State Driving Laws in California
Specific rules for older drivers
- Must renew in person and pass a vision test starting at age 70.
- May be required to take a supplemental driving test if vision exam is failed.
Standard driver's license renewal
- License renewed: Every 5 years.
- Renewal conditions: In person, but qualified drivers (that is, drivers under 70 who are not on driving probation or suspension) can renew by mail or Internet for no more than 2 license terms in a row.
- Vision test: Yes, at in-person renewal.
- Written test: Yes, at in-person renewal.
- Road test: Only if there are indications of driver impairment, based on a report by a law enforcement officer, a physician, or a family member.
For more information
California Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290-0001
Stay Connected With Caring.com
Get news & tips via e-mail