15 Assisted Living Facilities near Darien, CT
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Darien area, with 2 in Darien and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Darien is $7,900 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346. Cheaper nearby regions include Stamford with an average starting cost of $4,997.
To help you with your search, browse the 112 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Darien. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Darien 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Smithtown with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Darien, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Darien, CT
13 Assisted Living Facilities near Darien, CT
Promotion ends in 7 days!
Spring Promotion: Moving Made Easy. For new residents: $500 Off the Community Fee, 1/2 Off First ... (more)
Promotion ends in 256 days!
Shared accommodations are $4250, enhanced $5750. Private accommodations for $5750 assisted living... (more)
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Darien
Review of Maplewood at Darien
I took a little tour of Maplewood at Darien. It seemed to be very nice. Everything was first-class. It's a new place so everything is clean and up-to-date. I don't know about their medical facility... Read more
Review of Maplewood at Darien
Maplewood at Darien is my first choice and it is fabulous. The community is relatively new and that always makes it nice. It's very clean, neat, inviting, and the person who I spoke to was great an... Read more
Review of Maplewood at Darien
Maplewood at Darien is small and you feel comfortable. There were residents in their wheelchair, walking around, in their walkers, sitting in the lounge, and everybody seemed happy. The staff was h... Read more
Assisted Living near Fairfield County, CT
More Options Near Darien, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Darien
Darien is a small town located on the Long Island Sound in Fairfield County, Connecticut. It has a relatively small senior population, with 12 percent of the town's 21,000 people aged 65 and older. Mostly independent seniors who need some help with daily activities can find accommodation in one of the area's 15 assisted living facilities. Connecticut's Department of Public Health Facilities Licensing and Investigations Section licenses and monitors facilities in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Darien
- The Darien area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Norwalk Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Darien's overall crime rate is 13 crimes per 1,000 residents. Around 64 percent of Connecticut's other towns and cities have a lower crime rate; however, the rate is lower than average when compared to American communities of a similar size. This may be reassuring to seniors' families who are concerned about their safety.
- Fairfield County, including Darien, received passing grades for both 24-hour and annual particle pollution in the State of the Air 2018 report. However, the county received a failing grade for ozone pollution, which may impact the health of seniors with respiratory illnesses.
- Norwalk Transit provides public transportation in the Darien area and passengers aged 65 and over are eligible to pay half fares. There's also a door-to-door paratransit service.
- The Sperling index rates Darien's overall cost of living at 306, which is 206 points higher than the national average. This is mainly due to the high cost of housing. While everyday expenses, such as healthcare and groceries, are still high, they are closer to the national median, which may make the town more affordable for those on a fixed income.
- Darien has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Southwestern CT Agency on Aging, an organization that provides resources to help seniors maintain and improve their quality of life, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Darien
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Darien start around $7,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Darien and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Darien
Seniors in Darien who receive Social Security benefits may be eligible for financial assistance through the Optional State Supplement (OSS). Connecticut does have the Home Care Program for the Elderly, which provides funds to residents of select assisted living facilities, but it's not currently available in Darien.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Darien
Darien and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Darien, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Darien
Darien-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.