4 Assisted Living Facilities near Carbondale, IL
Also serving communities of Carterville, Ullin, Tamms.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Carbondale area, with 3 in Carbondale and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Carbondale is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 13 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Carbondale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Carbondale 4.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Benton with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Carbondale, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Carbondale, IL
1 Assisted Living Facility near Carbondale, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carbondale
Seniors in Carbondale can suspend reality for a day at the Boo Castle Memorial Park or get serious on the green at the Hickory Ridge Public Golf Course. The city of 25,376 people is situated in part of Southern Illinois known as Little Egypt and is home to over 2,000 seniors aged 65 and over. Some of these aging citizens may need help with the activities of daily living, and there are four assisted living facilities in town to accommodate them. As in all Illinois' assisted living facilities, those in Carbondale are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carbondale
- Illinois exempts nearly all retirement income from taxation, including Social Security retirement benefits, pensions and retirement savings accounts. However, the state has high property and sales taxes, which could put a crimp in the budget of seniors considering assisted living facilities.
- On a scale of 1 to 100, where 100 equals high crime, Carbondale's violent crime rate sits at 24.7, on par with the national norm of 22.7, while the city's property crime rate of 49.2 is much higher than the countrywide average of 35.4. Seniors touring facilities in the area may want to ask about security measures in place to keep residents safe.
- At 83.1, Carbondale's cost of living is much lower than the national baseline of 100 and the state average of 101.5, due to the lower cost of housing, which is 56% of the national median. This might be good news for family members moving to the area to be closer to aging loved ones.
- Seniors living in Carbondale might appreciate the moderate winters with January lows of 24 degrees and just 10 inches of snowfall, about a third of the country's average. In July, summers become hot and muggy with temperatures averaging 89 degrees.
- According to the EPA's Air Toxics Assessment, Carbondale has an air quality rating of 65, seven points higher than the U.S. average, which may be good news for seniors with COPD or other respiratory ailments, or those looking for an area with better air quality.
- The Carbondale area is home to world-class medical facilities, including SIH Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carbondale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Carbondale start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carbondale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carbondale
Illinois seniors, like those in Carbondale, who qualify for Medicaid can use the Illinois Supportive Living Program waiver, which pays for some assisted living services. The Community Care Program also helps eligible seniors pay for assisted living care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carbondale
Carbondale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carbondale, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carbondale
Carbondale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Carbondale
Review of The Landings at Reed Station Crossing
The Landings at Reed Station Crossing was beautiful. I would love for my grandmother to be able to go there, but she cannot afford it. The person during the tour was very friendly, very nice, and v... Read more
Review of Prairie Living at Chautauqua
Prairie Living at Chautauqua and its people were very nice. It's an older facility, and the room was not as big as the others, but it's nicely arranged and had windows. The dining area was very nic... Read more
Review of The Landings at Reed Station Crossing
The Landings at Reed Station Crossing was lovely and really nice. It's a beautiful new facility. The rooms were big and the amenities were very nice. They had an outside patio, a theater, and a ver... Read more