2 Assisted Living Facilities in Rome, NY
Also serving communities of Oneida.
The average cost of assisted living in Rome is $1,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,650.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rome, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Rome, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rome
Located in the center of the state of New York, Rome sits at the base of the Adirondacks. It was once called Copper City, as 10 percent of all of America's copper was manufactured here. It is now an ideal suburb to retire in, as nearly 18 percent of its population consists of locals over the age of 65. There are five assisted living facilities in the Rome area for seniors to choose from, all of which are licensed, certified and regulated by the New York Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rome
Weather in Rome, New York has four defined seasons. Winters are cold with lows that dip into single digits in January, accompanied by snow averaging 114 inches per year. Summers don't get very hot, rarely rising above the low 80s in July. Spring and fall will usually require light jackets for seniors.
- Rome has excellent air quality almost year-round, which is great for seniors to breathe easy.
- The cost of living in Rome is well below the national average, due primarily to inexpensive housing. Beyond low home prices, however, monthly essentials for seniors such as groceries, utilities and transportation are in line with national averages.
- When it comes to crime in Rome, the city is safer than 28 percent of other cities in the nation. Most of the crime is property-related, with an average higher than the rest of the state. Violent crime is significantly below the state average, making it safe for seniors.
- The Office for Aging and Continuing Care in Oneida County provides volunteer transportation services for residents who are 60 years and older and not receiving Medicaid benefits. A number of other private transportation services or drivers for seniors also exist in the Oneida County area, serving towns like Rome.
- Rome has no/few facilities from which to choose from in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Utica.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rome
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Rome start around $1,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rome and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rome
New York state has an Assisted Living Program that pays the cost of the services in licensed assisted living facilities for seniors who qualify. However, a high level of care is required for participants, equivalent to what one would receive in a nursing home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rome
Rome and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rome, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rome
Rome-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Rome
Review of Bethany Gardens Skilled Living Center
The rooms are somewhat dated. The facility is short staffed. The food, or lack of, awful. Rarely get what is ordered from menu. The food is usually overcooked, mostly not edible.The food is not nut... Read more