1 Assisted Living Facility in Brownsville, TX
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Brownsville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Brownsville 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Harlingen with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brownsville, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brownsville
Brownsville is located near the Mexican border and is steeped in intriguing history. With approximately 18 percent of Brownsville residents over the age of 60, there is a distinct need for assisted living facilities to help seniors who need support with the tasks associated with day-to-day life, such as eating and drinking and medication management. In the Brownsville area there are 37 of these assisted living communities, with 36 within the Brownsville city limits and one located in the nearby city of Los Fresnos. The Texas Health and Human Services Department regulates assisted living communities in Brownsville and the surrounding areas.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brownsville
- With an average annual temperature of 74 degrees Fahrenheit and average annual rainfall of 27 inches, Brownsville is prone to hot and humid weather. Seniors who enjoy spending their time outdoors won't normally have to worry about adverse weather conditions.
- Brownsville has a crime rate that is higher than 88 percent of Texas' cities and towns of all sizes. Violent crimes occur at a rate of around five per 1,000 citizens, slightly higher than the U.S. average of four per 1,000 citizens. Property crime is reported at a rate of 34 per 1,000 citizens, considerably more than the U.S. average of 25 per 1,000.
Brownsville has a number of unique museums detailing the vibrant history of the area. There are also a number of museums and historical re-enactment sites.
- The Brownsville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Valley Regional Medical Center and the Valley Baptist Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Brownsville is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Brownsville has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Brownsville Senior Center, an organization that encourages seniors to play an active role in their local community as well as one or more other senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brownsville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Brownsville start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brownsville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brownsville
Eligible seniors in the Texas area can access funding from the Medicaid program to help them pay for the cost of their assisted living community.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brownsville
Brownsville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brownsville, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brownsville
Brownsville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Brownsville, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Brownsville
Review of Spanish Meadows
Spanish Meadows was nice and clean. I just didnt see the staff being as caring as where my mom is moving to. They print out the activities for the month. Read more
Review of Spanish Meadows
The first time I arrived at Spanish Meadows to visit my grandmother was one that I probably will not forget. Right when I had entered the building, I was greeted by so many of the workers, and they... Read more