Brookdale Lake Mary

Reviews of Brookdale Lake Mary

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake Mary

August 14, 2021

By Daniel

I've been to Brookdale Lake Mary. It seemed OK. It was fine. It seemed clean. The rooms were OK. The price was very attractive, but it was assisted living. My mom has so many different needs; they finally said they couldn't take her. I understand that. It's very close to where I live, and it's a good location. They had different therapies and everything. They had the people that come in, like to do your haircuts and your nails and so forth. It was a nice lobby with a smaller lobby, but it seemed nice. The dining room seemed nice.

June 23, 2021

By Lynn

We liked Brookdale Lake Mary a lot. We toured both assisted living and memory care. We liked the staff that we ran into and I was very impressed that Laura knew every resident that we came in contact with. She knew the person's name and she engaged with them. The facility was clean, neat, and had a really good, uplifting feeling. They have a huge menu for people and the residents can come and go, and that was nice. People seem to be genuinely happy. We also met Bill, who is the social director. He's a pastor actually and runs a Bible study. I don't know if my mother would be able to participate, but I just thought that was lovely. They also had a space where they were doing memory games for the residents, and that was good too. We sampled one of the apartments, a studio, and it was nice and spacious. Every time you get off the elevator, you're near either the dining room or the social room, so it wasn't confusing for the elderly people. The hallways were bright and spacious, and I thought that was good. I didn't see a lot of wheelchairs just out in the hallway with people doing nothing. The residents seem to be doing some activities every time.

April 07, 2021

By Diane

My step-mom and dad moved into Brookdale Lake Mary. So far I've been very, very happy with it. It had by far the largest apartments that we had seen in any of the places, and that was a big deal for us. I've been very happy with everybody on the staff so far. They've been very happy with the food. It's actually one of the easiest places for the residents to get around of all the ones I've looked at, because everything comes off of one central hub that's straight up and down on all three floors, so all they'd have to do is step off the elevator on each floor, and that's where the activities happen.

February 01, 2021

By Marla

Brookdale Lake Mary was very nice. They didn't have a 2-bedroom-2-bath that my parents were looking for, but they offered the possibility that they could convert two units into one. They had a library and a game room, they offered in-house church service, and they had an activity director. During the normal time, they have activities where they go offsite. They are very Covid conscious. The facility was very clean. They have areas where you can visit your loved ones. Right now, they don't want you necessarily in their apartments, but you could go in and help them get moved in. The staff was very nice. A couple of people popped in and welcomed us. They were there to answer any questions we have or if we have any concerns. We didn't dine during the tour, and I don't think that's happening right now during Covid anyway. The grounds were well kept. There's ample parking if you want to have your own vehicle.

July 08, 2019

By charlotteG

I can’t thank the caring and loving staff of Brookdale Lake Mary enough for the difference they made in my mother’s life in her final years. You showed my mother so much compassion and encouraged her to be active which made a true difference in her happiness and quality of life. God bless you all.

June 29, 2018

By Laura

Brookdale Lake Mary was nice. The staff was excellent. I only saw one room, and it seemed spacious and nice. The memory care area only had a sitting area, a dining area, and a little bit of common space areas. We met two residents who seemed very happy, very high functioning, very clean, and definitely well cared for.

July 14, 2017

By CaringReviewer141627

Our experience at Brookdale Lake Mary is excellent. It doesn't feel like a nursing home; it is more conducive to home life. The staff is excellent, very attentive, very friendly, and very professional. They have people who come in and entertain them. They also have a salon, an exercise room, and a dining room that is set up like you're in a restaurant. The food is OK. The value for money is good for what we receive. Value is definitely there.

January 16, 2017

By Hope More

I lived in NY and my father stayed at Brookdale Lake Mary FL. Not possible to travel due to costs however the great caregivers at Lake Mary always gave me peace of mind he had his need well cared for. Dad passed away Dec 2016 and I know his stay at Brookdale was the right place to be. God Bless John

February 21, 2016

By Visitor120753950

We visited Brookdale Lake Mary for my dad. The room was large and more reasonably priced. It was very nice with wide hallways and communal dining area. All in all, it was very nice. They appeared to cater to the residents, who were very happy.

July 28, 2015

My mother is in Brookdale Lake Mary. They seem to be very responsive, and they are open to suggestions. The staff seems to be friendly. I am happy with it. She has a studio apartment, and it is large. It has a nice layout, and there is enough closet space. They have happy hours, live entertainment, and outings. I would recommend it.

May 28, 2015

By Gloria44

We didn’t have a good experience at Brookdale Lake Mary. My mother was there only a little more than a week. I paid a lot of money to put her there, and my only request was that somebody check on her a certain amount of times during the day and escort her to the dining room so she got her meals. They did not do that, and two days after I left on a trip, she fell and split her head open while trying to make it to the dining room with no assistance. When she fell, I think there was approximately 25 minutes before they responded to her alert button. I did call the fire department, and the fire department confirmed it for me. I showed up at different times. I would walk in late in the afternoon, and I wouldn’t see anybody anywhere other than people just on the porch smoking; I felt very uncomfortable. In my opinion, the rooms and apartments are substandard for what they get. I look at baseboards and the bathrooms, just the little details. It doesn’t have to be new, but they could do a better job of cleaning. The dining room and the tables look nice. She enjoyed their meal in the dining hall, but being someone who didn’t see well, she needed to have somebody come to the table and say this is what we have to offer you to eat today; you can have this or you can have that. Mother wouldn’t necessarily speak up, so they would bring her stuff that she couldn’t chew or eat or didn’t even care for because she couldn’t read the menu. I looked around the room, and I’d say 90% of the people need softer foods. They need things that are either pre-cut-up or things that they can do themselves. It seemed like they were just in a hurry to bring you something and walk away. When we went there, they said that you’re not allowed to have rails on your beds, so we had to rent a hospital bed because it made it easier for her to raise it up and then get out of bed. When we rented the hospital bed, they made us take the rails off, so she still had nothing to pull up on. Somebody else might find it fine; it just didn’t work for us at all. It’s not a place I would recommend for somebody.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. Please be assured the safety and well-being of our residents is our first priority and we share their concerns as well as the concerns of their loved ones. We would welcome an opportunity to discuss it with you personally and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296.

April 14, 2015

Brookdale Lake Mary was very beautiful. The salesman and the folks were very friendly, but it was not a good fit for my mother. It was too big for her. The surrounding was very upscale. The rooms were beautiful. The dining room looked good. They had a variety of activities. It would be good for an elderly person who still had some capabilities to take care of themselves.

February 26, 2015

By Pam102906650

My father is in an assisted living in Brookdale Lake Mary. Everything is very nice except for the carpeting. His room is very nice, and it's sufficient for him. It's just one room with a bathroom, and it has a small kitchenette with a small refrigerator and a couple of cupboards. The daytime staff are great; the middle of the night are not so good. What impressed me were the availability, the food, and the staff on site.

November 11, 2014

By Sandee3

I would never go here. The rooms were small. The grounds and outside are beautiful, but the smell was bad. The staff was friendly. It just wasn’t the right place for him.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We are committed to continuous quality care and will share your feedback with our team to address the issues you have raised.

August 28, 2014

By Rachel15

I like the arrangement of the dining area. It’s very much like a restaurant setting. You have multiple choices with regards to their food and I thought that was nice. They have numerous kinds of activities once a month, they have people who come in to entertain them as well. It's really nice. I definitely was able to check out the menu and they have a good assortment of food. They also kind of accommodate your likes and dislikes with regards to the food. The room is quite spacious. The staff looked like they had adequate staff. The people are very friendly and they greet everybody. It captivated me from the minute I walk in.

May 10, 2014

By jim upper

It was fine. The staff was excellent. I saw the rooms and the dining room, and they were all fine. However, the residents are a little crowded in the lobby area.

March 27, 2014

By gwen9

Joe was extremely helpful in fulfilling my requests and desires for my husband. It is first step initiative and he was tremendous and knowledgeable in his information. I deeply appreciate his concern as well as other members of the staff for the well-being of my husband.

September 21, 2013

By flore

I visited this facility when looking for Respite Care for my Dad while we were away. It is a lovely place and the staff is very welcoming. The residents seemed happy and engaged in activities. The staff interacts with the residents, taking a few minutes to just stop and talk to the residents as they see them around the facility. The rooms are very nice and they are nicely furnished for those seeking just a temporary stay. We ended up choosing this facility because the staff here went the extra mile to make my Dad feel welcome. They came to the house to visit Dad and got to know him on his own turf. They listened to him and planned for a buddy resident with similar interests to help ease Dad into his new environment. The staff here is very understanding and compassionate.

June 25, 2013

By Charles13

It is a big complex, it's a lot newer and cleaner. They do your washing, three meals and two snacks every day and they help with your medicine. They have a doctor that comes every day. This place is better than the other one I visited.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Lake Mary

Questions about Brookdale Lake Mary

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our Care Team receives daily updates, monthly in-services on relevant topics to enhance the care of our memory care residents, as well as regularly scheduled trainings to review updated information on the care of those with dementia.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Lake Mary. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our overall population is fairly independent, loves to socialize and celebrate holidays. The average age is mid 80s and loves Out to Lunch every Monday, Happy Hours/Entertainment, Pet Visits & celebrations of a variety of holidays. They love being engaged in the community!

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to enrich residents' well-being?

There are a variety of activities and programs offered at Brookdale Lake Mary including Brookdale Fitness, Group Crossword Puzzles, Quilters Group, Happy Hours/Entertainment weekly, Bus Outings, movies & popcorn, pet visits and MORE!! We use the 6 dimensions of Optimum Life to design our program calendar to ensure each resident is finding purpose in their day – Social, Physical, Emotional, Purposeful, Spiritual, Intellectual

What places are near Brookdale Lake Mary or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

There are local restaurants, shopping (Target, Publix, Hobby Lobby, Fresh Market), fast food restaurants, Lake Mary Museum and Downtown Lake Mary, which includes weekly farmer’s markets, festivals and holiday events. We are located on a cul-de-sac, which makes for the perfect setting for walking in the morning or evenings.

What transportation services does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to assisted living residents?

We have scheduled, daily transportation during the week that includes lunch outings, doctor appointments, shopping, banking, and errands.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Lake Mary exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Dining Program is one that our residents have a role in and that is filled with a variety of options. Each day, our residents will have our Daily Menu that our Chef has selected, which will include up to 3 main entrée options with accompaniments & dessert. If those are not something they are interested in, we also have our Every Day Favorites Menu, which can be ordered from any day, any meal. This includes about 10 additional options that are generally daily favorites. We have a Menu Chat with our Chef every other week, where we review menus, get feedback and update on seasonal items that are coming up.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to assisted living residents?

We have Concierge Service 7 days a week during business hours, as well as locked & secured doors. We also have a Care Team available in the community 24/7.

How does Brookdale Lake Mary keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

At Brookdale Lake Mary, communication is a top priority, so we utilize the method preferred by the families to communicate with them about their loved ones, upcoming events, etc. We communicate with our residents verbally, written in flyers available in the Dining Room daily and displayed throughout the community. We use phone, text, email & mailing to keep everyone in the loop of what is happening within our community.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Lake Mary during daytime and nighttime hours?

We have a Care Team available 24/7 at our community and the ratio will depend on our occupancy at that time. Daytime there could be up to 5, our Nurse & our Health and Wellness Director. At night, there could be up to 4 with our Health and Wellness Director on-call 24/7. Our Team is trained on how to manage their time with our residents personalized care needs to ensure all care needs are met correctly.

If Brookdale Lake Mary accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are pet friendly and love having our residents bring their fur babies with them, when they join our family. They are able to walk their dogs in any of the common areas and have a great amount of space to take them on walks around the community area.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our whole Team received daily updates, monthly in services and regularly scheduled training based on the topic. We want to ensure that our Team is up to date on any & all pertinent training topics.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

In our Clare Bridge, there are typically 3 Care Team Members plus our Resident Program Coordinator available for care. At night, up to 3 are available to care for our Clare Bridge residents.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Mary provide to protect residents who wander?

Our Clare Bridge (Memory Care) is a secured area, where a code is needed to enter and leave this part of the community. Our Team is also aware and alert of residents who are currently living in Assisted Living that may want to wander to ensure that does not happen. Our entire Team also practices elopement training monthly to ensure each person knows what the correct protocol is, should a resident wander. Our community takes this very seriously and our residents’ safety is our #1 priority every single day.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Mary offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

In our Clare Bridge, we use our Daily Path to establish a routine & keep our residents engaged daily. The Daily Path ensures that we are using our 6 dimensions of Optimum Life to encourage our Clare Bridge residents each day through a variety of activities. We also use what is called, their Life Story, which is a tool that is used to learn more about residents, as they move into our Clare Bridge Program, so that we can personally design their day based on their life, where they are in their journey and what activities & programs will bring them the most purpose. For example, if we learn that a female resident was a secretary during her life and in her dementia journey is in that timeframe, then we will create activities that will provide purpose for her in that role. This could include setting up a filing station, having a notepad to take notes, etc. Every resident is different and every story is different and unique.

Initially when a resident moves in to our community, our Health & Wellness Director will conduct as Assessment to determine their current care needs and learn more about what we should prepare for in the future. After the resident has moved in, we will reassess over the first 72 hours to ensure they are settling in and that the original assessment was accurate. We will then reassess the first 2 weeks and then at the completion of the first 30 days. Formal assessment are completed every 6 months, but our Care Team will reassess at any point that there is a change and more care is needed. This will also include a conversation with family to ensure that everyone is on the same page and aware of the care changes. We believe that care is a partnership and will be treated as such with each of our residents and families.

What techniques does Brookdale Lake Mary use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our techniques will be personalized to each resident. We have a variety of options including pre-cutting their meal into smaller bites, textured modified diets, puree options, and more. We want to create the best solution for each resident so that they can eat in a dignified manner.

How does Brookdale Lake Mary keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We ensure that there is open communication with all resident families and that we use the families preferred method of contact – phone call, text to get conversation started, one on one meetings, emails, etc. Again, care of our residents is viewed as a partnership and we want all communication to reflect that at our community.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Lake Mary. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are tucked away off of Lake Mary Blvd on a cul-de-sac, which provides privacy and a peaceful environment for everyone at our community. We have wooded areas surrounding our community and enjoy being close to local businesses, but located in a more quiet part of Lake Mary.

Is Brookdale Lake Mary affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

At Brookdale, any physicians or hospitals are family choice. We are not affiliated with any one hospital and can give recommendations based on those that we have worked with in the past.

Costs for Brookdale Lake Mary

• Memory Care Training

• State Licenses: AL10162

• Get Costs

About Brookdale Lake Mary

Brookdale Lake Mary is a senior living facility that offers a home-like setting with the assistance seniors need. The professional staff greets residents every day and respects their independence while providing them with the care they need. The peaceful setting, restaurant-style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment every day. Residents will appreciate all the options while living in an Emeritus Senior Living community. Residents become part of the Emeritus family through special events, activities, clubs and ongoing cultural enrichment programs. The facility offers unlimited opportunities for residents to socialize with each other and get to know the staff.

Map of Brookdale Lake Mary