State Driving Laws in Texas
Specific rules for older drivers
- Starting at age 79, drivers must renew in person.
- Renewal is every 2 years for those 85 and older.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 2 years for those 85 and older; every 6 years for those under 85.
- Renewal conditions: Mail, phone, and electronic renewal are available for those under 79, but drivers 79 and older must renew in person.
- Vision test: At in-person renewals.
- Written test: No.
- Road test: No, unless there is a concern regarding the driver's ability to safely operate a motor vehicle (determined through observation and/or interview by a Driver License Division employee).
For more information
Texas Department of Public Safety
Driver License Division
Attn: Customer Service
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0001
512-424-2600 (English) or 512-424-7181 (Spanish)
Stay Connected With Caring.com
Get news & tips via e-mail