Lake Mary's memory care unit. She has a studio apartment and it was really nice. The people there were all wonderful and really nice. The staff were very caring and sweet.

September 21, 2013

By flore

I visited this facility when looking for Respite Care for my Dad while we were away. It is a lovely place and the staff is very welcoming. The residents seemed happy and engaged in activities. The staff interacts with the residents, taking a few minutes to just stop and talk to the residents as they see them around the facility. The rooms are very nice and they are nicely furnished for those seeking just a temporary stay. We ended up choosing this facility because the staff here went the extra mile to make my Dad feel welcome. They came to the house to visit Dad and got to know him on his own turf. They listened to him and planned for a buddy resident with similar interests to help ease Dad into his new environment. The staff here is very understanding and compassionate.

June 25, 2013

By Charles13

Emeritus is a big complex, it's a lot newer and cleaner. They do your washing, three meals and two snacks every day and they help with your medicine. They have a doctor that comes every day. This place is better than the other one I visited.

March 18, 2013

By Jay2

Emeritus at Lake Mary was under different management when I moved my three aunts there. They wanted to be together. I just got disappointed because they got worse. When I first moved them there, they made their own ice cream and fresh cookies every day for dessert. There was a lot of enthusiasm. Everyone who work there was very friendly and really easy to reach on the phone. It took about five years until they all passed away. Over the years, the place changed hands and they became much less available. I found people wandering around the parking a lot.

March 15, 2013

Emeritus at Lake Mary have changed directors several times in the last two years. They change the staff so quickly that you never get a chance to get to know everybody. And I know someone who is currently living there.

June 29, 2012

The staff at Emeritus were absolutely the best while my father was there. He was an Alzheimer's patient and in that entire time he never got a bed sore. That was because the staff was always attentive, even when work loads were high due to flu outbreaks that happened only a few times. Every time we visited, he was well taken care of, clean, fed, and happy. The staff all knew him by name and us. Even those who had moved on to other positions would stop us in the street to ask how he was doing. So to me that has to be the best level of care possible and just shows how well trained and caring those staff in Emeritus. Thanks always to these people!

Questions about Brookdale Lake Mary

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our Care Team receives daily updates, monthly in-services on relevant topics to enhance the care of our memory care residents, as well as regularly scheduled trainings to review updated information on the care of those with dementia.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Lake Mary. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our overall population is fairly independent, loves to socialize and celebrate holidays. The average age is mid 80s and loves Out to Lunch every Monday, Happy Hours/Entertainment, Pet Visits & celebrations of a variety of holidays. They love being engaged in the community!

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to enrich residents' well-being?

There are a variety of activities and programs offered at Brookdale Lake Mary including Brookdale Fitness, Group Crossword Puzzles, Quilters Group, Happy Hours/Entertainment weekly, Bus Outings, movies & popcorn, pet visits and MORE!! We use the 6 dimensions of Optimum Life to design our program calendar to ensure each resident is finding purpose in their day – Social, Physical, Emotional, Purposeful, Spiritual, Intellectual

What places are near Brookdale Lake Mary or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

There are local restaurants, shopping (Target, Publix, Hobby Lobby, Fresh Market), fast food restaurants, Lake Mary Museum and Downtown Lake Mary, which includes weekly farmer’s markets, festivals and holiday events. We are located on a cul-de-sac, which makes for the perfect setting for walking in the morning or evenings.

What transportation services does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to assisted living residents?

We have scheduled, daily transportation during the week that includes lunch outings, doctor appointments, shopping, banking, and errands.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Lake Mary exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Dining Program is one that our residents have a role in and that is filled with a variety of options. Each day, our residents will have our Daily Menu that our Chef has selected, which will include up to 3 main entrée options with accompaniments & dessert. If those are not something they are interested in, we also have our Every Day Favorites Menu, which can be ordered from any day, any meal. This includes about 10 additional options that are generally daily favorites. We have a Menu Chat with our Chef every other week, where we review menus, get feedback and update on seasonal items that are coming up.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to assisted living residents?

We have Concierge Service 7 days a week during business hours, as well as locked & secured doors. We also have a Care Team available in the community 24/7.

How does Brookdale Lake Mary keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

At Brookdale Lake Mary, communication is a top priority, so we utilize the method preferred by the families to communicate with them about their loved ones, upcoming events, etc. We communicate with our residents verbally, written in flyers available in the Dining Room daily and displayed throughout the community. We use phone, text, email & mailing to keep everyone in the loop of what is happening within our community.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Lake Mary during daytime and nighttime hours?

We have a Care Team available 24/7 at our community and the ratio will depend on our occupancy at that time. Daytime there could be up to 5, our Nurse & our Health and Wellness Director. At night, there could be up to 4 with our Health and Wellness Director on-call 24/7. Our Team is trained on how to manage their time with our residents personalized care needs to ensure all care needs are met correctly.

If Brookdale Lake Mary accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are pet friendly and love having our residents bring their fur babies with them, when they join our family. They are able to walk their dogs in any of the common areas and have a great amount of space to take them on walks around the community area.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our whole Team received daily updates, monthly in services and regularly scheduled training based on the topic. We want to ensure that our Team is up to date on any & all pertinent training topics.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

In our Clare Bridge, there are typically 3 Care Team Members plus our Resident Program Coordinator available for care. At night, up to 3 are available to care for our Clare Bridge residents.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Mary provide to protect residents who wander?

Our Clare Bridge (Memory Care) is a secured area, where a code is needed to enter and leave this part of the community. Our Team is also aware and alert of residents who are currently living in Assisted Living that may want to wander to ensure that does not happen. Our entire Team also practices elopement training monthly to ensure each person knows what the correct protocol is, should a resident wander. Our community takes this very seriously and our residents’ safety is our #1 priority every single day.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

In our Clare Bridge, we use our Daily Path to establish a routine & keep our residents engaged daily. The Daily Path ensures that we are using our 6 dimensions of Optimum Life to encourage our Clare Bridge residents each day through a variety of activities. We also use what is called, their Life Story, which is a tool that is used to learn more about residents, as they move into our Clare Bridge Program, so that we can personally design their day based on their life, where they are in their journey and what activities & programs will bring them the most purpose. For example, if we learn that a female resident was a secretary during her life and in her dementia journey is in that timeframe, then we will create activities that will provide purpose for her in that role. This could include setting up a filing station, having a notepad to take notes, etc. Every resident is different and every story is different and unique.

Initially when a resident moves in to our community, our Health & Wellness Director will conduct as Assessment to determine their current care needs and learn more about what we should prepare for in the future. After the resident has moved in, we will reassess over the first 72 hours to ensure they are settling in and that the original assessment was accurate. We will then reassess the first 2 weeks and then at the completion of the first 30 days. Formal assessment are completed every 6 months, but our Care Team will reassess at any point that there is a change and more care is needed. This will also include a conversation with family to ensure that everyone is on the same page and aware of the care changes. We believe that care is a partnership and will be treated as such with each of our residents and families.

What techniques does Brookdale Lake Mary use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our techniques will be personalized to each resident. We have a variety of options including pre-cutting their meal into smaller bites, textured modified diets, puree options, and more. We want to create the best solution for each resident so that they can eat in a dignified manner.

How does Brookdale Lake Mary keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We ensure that there is open communication with all resident families and that we use the families preferred method of contact – phone call, text to get conversation started, one on one meetings, emails, etc. Again, care of our residents is viewed as a partnership and we want all communication to reflect that at our community.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Lake Mary. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are tucked away off of Lake Mary Blvd on a cul-de-sac, which provides privacy and a peaceful environment for everyone at our community. We have wooded areas surrounding our community and enjoy being close to local businesses, but located in a more quiet part of Lake Mary.

Is Brookdale Lake Mary affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

At Brookdale, any physicians or hospitals are family choice. We are not affiliated with any one hospital and can give recommendations based on those that we have worked with in the past.

Photos of Brookdale Lake Mary

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Lake Mary

About Brookdale Lake Mary

Our Family is Committed to Yours.®

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #10162