2 Assisted Living Facilities in Galesburg, IL
Also serving communities of Monmouth.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Galesburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Galesburg 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Galesburg, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Galesburg
Galesburg is a city of about 30,000 people located in Knox County, Illinois. Here seniors, who comprise almost 20% of the population, have access to an array of services provided by the Western Illinois Area Agency on Aging, including congregate and home-delivered meals, transportation and senior health assistance programs.
Illinois licenses several types of assisted living facilities in Galesburg. The Illinois Department of Public Health licenses assisted living establishments and shared housing establishments, sheltered care facilities are licensed under the Nursing Home Care Act and the Department of Healthcare and Family Services certifies supportive living facilities. Galesburg is home to two assisted living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Galesburg
- The Galesburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Galesburg Cottage Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- While healthcare costs are about 8% higher in Galesburg than in the nation as a whole, the city’s overall cost of living is about 25% lower than the national average. This is primarily due to the low cost of housing, which may result in more affordable assisted living.
Summers in Galesburg tend to be long, rainy and humid with highs in the mid-80s, and winters are cold with lows around 16 degrees. Seniors researching local assisted living options may want to find out how residents are kept safe and secure indoors when seasonal temperatures are extreme.
- The air quality in Galesburg is exceptional, ranking 14 points higher on a 100-point scale than the United States as a whole. The city’s clean air may benefit seniors who have respiratory conditions like asthma.
- While the sales tax rate in Illinois is high, local seniors don’t pay state income tax on any type of retirement income. This may leave more money in the budget for assisted living services for Galesburg seniors.
- Crime in Galesburg is a little more prevalent than in the average U.S. city. On a 100-point index, violent crime rates just a couple points higher than the national average at 24.5, but the property crime rate surpasses the national average by about seven points. Seniors who are moving to Galesburg may want to find an assisted living facility that is equipped with an alarm system and security cameras.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Galesburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Galesburg start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Galesburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Galesburg
Galesburg seniors who meet income requirements may qualify to receive assistance with assisted living expenses through the Supportive Living Program or the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Galesburg
Galesburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Galesburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Galesburg
Galesburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Galesburg
Review of The Kensington
I liked Kensington a lot, and I liked the people. I liked the setting -- it was downtown. It was very nice, the food looked good, they had activities, the rooms were nice, the staff was nice, and i... Read more
Review of The Kensington
My Mom and Dad moved here this year after they both had double pneumonia. They left a home where they had lived for 30 years. My Dad said he felt like he was finally living in his golden years. My ... Read more
Review of Seminary Village
The Hawthorne Inn really caters to my mother's needs, and the round the clock supervision really comforts both my mother as well as myself. The staff are incredibly friendly, and it shows when my m... Read more