8 Assisted Living Facilities near Saint James, MO
Also serving communities of Salem.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Saint James area, with 3 in Saint James and 5 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Saint James. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Saint James 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Rolla with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Saint James, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Saint James, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Saint James
Maramec Spring Park is five miles from Saint James, and local seniors can enjoy its natural spring and walking trails. Activities there include free fishing in Dry Fork Creek and bird watching for eagles and great blue herons. In the Saint James area, over 11% of the population is 65 years or older and some of them may eventually need help with the activities of daily living.
There are three assisted living facilities in Saint James and five others in nearby Rolla and Cuba. They provide personal care and assistance with the needs of daily living and are regulated by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Saint James
- Water quality in Saint James is among the best in the country with a score of 100 on a scale of 1-100, worst to best. Air quality is 62, better than the national average of 58, which is helpful for seniors with respiratory ailments.
- Summers can be warm for seniors in Saint James, as temperatures reach 88 degrees in July. There are usually about 12 inches of snowfall in the winter and about nine snow days. The climate in Saint James is rated slightly more comfortable than the national average.
- The overall cost of living in Missouri is 92.5% of the weighted U.S. average of 100, and in Saint James, it's even lower at 84.1%. Healthcare costs for seniors are high at 118%, but that's balanced by lower costs for housing, utilities and transportation.
- In Saint James, violent crime is low, making it a safe area for seniors, but property crime is higher than the national average. On a scale of 1-100, Saint James gets a score of 15.5 for violent crime and 43.2 for property crime, compared to the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- The Saint James area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Phelps County Medical Center fifteen minutes away in Rolla and the Saint James VA Clinic in Saint James, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- There are eight wineries near Saint James that offer tours, activities and gardens that are open to the public. Saint James winery includes a waterfall and café for seniors to enjoy, along with bocce ball courts and a life-sized chessboard.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Saint James
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Saint James start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Saint James and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint James
Through MO HealthNet, the Supplemental Nursing Care (SNC) Program offers some assistance with the cost of assisted living for seniors in Saint James. Missouri also offers an optional state supplement (OSS) to eligible residents. The monthly stipend includes a deduction for the personal needs of the senior.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Saint James
Saint James and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Saint James, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint James
Saint James-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Saint James
Review of Cedar Knoll Home
The facility was basic, but patient needs were well provided for. It had a very homey feeling to it; it felt very warm and comfortable. The residents were all very polite and friendly. There wer... Read more