Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

Discovery Commons at Spring Creek (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

Assisted Living Reviews for Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

August 31, 2015

We selected Winters Park based on the cost, the size of the rooms, and their amenities. It is near my son’s place. I have a physical assistance while my husband is Alzheimer’s assistance. Everybody was very nice.

July 20, 2015

Winters Park was very nice. They've just remodeled, and it was very clean and in very good condition. The staff was very friendly, and they did multiple phone call follow-ups. They had private rooms available. The dining area was very pretty, very spacious, and well decorated. They had a few activities like bingo, arts and crafts, and memory things.

June 15, 2015

We chose Winters Park for the convenience, but more than anything, they were able to help us out as far as the costcwas involved. I am extremely pleased with them. The staff has been really helpful and very friendly. They are willing to work with us in different areas. They provide different activities, which my mom has been getting involved with. They serve great food. It is a really nice place.

July 03, 2014

By Slotts

Don't let the great looks deceive you! Memory Care only wants the "cute" side of memory loss. Once the dementia related behaviors kick in, the resident is kicked out! Doctor heavily over medicates, prescribing even antibiotics just for a sore throat (no fever) without any exam. They don't want to pay for a full time activities director, who was the only person on staff I felt I could trust. Turnover of staff is huge. Belongings are lost forever, despite labeling. Several times, my mother escaped. Twice, the staff was not aware. One of those, she fell and hit her head. The other, she was getting into the car of a visitor she convinced to "take her home." It was really a nightmare.

June 18, 2014

By AlzDtr

Horrible !! The facility has gone downhill in the past six months. Almost all of the Memory Care staff are new and lack knowledge about caring for someone with dementia (as demonstrated by their behavior). Our mother was seriously injured and they could not tell us actually what happened. During the last family meeting we discovered episodes of horrible staffing and lack of supervision. We moved Mom, but not in time to spare her from pain. The employees there should be ashamed. I wouldn't even give them one star but the website requires it.

April 18, 2014

By Winters Park Garland TX

My sisters has been in Winters Park Assisted Living in Garland, TX for about a year and a half. It is real clean and everything is good except for the nursing staff and the doctor that comes to the facility. I asked the head nurse back in January to reduce my sisters medicine since she was taking enough to kill a horse. She said she would contact the doctor. I didn't hear anything else, and didn't keep tabs of medicines they were ordering from the pharmacy. She became very ill and was having diarrhea and she became anemic. Two different times when she asked to see the doctor, the nurse did not tell the doctor. Finally the doctor saw her and took a blood test to find out that her kidneys were failing. They almost waited too long. She became dehydrated due to the diarrhea and the enormous amounts of diuretics they were giving her. The facility did not believe she had diarrhea and the nurse said she rather hateful things about her. She said May was always asking for medicine, but she did not ask for all those diuretics nor did she ask for all that other medicine. I had told them in a nice way to stop the diuretics, because she was already taking some with her blood pressure pill. After I took her to a kidney doctor, I saw the drug list that was given to the doctor and realized that right after I had asked them to reduce her medicine, they doubled all of it - even the diuretics. When the kidney doctor saw she was taking so many diuretics, he ordered Winters Park to cease giving them to her, but they didn't because the kidney doctor's office called and asked me if they were giving her more medicine because her kidney levels had risen from the time of her first visit. They called the doctor, but they did not take her off them, because when I confronted them about doubling her medicine I find out they were still giving them to her three times a week. The manager apparently has no intention of firing this inept ignorant, vindictive nurse. All I know is that they will get a big lawsuit one of these days for killing one of those patients. The nurse is dangerous and I don't recommend this facility to anyone.

June 07, 2013

By Mary Littlejohn

We went to Winter's Haven because my mom has friends in there. It was absolutely fabulous. We couldn't ask for anymore. It was very pleasant and people in there looked happy. I thought the staff was overly friendly. They would pop their heads from the other rooms even as we were walking down the hall, and I thought that showed a lot of compassion. The only thing that was discouraging to me was knowing that the rooms they were getting are small and it just seems so hard to go to a little room. That's the only down thing I saw.

April 24, 2012

By squidyak

We got to know the residents personally over the course of a year, and the residents commented that they enjoyed staying at this facility. The staff seemed to be courteous to us and to the residents, they treated the residents with respect as older individuals, and were willing to help us help them. The inside environment is relaxing, welcoming, and enjoyable, and we saw family members come each week to visit with their relatives in different areas of the lobby. There is a courtyard with patio seating, a fireplace or two, and a small exercise room suited for group exercise. There are kind, attentive individuals working in the dining room, and the food is pretty good. They have ample activities for the residents to enjoy, and one man commented that he saw no need to leave the facility because "the entertainment is here." The front staff care to get to know you and care that you have come to visit or to offer emotional support to one of their residents. The only negative thing we encountered was an occasional lack of communication between the director of activities and other staff members. The residents said they would recommend this location to their friends.

November 23, 2011

By Kathy Howk

Winter park assisted living and memory care is located at 3450 wagon wheel. Garland, Texas. 75044. My mother in law. Lived there and they were good to her! Could use a little more staff, but they always did good! Now she is in the nursing home part of winter park which is next door. Hospice has been alot of help too.

Memory Care Reviews for Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

Questions about Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our staff at Discovery Commons receives on-going training throughout the course of the year. We are always looking for ways to increase our ability to care for and respond to our residents in the utmost way.

What programs or activities does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Discovery Commons offers countless activities to stimulate the mind and invigorate the body! Activities include: Trivia, Worship Services, Dance Exercise Club, Wi Bowling Club, Si N' Talk, The Price is Right, BINGO, Skip-BO, Card Sharks, Movies and MUCH...MUCH MORE!

What places are near Discovery Commons at Spring Creek or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Several parks and a recreation center. However, Discovery offers multiple outings and provides transportation services for our residents.

What transportation services does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek offer to assisted living residents?

Discovery Commons offers transportation services to local grocery stores, doctor appointments and also other schedule appointments.

What makes the chef or dining program at Discovery Commons at Spring Creek exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Discovery Commons is honored to have Chef Llessie White overseeing our dining services program. Chef White was nominated for the Award of Excellence for all Discovery Senior Living chef's and attended the Living Banquet of Excellence in Florida in March of 2019. Chef White is passionate about food and creating a healthy, delicious dining experience daily for our residents.

What safety features or security measures does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek offer to assisted living residents?

Professional team available 24 hours a day, Emergency call response system and a highly trained staff that is receives ongoing training to ensure resident care and security.

How does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

At Discovery Commons, we believe that ongoing communication and family involvement is the key to a successful relationship.

If Discovery Commons at Spring Creek accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

At Discovery Commons, we realize your pets aren't merely animals, they are family! We welcome your pets into our community provided they can be cared for by our residents. We have a large courtyard and plenty of walking space around the community so they can get plenty of exercise.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Discovery Commons believes that you should never stop learning so we provide continual ongoing training for all our staff. We provide in-house training, we bring in healthcare professionals for outside the community and we also routinely send our staff to our corporate office for on-going training.

What safety features or security measures does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek provide to protect residents who wander?

Our memory community is a safe, secured community that prevents residents from exiting our community. We also provide other security measures that allow us to monitor and respond to any circumstance.

What programs or activities does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

At Discovery Commons, we offer an array of activities to our residents that include: Bible Study & Worship, Movies, Ball Toss, Adult Coloring, Exercise Classes, Manicures, Massages, Artistic Expressions and MUCH MORE!

We perform a physical and cognitive assessment on every resident prior to move in at Discovery Commons. We also conduct another assessment 30 days after move in and an assessment every 6 months unless there is a change of condition (in which we do an assessment any time there is a change in condition).

What techniques does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We provide a simple, quiet and non-distracting place to eat meals (too much noise and clutter can disrupt a person’s appetite and discourage them from eating). We offer easy choices, softer foods and we also sit and eat with our residents.

How does Discovery Commons at Spring Creek keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We encourage family members to be actively involved in their loved ones lives. For those that aren't able to be as involved, provide continual and on-going communication with them regarding their loved ones.

Describe the neighborhood around Discovery Commons at Spring Creek. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Discovery Commons is ideally located in north Garland bordering Richardson, Plano and Rowlett. We are nestled in a beautiful community surrounded by residential family homes and near Cecil Winters Park and Spring Creek Elementary School.

Is Discovery Commons at Spring Creek affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

At Discovery Commons, we encourage you to exercise your right to choose any hospital for the care of your loved one. We are centrally located near several hospitals that include Methodist Richardson Medical Center and Baylor Medical Center at Plano.

Costs for Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

Photos of Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

Services and Amenities of Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

• Companion Suites: We Do Offer Companion Suites.

• Pets: Yes

Types of care

• Walking Wheelchair Assistance

About Discovery Commons at Spring Creek

Discover the exceptional senior living lifestyle that is Discovery Commons. Located throughout Florida, Maryland and Texas, our world-class senior living communities feature Grande Clubhouses with resort-style amenities and luxurious apartment homes combined with uniquely remarkable team members providing concierge-level services and advanced health and wellness programs for discerning seniors seeking an enriched lifestyle.

Our focus on personalized care and attention is the foundation of all we do. Offering seniors multiple lifestyle choices from personal care, assisted living and memory care, Discovery Commons aims to provide a seamless transition to aging in place by delivering enriched lifestyles to keep our residents living happier, longer. Our communities feature a Grande Clubhouse with the best of resort-style amenities and services for the lifestyle you are looking for. Stay active with a full calendar of recreation and events, card and game rooms, pools, fitness and wellness centers, dining services, housekeeping, transportation and more.

Assisted Living

If you or your loved one are in need of assistance with daily living activities, then assisted living is the right lifestyle option for you. Not only do residents enjoy the luxuries of a host of included features such as three gourmet meals in our “Sensations” dining rooms, a full calendar of daily activities and events, concierge services, weekly housekeeping and complimentary scheduled transportation, they also receive personalized care services such as showering or bathing assistance, medication management, continence management, glucose and insulin management and personal laundry. All of these services are supported by our 24-hour professional health and wellness staff, our on-site Medical Director and on-site Medicare-certified home health agency.

Memory Care

At Discovery Commons, we understand the challenges people with dementia face. When your loved one enters our memory care community, our goal is to guide them along a journey of discovery in all they do. Our nurses and certified nurse assistants, with ongoing education and specialized training in caring for memory diseases, chart a course of exploration for them that touches on various important aspects of life. Our program is designed to rebuild and preserve that which their affliction has taken from them. From quality meals to personalized care and attention, you can rest easy knowing your family members are in the best hands, receiving the best care. You have our word on it.

Discovery Commons is offering new residents a great way to help manage their budget with our 3-year rent-lock guarantee. That’s right, no rent increase for 36 months! Rent protection makes it easier than ever to make the choice to live an exceptional lifestyle at the area’s most comprehensive senior living community of its type.

Map of Discovery Commons at Spring Creek