The 5 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Bedford, IN for 2023
Also serving communities of Mitchell.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bedford area, with 4 in Bedford and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Bedford is $3,410 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,870. Cheaper nearby regions include Washington with an average starting cost of $3,330.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bedford. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bedford 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Seymour with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bedford, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Bedford, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bedford
Located about 30 minutes south of the college town of Bloomington, Bedford, Indiana is a quiet hamlet that is home to about 13,000 residents, nearly 20% of whom are 65 years or older. For residents in that age group who need or desire assisted living care, the city has two facilities, and there is one additional facility located nearby.
In Bedford, as in all of Indiana, assisted living facilities are regulated by the State Board of Health Facility Administrators and classified as housing with services establishments. Facilities licensed to provide nursing care are known as residential care facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bedford
- Seniors who enjoy the change of the seasons will feel at home in Bedford, where the summer highs average in the mid-80s and regularly exceed 90, and the temperature drops well below freezing on a typical winter night. The city gets about 8 inches more rain each year than the average U.S. city but only about half the snowfall.
- Bedford's cost of living is 24% lower than the average U.S. city, with housing costs, which are less than half the national average, accounting for much of the difference. Other expenses common to seniors, such as healthcare, groceries and transportation, also cost less in Bedford than in most cities.
- The air quality in Bedford is right in line with the U.S. average. Unless a senior has severe asthma or lung difficulties, they will not likely experience difficulty breathing in the area.
- Retirees in Bedford do not have to pay state income taxes on their Social Security benefits, but if they have retirement income from private accounts, such as pensions or 401(k)s, those are taxed in Indiana.
- Safety-conscious seniors can find extremely low violent crime rates in the Bedford area. The city's rate of 14.1 is substantially lower than the violent crime rate in the average U.S. city, which is 22.7. That said, Bedford's property crime rate of 42.9 is moderately higher than the U.S. average of 35.4.
- The Bedford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including IU Health Bedford Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bedford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Bedford start around $3,410 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bedford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bedford
Indiana's Aged and Disabled Waiver helps cover the cost of services in assisted living. The Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program (RCAP), a state-funded program, is available to residents of Lawrence County, where Bedford is located. This program provides financial help to seniors with disabilities who can no longer live alone. To participate in the program, a senior must live in an approved assisted living community.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bedford
Bedford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bedford, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bedford
Bedford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bedford
Review of Stonebridge Health Campus
Stonebridge Health Campus has been a good placement for my husband. We chose it because it was the number one place recommended by many people who had either experienced it or dealt with them on a ... Read more
Review of Bliss Place
I toured Bliss Place. I like that it was a one-floor facility and small. I think it only had 50 units. When I visited, I got to see exercise time. I got to tour the facility. There were two buildin... Read more
Review of Johnson Christian Village
My aunt moved into Johnson Christian Village. They are wonderful and caring people. I've seen them interact with residents, and it's clear that they care about them. The place is spotless. I've see... Read more