2 Assisted Living Facilities in Hilo, HI
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hilo, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hilo
Hilo, Hawaii, is the largest town in Hawaii County and is home to Wailuku River State Park, featuring the Rainbow Falls, a beautiful location that the town's demographic of seniors - around 15 percent of the population - may enjoy. Some of these people may need the support of an assisted living facility to help them with the tasks associated with daily life. There are two of these facilities in the Hilo area that cater to the needs of local seniors. In this town, like the rest of the state, these facilities are regulated by the Department of Health's Office of Health Care Assurance.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hilo
- Living in Hilo is around 36 percent more expensive than the national average. Although, Hilo is generally 50 percent cheaper than the Hawaiian average. Residents of this town may find that healthcare can cost around ten percent less than the national average, which is definitely something to consider for seniors with chronic medical conditions who are main expenditures may be health-related.
- The Hilo area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Hilo Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Hilo has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Kamana Senior Center, an organization that provides local seniors with a variety of services and programs that enrich their day-to-day lives and keep them active.
- An average summer high of 79 and an average winter low of 61 mean the weather in Hilo is generally comfortable all year long. However, seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may not appreciate Hilo's 153 inches of annual rainfall.
- There are a ton of museums, galleries and venues for seniors in the Hilo area to enjoy, including the Dreams of Paradise art gallery and the Lyman Museum.
- With an air quality rating of "good," Hilo may offer seniors with respiratory problems the opportunity to spend time outdoors without serious risk of worsening their condition.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hilo
Average Monthly Costs
City in Hawaii
Assisted Living costs in Hilo start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hilo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hilo
Hawaii's Medicaid Fee-For-Service Program can help eligible seniors in Hilo pay for the cost of residing in an assisted living community.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Hawaii page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Hawaii page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hilo
Hilo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hilo, please visit our Assisted Living in Hawaii page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hilo
Hilo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Hawaii are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Hawaii page for more information about these laws.