6 Assisted Living Facilities near Mcallen, TX
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mcallen area, with 2 in Mcallen and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mcallen is $2,900 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,405.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mcallen. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mcallen 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Pharr with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mcallen, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mcallen, TX
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Mcallen, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mcallen
U.S. News and World Report lists McAllen as one of the best places to live in the United States, ranking it as the sixth best place to retire in the country. Seniors can take advantage of all the city has to offer from two assisted living facilities, with another four available nearby in towns including Edinburg, Mission and Pharr.
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services licenses two types of assisted living facilities: Type A hosts residents who can follow directions in an emergency and who don't typically need assistance overnight, while Type B cares for those who need help overnight and in an evacuation. Both types provide room, board and personal care services within a safe residential environment.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mcallen
- McAllen has a hot, subtropical climate. Summers are uncomfortably humid due to the proximity of the Gulf of Mexico, with seasonal thunderstorms bringing heavy rain. Weather turns mild during the winter, and snow and freezing are rare.
- The cost of living in McAllen is 19.1 percent lower than the national average cost of living, making it an attractive option for seniors on a fixed budget.
- McAllen has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Lower Rio Grande Valley Area Agency on Aging, an organization that provides legal assistance, support groups and health counseling, as well as three senior centers.
- Metro McAllen provides the city's public transportation with seven bus routes running every day but Sunday. Seniors enjoy half-priced fares and paratransit is also available.
- The McAllen area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Rio Grande Regional Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The city of McAllen, which wants to support local artists, has established its Arts District downtown. Seniors can join other locals in First Friday art walks from September to May. The McAllen Performing Arts Center hosts traveling Broadway shows and other nationally known performers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mcallen
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Mcallen start around $2,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mcallen and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mcallen
Eligible seniors in McAllen may qualify for the Texas STAR+PLUS program, which is a Medicaid managed care program that provides financial assistance that may cover the costs of assisted living. Applicants must meet both functional and financial requirements and enrollment is limited. In Hidalgo County, where McAllen is located, STAR+PLUS members must choose HealthSpring, Molina Healthcare of Texas or Superior HealthPlan as their medical plan.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mcallen
Mcallen and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mcallen, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mcallen
Mcallen-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Mcallen, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mcallen
Review of Biltmore Assisted Living
My aunt Maria was recently placed at the Biltmore Assisted living facility in McAllen, Texas. I am sure that she will be fine there. I visited her this past weekend and couldn't help but notice h... Read more