12 Assisted Living Facilities in Decatur, IL
The average cost of assisted living in Decatur is $3,395 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Monticello with an average starting cost of $3,100.
To help you with your search, browse the 39 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Decatur. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Decatur 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sullivan with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Decatur, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Decatur, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Decatur
Located in Macon County along Sangamon River and Lake Decatur, Dectaur, Ill., is home to over 72,000 people — 18 percent seniors age 65 and over. There are 21 assisted living facilities in Decatur, Illinois, are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Such facilities are defined by the state as those having three or more unrelated residents, 80 percent of whom are at least 55 years of age.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Decatur
- Located in the heart of Illinois, along the Decatur and Sangamon Rivers, Decatur is known for its hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature is 36 degrees Fahrenheit in January and 87 degrees Fahrenheit in July, which can be uncomfortable for some seniors.
- The city of Decatur is home to several community organizations, including the Central Illinois Agency on Aging, which offers meals on wheels, exercise programs and senior bus transportation, as well as a senior center.
- Crime, especially theft and property crime, is a major problem in Decatur. The crime rate in Decatur is 48 percent higher than the national average and has increased by 11 percent in recent years.
- The Decatur, Illinois, area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Mary's Hospital and Decatur Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- There are several ways to get around Decatur. For seniors who drive, I-72 runs right through the city. In addition, the Decatur Public Transit System provides regular, scheduled public bus service throughout Decatur and between the city and other points in the county with discounted fares for seniors, as well as on-demand service for residents who can't easily use the regular system.
- Decatur is home to a number of cultural sites and museums. Chief among these are the Scovill Zoo, the Kirkland Fine Arts Center and the Hieronymus Mueller Museum. All of these attractions offer some type of senior discount.
Paying for Assisted Living in Decatur
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Decatur start around $3,395 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Decatur and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Decatur
Eligible seniors who live in Decatur, Illinois, will find a number of state and federal assistance programs to help them pay for an assisted living facility. These include Choices for Care, the Illinois Supportive Living Program and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Decatur
Decatur and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Decatur, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Decatur
Decatur-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Decatur, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Decatur
Review of Imboden Creek Garden Assisted Living
My sister is in Imboden Creek Gardens now; the experience so far is good. She's really enjoying it; she's really happy. The doctors are taking care of her and everything. It's close to where my bro... Read more
Review of Tanglewood Village
Tanglewood Village was good. The rooms were fine, clean, acceptable, and adequate in size. The kitchenette was comparable to the one I saw at the other place. The staff there was the most pleasant ... Read more
Review of The Glenwood Supportive Living of Mt. Zion
I visited The Glenwood Supportive Living of Mt. Zion for my mom. All we could only see was the unit because it's on lockdown and we could not see much. It was fine. Their dining has more set schedu... Read more