Brookdale East Wichita

Reviews of Brookdale East Wichita

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale East Wichita

January 02, 2017

By Brenda L.172430

Our mother is in Brookdale East Wichita. It is very clean, and the staff-to-resident ratio is very good. It is small enough that it is less confusing for the residents to find their way from place to place, and the food is very good. The one thing negative, which is especially important to us, is that the CNAs and the CMAs have no training during their certification in oxygen use, and I found that very disturbing because my mother is on continuous oxygen. They do not know how to operate the concentrator, how to operate the smaller tank that she carries on her wheelchair, or how to change out tanks when they get empty. It is absolutely imperative for them to have that knowledge. I believe the certification people have left it up to each facility to do their own training. She is in a private room set up sort of in a circular way where they have four different halls spiraling off from the middle, and their dining rooms and activity rooms are in the center. It is very easy for her to locate her dining room, the activity room, and the beauty salon and easy to get around. She is satisfied, and we are too, with her room. The top two things that need to be improved upon are oxygen care and hearing aid care. There are some sophisticated hearing aids that are being used these days, and it doesn’t seem like anyone knows how they work. They are working on the problem, so I would give them a 4.

December 13, 2016

By Martha758545

My parents are now at Brookdale East Wichita. I am very impressed with it. It is nice and clean. The staff members are taking good care of my parents. I'm very pleased with them. Their apartment is awesome. It is very nice and open. I like it. They really like the food. It’s good food. Location is great. It is very nice.

March 04, 2016

By Deb38

I visited Brookdale East Wichita. It sounded like they would spend some time with them, and I think that’s the most important thing. The staff seemed good. They rooms and apartments looked OK, and clean.

January 31, 2016

By AnonymousDaughter2

Brookdale East Wichita was a very excellent facility. It just was too high a level of care for what we needed. The cleanliness was excellent. The staff and the rooms were very excellent also.

November 30, 2015

By Shirley120133050

I was very pleased during my visit at Brookdale East. I would give them a top rating. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The residents were busy with activities, and there was a very uplifting atmosphere. Their dining room was very nice, and their menu looked good.

July 31, 2014

My dad was here for 2 months but now he's back home. I think they were referred to me; I visited and I liked it. It was nice. The staff appeared to be good at that time. He had a private room with a common bathroom and living room; it didn’t have a kitchen. The dining room was nice, too. He didn't have any complaints about the food. They have church service there. For someone who can afford it, I'd recommend the place.

September 22, 2013

By MJ2

It was a modern place and they seemed to be updated. It was nice and clean. They seemed to be caring and personal. They catered to the different needs of the people.
See all Memory Care reviews (15) See fewer reviews

Questions about Brookdale East Wichita

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our associates participate in monthly Learning Modules that are specific to the needs of our community and level of care that our residents need. We also have a monthly in-service meeting that allows for staff to get educational opportunities as requested upon by administration. Each of our associates participates in dementia care training and have ongoing education throughout the year.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We take into consideration each of our residents acuity, instead of number of residents and plan accordingly to ensure we always have the appropriate number of associates to safely care for each of our resident’s needs.

Our Health and Wellness Director conducts assessments for our residents upon moving in, within 14 days of moving in, if any change in wellness has been recognized in the resident and routinely every 6 months. This ensures our residents have the proper care needed and their care plan is reviewed with family.

What techniques does Brookdale East Wichita use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our Clare Bridge program has specialized dining education for all of our associates. Each of our residents will have a dining skills evaluation to determine the level of assistance they need. Specialized diets can be accommodated and are part of our care plan process in which our associates are trained. The dining experience is a special part of engagement and we strive to make it an enjoyable and social.

How does Brookdale East Wichita keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

At Brookdale East Wichita, we consider preference when keeping them updated on their loved ones. It is our goal to keep family updated as per their wishes. Our Executive Director keeps all families in the loop with updates by sending out emails at the earliest instance that families are needed to be notified. We also have an open door and communication policy with all families that they can reach out to our nurse, ED, or any staff member at any time with any updates or concerns that they might have at any time. We conduct Care Conferences with families that include our Executive Director, and our Health and Wellness Director. Our families are a part of their loved ones plan of care to ensure the best for their loved ones.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale East Wichita. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are ideally located close to shopping, fine dining, many various medical professionals and beautiful neighborhoods.

Is Brookdale East Wichita affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Our Health and Wellness Director partners with many different medical professionals at the various hospitals to ensure the best quality care for our residents. We are a true age in place community so our goal is for our residents to remain with us, in their same apartment through their journey.

Photos of Brookdale East Wichita

Services and Amenities of Brookdale East Wichita

About Brookdale East Wichita

At Brookdale East Wichita we know that memory losses due to Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia are progressive and residents' needs are continually changing. That's why we provide balance in our residents' capabilities, personalities, and preferences to create daily routines that enhance their spirits and increase their sense of purpose. We believe the amount of satisfaction our Alzheimer's and dementia care residents receive from the tasks that fill their days goes a long way to maintaining their sense of purpose and overall satisfaction with life. An integral part of this is our promise to encourage each resident to find Daily Moments of Success. To help our residents achieve these moments, our associates receive the tools and training needed in such key areas as specialized dining and the ongoing monitoring of healthcare and behavioral needs, to name a few.

We provide Alzheimer's and dementia care residents with the lifestyle, housing, and services they need in comfortable surroundings combined with the amenities, programs, and care to help stimulate recognition, recall, and wellness in a safe environment. Through years of caring for individuals with dementia, our professional care staff has learned to create optimal surroundings and approaches to care. Familiar environments that our residents have enjoyed throughout their lives are recreated to help them feel reassured and comfortable. The Alzheimer's and dementia care programs at Brookdale East Wichita are built to embrace, not restrict our residents' desire to wander and to provide a sense of belonging.

Map of Brookdale East Wichita