State Driving Laws in Indiana
Specific rules for older drivers
- Drivers must renew in person starting at age 70.
- Drivers 75 to 84 must renew their license every 3 years; drivers 85 and older must renew every 2 years.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 4 years for drivers age 18 to 74; every 3 years for those 75 to 85; every 2 years for drivers older than 85.
- Renewal conditions: In person. Online renewal availablefor drivers under 75.
- Vision test: Yes.
- Written test: No, unless license has been expired for more than 2 years or driver has six or more points accumulated for traffic violations.
- Road test: Only if there is a medical reason, or if license has been expired for more than three years.
For more information
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
100 N. Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Stay Connected With Caring.com
Get news & tips via e-mail