State Driving Laws in Connecticut
Specific rules for older drivers
- Those 65 and older can select a two-year or a six-year renewal cycle, based on fee structure.
- Drivers 65 and older must renew in person unless they can prove a hardship.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every six years for those under age 65; choice, based on fee structure, of every 2 years or six years for those 65 and older.
- Renewal conditions: In person at a DMV location. By mail typically only to residents who are temporarily out of state, or for a medical reason.
- Vision test: No.
- Written test: No.
- Road test: For new applicants and for those who have had an expired license for two years or more.
For more information
State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-2510
860-263-5700 (within Hartford area or outside CT)
860-842-8222 (elsewhere in CT)
Stay Connected With Caring.com
Get news & tips via e-mail