3 Assisted Living Facilities near Astoria, OR
Also serving communities of Warrenton.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Astoria area, with 2 in Astoria and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Astoria is $4,080 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,595.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Astoria. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Astoria 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Astoria, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Astoria, OR
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Astoria
The port city of Astoria lies on the mouth of the Columbia River and is Oregon’s oldest city, founded in 1811. Seniors enjoy easy access to lush forests, the Pacific Ocean and a downtown riverfront boardwalk. Here Old 300, a trolley built in 1913 and lovingly restored by Astoria volunteers in 1999, shuttles riders along 2.6 miles of the waterfront.
Astoria has an estimated population of almost 10,000 residents, 21.4% of whom are aged 65 and older. When these seniors need around-the-clock help, they can find it at two assisted living facilities in Astoria. Oregon seniors also receive care in residential care facilities. The Oregon Department of Human Services licenses both ALFs and RCFs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Astoria
- Seniors who don’t like overcast, rainy days may not enjoy Astoria. The city receives only 127 sunny days per year, much less than the national average of 205. Astoria averages 86 inches of annual rainfall, more than double the U.S. average of 38 inches per year.
- Astoria’s 6.4-mile paved Riverwalk provides history-loving seniors with multiple venues that showcase the coastal town’s maritime history, art and culture. The Astoria-Megler Bridge, Maritime Memorial, Columbia River Maritime Museum and Oregon Film Museum are all within walking distance of the trail. Nearby Lewis and Clark National Historical Park and Fort Stevens State Park offer more historically rich terrain for recreational adventures.
- Astoria offers an array of community resources for seniors, including the Astoria Senior Center, which provides meals, recreational, educational and social activities, exercise classes and weekly musical jam sessions. A bus service takes seniors to local grocery stores twice per week.
- Seniors may find they get more bang for the buck in Astoria, where health care, utilities and transportation costs are all lower than the U.S. average. However, groceries cost about 10% higher than the national average.
- Astoria’s property crime rate of 65.8 is nearly double the U.S. average of 35.4. However, violent crime in Astoria rates 14.6, well below the national average of 22.7 out of 100. Seniors may want to ask whether a retirement community under consideration is protected by state-of-the-art security and monitoring systems.
- The Astoria area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Columbia Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Astoria
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Oregon
Assisted Living costs in Astoria start around $3,063 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Astoria and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Astoria
Astoria seniors over age 65 may be eligible for help paying for some costs associated with ALFs and RCFs from the Oregon Medicaid Aged & Physically Disabled 1915(c) Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Astoria
Astoria and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Astoria, please visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Astoria
Astoria-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Oregon are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Astoria
Review of Astor Place
Astor Place was nice. It was clean and simple. It was good. My mom doesn't necessarily want to move up here though. It was super clean, well presented, and the staff was courteous. The facility was... Read more
Review of Astor Place
My friends have moved into Astor Place. We chose this place because it's a smaller place, and several friends of mine know people there or even have a parent there, and they say it's nice. Frankly,... Read more
Review of Astor Place
I visited Astor Place to see my uncle. I am so impressed, the community is in great condition, classy, comfortable, and had a very welcome feeling. The staff were very engaging and pleasant. I c... Read more