8 Assisted Living Facilities near Kailua, HI
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kailua area, with 2 in Kailua and 6 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 36 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kailua. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kailua 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kailua, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Kailua, HI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kailua
Kailua is a town on the island of Oahu in Hawaii that was named after the two lagoons on the island that run through town. This beach community has a mid-sized population, of which 18.2 percent are seniors. The senior population is served by one assisted living facility in town and nine in the surrounding areas. ALFs are licensed by the Hawaii Department of Health, Office of Health Care Assurance and are defined as facilities that provide housing plus meals, health care and personal services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kailua
- Seniors on a budget may have difficulty living in Kailua as the cost of living is 154.3 percent higher than the U.S. average. Housing makes up most of this percentage. However, transportation and grocery costs are also above average. Health care is slightly below the national median.
- Active seniors who enjoy the outdoors may benefit from Kailua’s comfortable year-round climate. The city scores a 97 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index, and the temperatures here reach highs of 85 degrees Fahrenheit in July and lows of only 66 degrees in January. Rainfall averages around 57 inches per year.
- Kailua is mainly known for its beaches but there are plenty more arts and culture options for seniors to enjoy, such as the historic Ulupo Heiau State Monument, Oeno Winery and the Kailua Farmers Market. Windward Senior Day Care Center offers seniors day trips and excursions in the area.
- Seniors can feel safe traveling around town as crime in Kailua is relatively low. The city is safer than 26 percent of U.S. cities and violent and property crimes score 29 and 32.4 out of 100 (high crime), respectively.
- Seniors who don’t drive can hop on The Bus which provides routes around town with reduced fares for seniors over 65. OHE Transportation Services provides door-to-door transportation for seniors to medical appointments, social visits, errands and shopping.
- Hawaii is a moderately tax friendly state as it exempts Social Security benefits and public pension income from taxation. However, income from retirement savings accounts and private pensions are fully taxed which may leave less money for seniors to put towards assisted living.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kailua
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Hawaii
Assisted Living costs in Kailua start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kailua and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kailua
Seniors looking for financial aid for assisted living in Kailua may apply through Hawaii’s Med-QUEST program which helps pay for care services but not room and board. They may also receive aid through Kupuna Care, a state program that provides personal care services, meals and transportation.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Hawaii page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Hawaii page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kailua
Kailua and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kailua, please visit our Assisted Living in Hawaii page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kailua
Kailua-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Hawaii are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Hawaii page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kailua
Review of Wilson Senior Living
Wilson Senior Living is a beautiful facility. The staff and food are great; they actually have an on-site chef in a beautiful kitchen where you can watch the chef cook. They have their own salon, a... Read more
Review of Wilson Senior Living
Wilson Senior Living has all facets of care from Independent Living to 24 hours Nursing Care. I visited this facility and was really impressed with the high standard of living they have maintained.... Read more