6 Assisted Living Facilities near Lowell, MI
Also serving communities of Ionia.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lowell area, with 5 in Lowell and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lowell is $1,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 16 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lowell. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lowell 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Rockford with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lowell, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Lowell, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lowell
Lowell is home to the Grand River Riverfront Park, an 80-acre park that features two islands, a canoe launch, a fishing pier, scenic overlooks and paved walking paths. While this small township has a little less than 6,000 residents, it has a fairly large senior community that makes up a little over 16% of the total population.
There are three assisted living facilities in Lowell and one more in Grand Rapids. These facilities are licensed and monitored by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and are officially known as homes for the aged.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lowell
- Lowell seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security income, but all other retirement income is taxable. However, the state provides a large deduction for pension income and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts, which may leave more money in the budget for assisted living expenses.
- Lowell's air quality is decent, which may benefit seniors who have conditions like COPD or heart disease. The American Lung Association gave Kent County, where Lowell is located, an F for ozone pollution but a B for 24-hour particle pollution.
- Seniors in Lowell may receive transportation services through Senior Neighbors, which provides a convenient and low-cost way for area seniors to run errands, attend medical appointments and get to the local senior center.
- Lowell has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Grand Rapids.
- The overall cost of living in Lowell is about 5% higher than the national average and 10% higher than the state average, which may be a consideration for seniors who have restrictive monthly budgets. Healthcare is quite affordable in this city, however, with the cost of routine medical appointments and hospital stays coming in about 17% below the national median. This may offset other expenses for seniors who are managing chronic medical conditions.
- Lowell experiences warm summers with July highs in the low-80s, which may appeal to seniors who are sensitive to very hot weather. Winters are chilly and snowy, with January lows around 16 degrees and an average annual snowfall of 64 inches.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lowell
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Lowell start around $1,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lowell and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lowell
In Lowell, low-income seniors who reside in a home for the aged may have some assisted living services covered through the Medicaid State Plan. Additionally, the state provides SSI recipients with an optional state supplement, which may be used toward room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lowell
Lowell and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lowell, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lowell
Lowell-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lowell
Review of Green Acres of Lowell
I toured Green Acres of Lowell for my husband. It was very inviting. They have a caring staff, and it's very clean and modern. They have a lot of activities and have good size apartment and rooms. ... Read more
Review of Maple Ridge Manor
Maple Ridge Manor is beautiful and has nice people. They seemed more than adequate. I saw the menu, and I know what my mother is eating every day. It's well rounded, there are adequate helpings, an... Read more
Review of Fayette's Home
Fayette's Home had only seven women there; I liked it a great deal. The woman who runs it was very kind, warm, very helpful, and knowledgeable. I would not mind having my mother in that situation a... Read more