3 Assisted Living Facilities near Atmore, AL
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Atmore area, with 2 in Atmore and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Atmore. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Atmore 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Atmore, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Atmore, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Atmore
Located right on the Florida state line, Atmore, Alabama, was originally a stop on the Mobile and Great Northern Railroad. While the nearby interstates may be the most popular form of travel today, Atmore still offers residents — almost 17% of which are seniors — plenty of reasons to call this city home.
To accommodate the senior populace, Atmore has two assisted living facilities, with another in nearby Walnut Hill, Florida. Throughout Alabama, assisted living facilities are regulated by the Department of Public Health's Bureau of Health Provider Standards.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Atmore
- One of the biggest draws for seniors in Atmore is the weather. The area gets a full 227 sunny days a year, more than three extra weeks compared to the U.S. average of 205, and even a dusting of a snow is a once-in-a-lifetime freak occurence. The area is hot and humid, with summer highs often reaching into the 90s, which may be problematic for seniors with cardiovascular or pulmonary issues.
- Seniors in Atmore can take advantage of the state's policy to exempt Social Security income from taxes, but they will pay one of the highest sales taxes in the nation, which can be a concern for fixed incomes.
- The cost of living in Alabama already averages around 11% lower than the rest of the country, but the overall cost of living in Atmore comes in 3% lower than the state average. Healthcare and housing are 6% and 47% lower, respectively, than the U.S. averages, but the hot climate does lead to 14% higher utility costs. Overall, seniors may find that Atmore gives them a little extra room in their budgets when it comes to paying for assisted living care.
- Atmore residents who struggle with breathing issues may find some relief in this area, which enjoys better-than-average air quality and pollution index scores. The air quality is almost a third better than the U.S. average, and the pollution index is 70% better than in the average U.S. city.
- Violent and property crime rates in Atmore are significantly higher than both the U.S. and Alabama state averages, which may be a concern for seniors and their families. Violent crime is 290% higher than the rest of the country, and property crime is 183% higher.
- The Atmore area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Atmore Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Atmore
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Atmore start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Atmore and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Atmore
In Alabama, the state does not provide any financial assistance via non-Medicaid programs or participate in any Medicaid waiver programs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Atmore
Atmore and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Atmore, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Atmore
Atmore-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Atmore
Review of The Meadows of Atmore
The Meadows facilities were extremely well maintained. Everything there seemed to be in pristine working order. All of the staff members were friendly and very helpful. They also seemed to treat al... Read more
Review of The Meadows of Atmore
I would like to commend Sarah and her staff for the caring and loving manor in which they provide a place for the elderly to live in dignity. Read more