2 Assisted Living Facilities in Pigeon, MI
Also serving communities of Bad Axe.
The average cost of assisted living in Pigeon is $3,504 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Cass City with an average starting cost of $3,110.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Pigeon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Pigeon 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Caro with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pigeon, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pigeon
Pigeon is a small bedroom community in the heart of Huron County, located near the northern tip of Michigan's still rural thumb area. Somewhat more than 31,000 people live in the Huron area, with a little over 25% of residents being seniors aged 65 and over.
Seniors in Pigeon have four assisted living facilities to choose from where they can get room and board, plus assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as help with transportation and personal care. Many, but not all, of these communities are overseen by the Michigan Department of Human Services, which regulates residential senior care facilities in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pigeon
- The weather in Pigeon is generally mild in summer and chilly in winter. Pigeon warms to an average temperature of 81 degrees in summer, while winter nights average temperatures as low as 14 degrees. The warm season in Pigeon brings roughly 33 inches of rain each year, which can raise allergens and create an issue for some seniors with asthma.
- The cost of living in Pigeon is up to 23% below the national average across most categories of household spending. Seniors in Pigeon get less of a discount for their healthcare, though medical costs in Pigeon remain up to 12% lower than the average national cost.
- Crime rates in Pigeon are somewhat lower than the national average rate. Seniors in Pigeon live in an area that reports crime rates 20% below the typical national rate for similar-sized communities nationwide. Violent crime is even less common in Pigeon, where reported rates are as low as half the national average in some categories.
- Public transportation in Pigeon can be booked online or by phone with Thumb Area Transit (TAT), which provides curb-to-curb, and sometimes door-to-door, service for seniors. All TAT vehicles are disabled ride equipped, and seniors' caregivers travel at no cost for medical appointments.
- The Pigeon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Scheurer Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Pigeon has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Human Development Commission, an organization that delivers caregiver and day care services, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pigeon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Pigeon start around $3,504 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pigeon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pigeon
Seniors in Pigeon who need cash aid to cope with the cost of assisted living may be able to apply for assistance through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. In Michigan, seniors get a small extra stipend with SSI, as well as automatic eligibility for state Medicaid benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pigeon
Pigeon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pigeon, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pigeon
Pigeon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Pigeon
Review of Home Sweet Home Retirement
Home Sweet Home Manor I is absolutely adorable! I had a walk through shortly after the new renovations and upgrades were completed, and I must say that this is not only a beautiful home to place my... Read more
Review of Country Gardens
Overall, I had a very good experience with this facility each time I was there to visit my grandmother. I could tell that she was receiving the care that she needed as she neared the end of her bat... Read more
Review of Home Sweet Home Retirement
Overall, Home Sweet Home Assisted Living Facility is a typical assisted living facility. The grounds are kept nicely. However, there is not much space for outdoor activities. The facility lacks wal... Read more