2 Assisted Living Facilities in Milaca, MN
Also serving communities of Onamia.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Milaca, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Milaca
Milaca, a small community of about 3,000 residents, is the county seat of Mille Lacs County and is located in the heart of Minnesota. It has an array of community resources for seniors, who make up nearly a quarter of the population, including Senior LinkAge, an organization that connects local seniors with resources like transportation, financial assistance and congregate dining programs, as well as one senior center.
Milaca seniors who need assistance with some activities of daily living and no longer wish to live at home have two assisted living facilities to choose from. These facilities are required to register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Milaca
- Milaca is an affordable place to live, especially in comparison to the average Minnesota city. The cost of living here is roughly 10% below the national average and 15% below the statewide average. Seniors who are seeking affordable assisted living options may find a community that fits their budget in Milaca.
- While property crime occurs here at the same rate as in the average U.S. city, Milaca's violent crime rate is 15% lower than the national average. This may make the city a good option for seniors seeking a safe community.
Summers in Milaca are comfortable with July highs around 82 degrees, giving local retirees plenty of opportunities to enjoy the city's outdoor amenities. Winters are very cold with lows around 1 degree, and the average annual snowfall is 45 inches.
- The Milaca area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Princeton.
- Seniors with respiratory conditions can breathe safely in Milaca, where the air quality rates 82 out of 100. This score is 24 points higher than the national average, indicating that there is less pollution than in the average U.S. city.
- Social Security benefits are partially taxed in Minnesota, and all other retirement income is fully taxed as regular income. The state also has a high sales tax rate. Seniors may want to speak to a tax professional to determine how the state's income tax will affect their assisted living budget.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Milaca
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Milaca start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Milaca and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Milaca
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Milaca
Milaca and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Milaca, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Milaca
Milaca-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.