The 3 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Herkimer, NY for 2023
Also serving communities of Mohawk, Middleville.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Herkimer area, with 2 in Herkimer and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Herkimer. Better rated regions include New Hartford with an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Herkimer, call (855) 948-3865.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Herkimer, New York
The Mohawk Homestead
62 E Main St, Mohawk, NY, 13407
"The Mohawk Homestead was very homey, but you had to share in some of their rooms, like the showers and the bedrooms. The rooms were tiny and you couldn't really put anything in it except a TV. There's also a stairway so it wasn't a good fit for my..."READ MORE
Middleville Rest Home
19 S Main St, P.O. Box 128, Middleville, NY, 13406
"NOT AT ALL a nice place. If possible, I'd give it a "zero". My 45 y/o sister, who has mental and physical health issues, has lived there for about a month and she hates it. The food is mostly soup/sandwiches, hotdogs, canned fruit, lots of wh..."READ MORE
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Caring's Family Advisors are here to help you with questions about senior living and care options.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Herkimer
The town of Herkimer is named after Nicholas Herkimer, an 18th-century brigadier in the Tryon County militia who fought in the American Revolution. Herkimer is home to just 9,729 residents, but more than 22 percent of those residents are aged 65 years or older. Local seniors interested in exploring their options for assisted living facilities will find two such facilities in Herkimer proper and another five communities in the surrounding area.
Assisted living facilities in Herkimer fall under the state definition for adult care facilities (ACF) and are subject to those regulations. These facilities and their residents are overseen by the New York State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Herkimer
- The climate in Herkimer is heavy on precipitation, with rain and snowfall far exceeding the national average. Though summers are relatively comfortable with highs around 81 degrees Fahrenheit, winter lows dip to just 12 degrees Fahrenheit, which may be unpleasant for seniors sensitive to the cold.
- Compared to the rest of the United States, Herkimer experiences more violent crime (56.1 on a scale of 1 to 100 versus the national average of 31.1) and more property crime, which may worry seniors who are especially concerned with safety.
- There are some interesting options for arts and culture in and around Herkimer, including the Mowhawk Center for the Arts, which offers discounted memberships for seniors interested in art classes, and the annual Herkimer County Arts and Crafts Fair.
- Public transportation in Herkimer is practically non-existent, however, both the county and the local chapter Catholic Charities offer reservation-based transportation services for seniors in need of a ride to a doctor’s appointment, the grocery store or other key destinations.
- Herkimer has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Utica.
- Herkimer has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Herkimer County Office for the Aging, which offers everything from mobility assistance programs to counseling, and the Arc Herkimer Senior Center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Herkimer
Assisted Living costs in Herkimer start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Herkimer and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Cities in New York
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Herkimer
New York State offers a number of programs for low-income seniors in need of financial assistance to cover in-home care and other medical costs, but financial help for those interested in assisted living is limited to two Medicaid initiatives, the Assisted Living Program (ALP) and the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Herkimer
Herkimer and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Herkimer, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Herkimer
Herkimer-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.