Brookdale Tulsa South

8231 South Mingo Road, Tulsa, OK 74133
Brookdale Tulsa South (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 1 day

Independent and Assisted Living new residents receive $500 off the 1st full month and 4th full month free Base Rent. Must take financial possession by 2/28/2021. Ask for details when you tour.

Reviews of Brookdale Tulsa South

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Tulsa South

September 11, 2013

By caring1863

We visited Sterling House and saw that the rooms were very nice. The staff that we talked to was very knowledgeable, friendly and caring. We didn't eat there but the dining room looked very organized and very clean. We got a copy of their internal newspaper and it was also very nice. I would recommend this facility to others.

April 14, 2013

By caring0028

We went to see Sterling House and talked to the marketing director. We asked them questions and get some information from them. We also looked at a couple of rooms they had. It's a very nice place, although it's smaller than I expected. My dad is 91 and he has limited mobility, so he's not a really active person. But he likes to do things. They have bingo, they do outings from time to time, or go to malls.

November 20, 2012

By whatashame

The Admin / Operator will promise you anything to get your loved one in the door as they get $$ bonus for new residents. They do not keep the rooms clean, lots of fights between residents that live there I saw the med aid setting up medications for distributions having a personal conversation on her cell phone while setting up the medications. I reported it and they defended the med girl! My loved ones medications are still full but when I reported that they told me the pharmacy sent more that they should have! I pay for the medications so I know how much was sent and it sure was not more than what was ordered, I mean if anyone knows of a pharmacy that sends free meds please let me know so I can go there!! Be sure and ask to count their medications monthly! They do not give first aide here for a small cut, they just want to call Emsa and ship them out **Ala Cart pricing "“ run as fast as you can from this type of pricing. Average cost in Tulsa for Assisted Living is $3,500. Our invoices fluctuated from $3,500.00 to $5000.00 as time, once without notice! Family members of other residents have similar stories. I have moved my Loved one.

June 21, 2012

By agen8490

This is a great place. They have a nurse on staff 7 days a week (one of the nurses has been there for over 6 years) and their director has been with the company for over 7 years. Activities were great and so were all the other employees. CNAs are trouble areas, but that is true most anywhere. Residents seemed happy. Residents seemed like they were requiring a high level of care compared to other assisted livings, great alternative to a nursing home in my opinion.

February 15, 2012

By Guardian-1

My mother, age 93 in a hospice program until just recently, was a resident of the Sterling House from about April of 2010 to the middle of November 2011. We chose this facility because it appeared to be a nice facility with the services we required and we were told by an acquaintance who was also a part-time employee of the Sterling House, and The Sterling House management that they had only asked 2 people to leave since they had been open, one because the resident required a tube feeding and the other was an aggressive male that was problematic. Not having to move my mother was very important to me as this would very traumatic for my mother. We were asked to move my mother early in September of this year because if / when she has fallen it takes 3 to get her off the floor. Needless to say, this was very disappointing to say the least. Other issues include: 1. Medications "“ one of the employees setting up medications for distributions was observed by my brother once and my brother and me on another occasion having a personal conversation on her cell phone while setting up the medications. 2. The doctor that was contracted to serve the facility was unavailable to speak with for over 2 weeks. No one else was covering or him. 3. Ala Cart pricing "“ run as fast as you can from this type of pricing. Average cost in Tulsa for Assisted Living is $4000. Our invoices fluctuated from $4000 to $6000 as time, once without notice. Family members of other residents have similar stories. I can only take their word for it, I haven't seen their invoices. 4. Salon Services "“ We requested her hair be done every week. Couldn't get this to happen, management and hairdresser each pointing the finger to the other one. 5. Newspaper "“ For those who subscribed to the newspaper, the paper was delivered to the office to be distributed to the residents. This seldom got done, I finally canceled the paper. The good news is, she has now been moved and is actually doing much better than expected, getting more attention, requiring less services, out of hospice and for less money.

Questions about Brookdale Tulsa South

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Tulsa South. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Like all Brookdale Communities, we are an Age in Place Community, meaning that we allow our residents to age in their current community all the way through end of life, without having to move from community to community. Our resident vastly differ in their ages and abilities. Our youngest resident is in her late 50’s and our oldest resident is in her late 90’s. The average age of most of our residents is late 70’s to early 80’s. Our residents enjoy a myriad of activities, from music performances, dominos, daily exercise class, weekly outings, art therapy, and many other activities.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Tulsa South offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We focus on the Six Dimensions of an Optimum Life in our programing to ensure that our residents are experiencing the best enrichment they can. These dimensions include: Physical, Emotional, Purposeful, Social, Spiritual, and Intellectual wellbeing. Our vast assortment of daily activities try to hit all of these dimensions for our residents. Some of the programs include: weekly church services, daily exercise classes, themed parties and socials, special community projects, trivia and mind games, etc.

What places are near Brookdale Tulsa South or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Brookdale Tulsa South is located at 8231 South Mingo Road in Tulsa, OK, just off of Highway 169. Our community has a warm home-like neighborhood feel across from Meadow Brook Country Club, while still offering easy access to the major roadways close by. We are less than a mile away from 71st Street and all the major commercial shopping centers, such as Woodland Hills Mall. We are also less than a mile away from Hillcrest Hospital South and St. Francis Hospital South.

What transportation services does Brookdale Tulsa South offer to assisted living residents?

We have our handy Brookdale Bus, which has an automated wheelchair lift, that can transport our residents to wherever they need to go whether it’s to a doctor’s appointment or an outing to the park.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Tulsa South exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Dining Services Coordinator enjoys making sure that our residents receive a healthy meal that tastes homemade, making sure that it takes care of the body and soul. We have bi-weekly resident council meetings that ensure that our resident’s dinning needs are met. We also have a daily alternative menu, the “We Say Yes Program” (a Brookdale Exclusive Program), and specialty menus (such as texture modified, carb controlled, etc.) that allow all of our residents to enjoy our meals.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Tulsa South offer to assisted living residents?

Brookdale Tulsa South is a secure access community. We have key pads at all exits and we do not give out our community code to any family members or 3rd party visitors (don’t worry, we have staff on site 24/7 to let you in the door). This keeps staff aware of who is in and out of the building and keeps our residents safer. We also have emergency pull cords in all of our residents’ apartments.

How does Brookdale Tulsa South keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We at Brookdale Tulsa South pride ourselves on keeping our families up to date on their loved ones. We have 7 day a week nursing which allows our staff to report directly to our managers any concerns that may arise with our residents. Our family members are given the cell phone numbers of our Executive Director and Nurses, so that if there are any issues you can always get ahold of someone.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Tulsa South during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our care staff-to-resident ratio is dictated by the needs (or acuity) of our residents. If our residents have a higher acuity (needing more assistance) during a specific time of day, then our staffing changes based on those needs. For example, more of our residents need assistance getting ready in the morning, so our morning team currently has 4 staff members, where as our evening team has 3 staff members, and our over-night team has 2 staff members. This changes depending on the needs of our residents, which is re-evaluated every 3 months or so.

If Brookdale Tulsa South accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

All family members, including your furry ones, have a home at Brookdale Tulsa South. We have an enclosed central courtyard that provides the perfect place for Fido to run and play where you don’t have to worry about him running away. Our pet deposit is $200, and if you need assistance in caring for your pet, we can help with that as well.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Brookdale has an ongoing training method entitled Learning Management System. This system updates monthly with our online classes that all associates are required to finish before the end of the month. We also have bi-weekly in-service meetings for all associates where our Executive Director can train over the specific needs of our own community.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Tulsa South provide to protect residents who wander?

As stated above, Brookdale Tulsa South is a secure-access community. We have a number pad at all exits and the codes are never given out to family members and 3rd party visitors. If a resident was to continuously push on a door and make it open, and alarm sounds that directs us to the opened door, this allows us to quickly ensure that our residents never wander outside the community.

Photos of Brookdale Tulsa South

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Tulsa South

• Nurse On Staff: Available During Business Hours

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

• Pets: Yes

About Brookdale Tulsa South

Brookdale Tulsa South provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Tulsa South