Assisted Living Facilities in Cooperstown, NY
Also serving communities of Sharon Springs.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cooperstown, call (855) 948-3865.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Cooperstown, New York
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Caring's Family Advisors are here to help you with questions about senior living and care options.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cooperstown
The birthplace of baseball and America's first true native novelist, James Fenimore Cooper, Cooperstown, New York, is a village that has much to offer. Seniors looking for a quieter environment to settle in but still wanting to stay active may enjoy attractions such as the Baseball Hall of Fame or the local Famers' Museum.
Cooperstown has a population of just over 1,700 people, of whom 20.6% are over the age of 65. To help serve its older residents who may need some assistance with life's daily chores, it has two facilities. These are known as assisted living facilities and are licensed by the New York Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cooperstown
- Seniors with respiratory or pulmonary issues find Cooperstown a welcome change from most other locals. With a score of 92 on the EPA's Air Toxics Assessment, just 8 points from perfect, the air quality far exceeds the national average of 58.
- Summer highs in the upper 70s are welcomed by many seniors who enjoy being outdoors, but lows in the mid-teens and an average 93 inches of snow each year could make winters in Cooperstown challenging.
- Security-minded seniors may find Cooperstown crime statistics a welcome surprise. At 7.6, its violent crime rate is well below the national average of 22.7 and a state rate of 21.1, and its property crime shows a similar trend at 14.8 versus 35.4 for the nation and 24.5 at the state level.
- At 103.6 Cooperstown's cost of living is marginally higher than the national standard of 100 but well below the State of New York's average of 129.4. For seniors with limited financial resources, this could be an important consideration.
- The Cooperstown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bassett Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Non-driving seniors should be aware that public transport is severely limited in Cooperstown. There is a trolley system in place, but availability varies by season and it serves a limited number of stops. There is a senior discount offered for those choosing to buy seasonal trolley passes.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cooperstown
Assisted Living costs in Cooperstown start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cooperstown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Cities in New York
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cooperstown
Low-income seniors needing help to pay for care in Cooperstown have two options: The Supplemental Security Income Program (SSI) combines with New York's State Supplement Program to provide extra income, and the Assisted Living Program is offered by New York State to those who are eligible for nursing home care but are better served by other forms of living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cooperstown
Cooperstown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cooperstown, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cooperstown
Cooperstown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.