Angelina County’s seat of Lufkin, Texas, is a small community of only 34,074 residents with an estimated 15% of them being seniors aged 65 and older. Seniors in the city enjoy a Texan-specific mostly warm climate and a low cost of living. Older adults may be interested to know the area has several quality hospitals such as St. Luke’s Health Memorial Hospital and the Woodland Heights Medical Center. The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey reports the cost of nursing homes in Lufkin cost at around $4,487 per month, making the city particularly affordable for seniors looking into long-term care options.

Nursing homes are also known as skilled nursing facilities and provide the highest level of senior care available outside of a hospital. Facilities offer both long-term care and short-term rehabilitation services. Residents receive 24/7 nursing care, supervision and assistance with daily living tasks such as bathing and dressing. Older adults who don’t require round-the-clock care might consider less costly options such as assisted living or in-home care.

This page compares nursing home costs with other areas in the state and with other types of care available. We’ve also listed several resources for people who are either considering a nursing home placement or are already residing in one.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Lufkin, TX

Pinecrest Retirement Community

1302 Tom Temple Dr., Lufkin, TX, 75904

I was at Pinecrest Retirement Community for twenty-one days for skilled nursing and rehab. They only gave me thirty minutes a day, and that really wasn’t enough to do what I needed to do. I really was … (read more)

Castle Pines Health and Rehabilitation

2414 W FRANK AVE, Lufkin, TX, 75904

I took care of my aunt, who was a resident of Castle Pines Health and Rehabilitation. They had laundry facilities there, but I did them for her. I visited her on a full-time basis. The facility is ver … (read more)

Woodland Heights Medical Center Skilled Nursing Un

505 S JOHN REDDITT DR, Lufkin, TX, 75904

Very professional help. Very helpful and caring.
Very professional help. Very helpful and caring.

Parkwood Place

300 N Bynum, Lufkin, TX, 75904

Southland Health Care Center

501 N MEDFORD DR, Lufkin, TX, 75901

Every time I visit my dad he is wet or dirty. We have been requesting a haircut for five weeks and no one can tell us why he hasn’t had one yet. Administration won’t return my emails or calls. I would … (read more)

LARKSPUR

201 SOUTH JOHN REDDITT DRIVE, Lufkin, TX, 75904

I was truly displeased with the services provided by Larkspur. Initially, the staff of the facility was happy to get my family member in their facility, but within a weeks time, I was informed that we … (read more)

The Grace Care Center Lufkin

504 N JOHN REDDITT DR, Lufkin, TX, 75904

Horrible place. Staff is uncaring. Overall dirty. Stay away if you care about your loved one.

Stoneleigh Estates

1712 N TIMBERLAND, Lufkin, TX, 75901

Huntington Health Care & Rehabilitation Center

220 E ASH STREET, Huntington, TX, 75949

My MIL stayed here to recover from Covid. She was made to feel at home and the stay there helped her tremendously to get her strength back. The new owners and staff made her feel very welcome and co … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Lufkin, TX

The median monthly cost for a semiprivate room in a Lufkin nursing home is $4,487, while the average rate for a private room is $5,612.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

A nursing home resident in Lufkin pays on average $4,487 each month, making the city less expensive than the Texas median of $5,125 and substantially more affordable than the country’s average of $7,908. In nearby Longview, seniors pay $305 less than in Lufkin for nursing home care, while on the Arkansas state line, in Texarkana, nursing home rates are $349 higher. Costs in the cities of Sherman ($5,171) and Dallas ($5,627) are well above Lufkin.

$4487

Sherman

$5627

Dallas

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

If family members are unsure about the decision to place a senior loved one into a nursing home, it might help to look into the rates for other available types of care in Lufkin. Older adults who need help with some day-to-day tasks but would prefer to continue living at home may opt for an in-home caregiver which costs around $4,376 each month. Assisted living facilities offer residential care at a cost that’s $624 lower than the average price for a semiprivate room in a nursing home.

$4376

Adult Day Health Care

$3863

Assisted Living Facility

$4487

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$5612

Nursing Home (private room)

Note: Data for Lufkin was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Tyler, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Lufkin, TX

Free Resources for Seniors in Lufkin, TX

Seniors in Lufkin have access to several assistance programs. Some of these may help seniors who are nursing home residents, while others might help them delay the need to move into one.

Resource

Contact

Service

The ombudsman is an advocacy initiative created to protect the rights and welfare of seniors who reside in long-term care facilities. Residents get assistance from their local ombudsman when they need to file a complaint or register a concern about their facilities. Volunteers with the program work with seniors, their family members and their residential units to ensure care levels are up to state regulations.

This service is delivered locally by the Area Agency on Aging. Older adults can contact the ADRC for assistance in identifying nearby services they qualify for. The ADRC can connect callers to helpful programs such as Medicare Low-Income subsidy, Medicare Savings Programs and the Special Nutrition Assistance Program.

Meals on Wheels is a program that can help homebound seniors delay the transition to a nursing home by providing them with the nutrition they need. The Angelina County Senior Center provides this service at a low cost or free of charge, based on the individual's circumstances.

Trained and certified benefits counselors with the Area Agency on Aging can help seniors and their family members navigate the benefits system. Seniors aged 60 and older and Medicare beneficiaries can get help understanding topics such as Social Security, Medicare, long-term care insurance and Veterans Benefits. Counselors can advise and assist seniors with the application process.

Lufkin seniors who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and their family members can receive assistance from the county’s Veterans Services Office. Older adults can receive assistance in applying for benefits and pensions their services entitle them to and can get access to veteran-specific healthcare options.