5 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnstown, NY
Also serving communities of Canajoharie.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Johnstown area, with 2 in Johnstown and 3 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 13 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Johnstown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Johnstown 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Johnstown, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Johnstown, NY
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnstown, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Johnstown
Founded by General Sir William Johnson, who served in North America during the Seven Years War, the small town of Johnstown is known for celebrating its history. Today, more than 8,000 people call this community home, and 16.5% of them are aged 65 and over. Some of the seniors who need help with daily activities in this community get the care they require at the two assisted living facilities in town. These are officially designated as Adult Care Facilities (ACF) by the state of New York, and they are licensed and regulated by the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Johnstown
- Seniors who enjoy the outdoors may not appreciate the cold and snowy winters in Johnstown, but the summer is pleasant. The average low temperature in January is just 10 degrees, and 73 inches of snow falls on average every year.
- Johnstown is a very affordable place for seniors to live, especially when compared to many other parts of New York. The overall cost of living is 46.2 points lower than the state average of 129.4. It's 16.8% lower than the national average of 100.
- Since New York does not tax income from Social Security or state and local government benefits, seniors in Johnstown may be able to put more money towards assisted living.
- Johnstown celebrates its history through its arts and culture with plenty of locations for local seniors to enjoy. The Johnson Hall State Historic Site maintains some of the architecture and artifacts from the colonial era. Mrs. Henry's Boarding House is an important landmark for the women's suffrage movement.
- Johnstown has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Gloversville.
- Seniors looking for a safe place to live may be attracted to the low level of violent crime in Johnstown. The city has a violent crime rating that's 12.3 points lower than the national average of 22.7.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Johnstown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Johnstown start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Johnstown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Johnstown
The Assisted Living Program (ALP) pays for room and board at an assisted care facility to help keep them out of a nursing home. The Managed Long Term Care Waiver (MLTC) funds personal assistance services for seniors already living at assisted care facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Johnstown
Johnstown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Johnstown, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Johnstown
Johnstown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Johnstown, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Johnstown
Review of Willing Helpers' Home for Women Inc
My mother is in Willing Helpers' Home for Women, and it has been a good experience with them. I would say it's not your modern assisted living facility. It’s more of an adult home that reminds me o... Read more
Review of Pineview Commons Home for Adults
Pine View Commons is very convenient for us and it seems to offer all of the amenities that my mother-in-law needs. Everything is very clean and very pleasant. She seems to be very well taken care ... Read more
Review of Willing Helpers' Home for Women Inc
From the time that you walk into the facility you feel like you are at home. The staff and the residents interact like family. Many staff treat the residents like their own family and that is wha... Read more