The 3 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Seymour, IN for 2023
Also serving communities of North Vernon.
The average cost of assisted living in Seymour is $3,990 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,875. Cheaper nearby regions include Columbus with an average starting cost of $3,855.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Seymour. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Seymour 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Seymour, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Seymour, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Seymour
Seymour, which has been called the Crossroads of Southern Indiana, is home to several parks, all of which offer free admission. The Parks and Recreations department also has a community center that provides exercise classes, day trips and meals to local seniors. The city is home to about 18,000 people, about 15% of whom are seniors.
In addition to services that are provided through the local community center, Seymour accommodates its senior residents through two assisted living facilities. These facilities, which may also be called residential care facilities, are licensed by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Seymour
- Ozone pollution levels in Seymour are moderate, with the county receiving a C for this type of pollution from the American Lung Association. This type of pollution, which is also known as smog, is harmful to breathe and may exacerbate certain conditions like COPD or cardiovascular disease. This may be a consideration for some seniors.
- Seymour has a higher crime rate than 91 percent of U.S. cities of all sizes and 95 percent of cities in Indiana. When compared only to similarly sized communities across the country, Seymour's crime rate is notably higher. To keep residents safe, assisted living facilities generally have security features like alarm systems.
- The Seymour area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Schneck Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Seymour Transit provides public transportation within the city limits five days a week. All vehicles are handicap-accessible, providing a convenient option for seniors who use mobility aids like wheelchairs.
- Seymour's overall cost of living is nearly 20% below the national average, which may make it a budget-friendly option for seniors on fixed incomes. Housing, healthcare and utilities in this city are all below the national median and may contribute to lower assisted living costs. Seniors can also expect to spend about 18 percent less on healthcare than they would elsewhere in the nation.
- Seymour seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security income, but all other types of retirement income are fully taxed, including government and private pensions and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Seymour
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Seymour start around $3,990 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Seymour and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Seymour
Indiana funds three programs that may assist low-income seniors in paying for assisted living, including the state Medicaid program, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Seymour
Seymour and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Seymour, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Seymour
Seymour-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Seymour
Review of Seymour Place
I did visit with my mom and it’s a very nice facility. The rooms are beautiful. They are big and spacious. The dining area also looked good. The whole place is just beautiful. The staff were very n... Read more