Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA

Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

Assisted Living Reviews for Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

By S.Sh.

Our parents have been at Sakura for almost a year, and their overall experience has been very positive. The facilities are nice and clean, and, more importantly, our parents are content and doing as well as can be expected. We have found Daniel, Shin, and the rest of the staff to be responsive, attentive, and proactive. This has been particularly true as to one of our parents, who needs assistance from staff with some activities of daily living. We have also been impressed with the job they have done navigating the pandemic and arranging for residents to receive the appropriate vaccines. Needless to say, we worry about our parents constantly, but we worry about them less since they moved to Sakura.

Hi S.sh., thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive review for our team at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. We appreciate it & so do our other reviewers at Caring. We hope to see you again soon!

By keithmari

Absolutely exceeds all of our expectations. Shin, the Communications Director, could not have been more cordial, more professional or more considerate in greeting my now 100 year old mother-in-law, Yoshi, and my wife and I on our first visit and many subsequent visits to Sakura Gardens. We very much appreciated his guided tour of the facility and our luncheon on that first visit which was three years ago. All of our questions were answered while he spent considerable time with us. He introduced us to Daniel, who also was beyond impressive, and one or two of the other residents at Sakura. These gentlemen obviously care very much about their residents. The furnished apartments are very comfortable. Housekeeping and front desk staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. The overall services and amenities provided including the excellent three meals per day greatly assisted in facilitating this significant transition - major life style change. Yoshi, who just turned 100 three months ago, has seriously enjoyed her three year stay at Sakura. She loves her very comfortable apartment and continually talks about the delicious food and the many services and activities provided. The management team and staff has certainly protected all residents during the pandemic. Shin is an incredibly understanding person who really cares about all residents at Sakura. He also happens to be a major gentleman and a really nice guy. My wife and I feel extremely fortunate to have found such an excellent community. Huge accolades, appreciation and many thanks to Shin, Daniel, their staff, and Sakura for making Yoshi's three year stay so comfortable and successful. Keith and Mari

By alan o

Sakura Gardens does a fantastic job for my 92 year old Nisei mother. They serve Japanese food which she especially likes. They have daily exercise classes that gets her out of the room and areas where she can walk on her own when she feels like it. I myself love the 24 hour on duty nurse which makes me sleep better at night.

Hello, thank you for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience here; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put resident experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

By HappyKI

My mother is in Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. She speaks only Japanese and the nice thing is they have Japanese-speaking caregivers and Japanese cuisine. They can select either continental or Japanese cuisine. All staff and residents are vaccinated and strict protocols are in place. They have a lot of activities and volunteers from the Japanese community come out and do things in Japanese for them, such as daily exercise, karaoke, movies and small bands. They have beautiful gardens, a huge koi pond, waterfalls, rock sculptures, and bonsai trees within the grounds. All the staff are incredible and they do everything to help the residents. They've just remodeled everything, and it's a very reasonably priced. AWESOME

Thank you for your positive review, we appreciate your feedback! We always strive to provide top quality service and care to every resident and their families. We are so are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. Thank you again, we hope that you have a wonderful day.

October 13, 2021

By long life

I enjoy living here because I enjoy the Japanese food and the staff take care of me. I like to see the koi pond and walk around the campus.

Long Life, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles!

October 13, 2021

By kasu

Grounds are nice and the staff is very helpful. I enjoy eating the Japanese food and watching movies.

Hi Kasu, thank you so much for your positive comments about Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles!

September 24, 2020

By searching senior

While COVID has made it challenging for all of us, they do a great job of making sure everyone is safe and healthy while showing us what they can. Answered all of our questions.

Hi Searching Senior, thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive review for our team at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. We appreciate it & so do our other reviewers at Caring. We hope to see you again soon!

August 08, 2020

By Margaret L

My mother is in Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. My parents are Japanese and the nice thing is they have Japanese-speaking caregivers and the food served is a selection of continental and Japanese cuisine. They can select what they want to eat. No resident got COVID in the past four months, so I think the safety is great. They have a lot of activities and volunteers from the Japanese community come out and do things in Japanese for them. They have beautiful gardens, a huge koi pond, waterfalls, rock sculptures, and bonsai trees within the grounds. However, a new owner took over, and they've been increasing the rent. The elevators are not working all the time, and the air conditioning breaks down once in a while. The staff is incredible and they do everything to help the residents. They've just remodelled everything, and it's very affordable.

Hello, thank you for your positive review, we are grateful to see that you feel this way! We strive to provide excellent care and service to our residents and their families at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. Thank you again, we hope you have a wonderful day!

January 10, 2019

By Glenngsa

While evaluating Sakura, Shin and Daniel made my mom and myself feel very comfortable that she would be well cared for. There was transparency and all our questions answered honestly. After being there for about a month, she confirmed that our trust was well founded. She is enjoying her stay and feels part of the community.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive review for our team at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. We appreciate it & so do our other reviewers at Caring. We hope to see you again soon!

August 04, 2018

By dsmatsu

The facility is well maintained and there are beautiful flower arrangements in the lobby and on every floor. The studio and one bedrooms are neat and clean with plenty of storage space. There are a variety of activities - origami, knitting/sewing, exercise classes, etc., trips to the mall. Staff is friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful with koi ponds and a garden area that the residents use to grow their own flowers, fruit and/or vegetables.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this positive review for our team at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. We appreciate it & hope to see you again!

February 19, 2018

By FSqrd

Sakura Gardens is a clean and well run Senior Retirement Community. The staff is very helpful and provides excellent care for the residents. There are many social activities, excursions, classes, and special performances that provide the residents with a lot of options to keep active. There is also a "resident" garden, where you can request some space and plant flowers or vegetables. Our Mother took an excellent tour, and decided to move from another care home to Sakura Gardens. She's really been enjoying her stay!

Thank you, we appreciate your feedback! We always strive to provide top quality service to every resident and their families, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. If you have any questions, please give us a call. We're always happy to help!

February 15, 2018

By waimeaboy

My Mom has been living at Sakura Gardens for a few months now and she really enjoys living there. The Staff has been very helpful. She has been able to make a few friends. There are activities for her to attend. The facility has plenty of space for her to walk around safely. The location is very convenient for me to visit.

Thank you for your detailed positive review. We strive to provide excellent care and service to our residents and their families at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and look forward to seeing you again soon!

January 29, 2018

By Sarah

Sakura Gardens' rooms were nice, and the place was very clean. They had music activities, movies, calligraphy, and cultural activities. The staff was good.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive 5 star review. We appreciate it & hope to see you again!

November 02, 2017

By Kim

We chose Sakura Gardens for my father because it has a Japanese community, they serve food that my father enjoys, and they have a memory care unit. They have all kinds of activities, too. They have exercise classes and entertainment. They have furnished apartments so we don't even have to bring anything.

Independent Living Reviews for Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

Memory Care Reviews for Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

October 03, 2021

By Steven

My mother-in-law moved into Sakura Gardens at Los Angeles memory care. It is a community that caters to the Japanese-American community. The facility itself is located in a gated, secure space. They have Japanese koi ponds there, which are really nice for the Japanese-Americans that are residents there. Overall, the grounds are really well kept. The gardens and everything is really, really well kept and up-to-date. That was one of the things that was really attractive for her (even though she is in memory care, not assisted living). They also have an assisted living part of the Sakura Gardens; but she's in the memory care unit, which is a separate section. Overall, it's a very nice and a very welcoming environment. The staff has been wonderful. Being it's memory care, it's a different level of care. We are very pleased with the care that's being given to my mother-in-law. There are no issues with the care. Care has been great. They try to get all of the residents out as much as they can to participate in watching movies, playing cards amongst themselves, and supervising them if there are activities as a group (which I think is very important for my mother-in-law). Even though she's got issues with memory, it's good stimulation and a good environment for her to be in. They have card playing, art projects, watching TV together, and playing cards. She's been there for about four weeks, and it's been great. The food is great because it's geared more toward the Japanese-American community. There's rice, and today it was teriyaki beef. It was geared more toward that population, so the food has been great.

March 20, 2020

By SN

Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles was a very good place especially for memory care service. We liked that, but their fee was so expensive. They had a private garden for memory care, and the facility was so clean. It's one of the best. The staff was very kind and knowledgeable, explained everything from the monitoring to the menu. She showed me the rooms and the restrooms, and there were two persons per room.

Thank you so much for your positive review, we are happy to see you feel our staff is kind and knowledgeable. We agree and feel the same, we have a wonderful community and welcome you to join us. Please feel free to reach out at any time with any and all questions. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
See all Memory Care reviews (6) See fewer reviews

Questions about Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Ongoing IPCED training for all of our staff in the community. We are given courses that correlates to elderly care such as understanding Dementia, respecting resident's rights, medication assistance training, and dealing with end of life care.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Residents are overall of Japanese descent. However, we currently have one Chinese American resident and one Korean Japanese resident at our community. Average Age is 87. Favorite things are attending morning exercise class, karaoke singing, playing bingo, watching movies on Wednesdays, going on trips to Little Tokyo, Pala Casino, the local mall and Walmart

What programs or activities does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Japanese Calligraphy class, Morning Exercise, Social Dance-Exercise class, Ceramics class, Japanese, English and Hawaiian singing class, karaoke class, knitting class, golf-putting class, art class, Minyo Shamisen (Japanese singing), Story writing class, Japanese style Mah Jong class, Yoga class, Origami class, Ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement) class, Jigsaw puzzle class, Domino game class, Card game class, Chair exercise, Japanese Bible Study class.

What places are near Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Little Tokyo is about a 2-3 minute drive, vibrant, cultural town full of Japanese restaurants, supermarkets, and retail stores. Close to Hollenbeck Park which has a lake and exercise devices. Sakura Gardens is also near Mariachi Plaza which is a few blocks away and frequently holds a Farmer's Market. Mariachi Plaza is also a stop for the Gold Line train which can take residents to Little Tokyo, Union Station, and as far as Pasadena.

What transportation services does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offer to assisted living residents?

We have a van that holds up to 6 passengers. We provide transportation Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm for medical purposes within a 8 mile radius. We provide transportation to Little Tokyo every Tuesday from 9am to 3:30pm. We also provide transportation for special outings such as to Walmart, local mall (Glendale Galleria or Montebello Mall), and also arrange transportation to Pala Casino.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Since our population is mostly Japanese due to the history of our community, the dining experience is one of a kind where we provide a wide variety of healthy and hearty Japanese meals such as Chicken Teriyaki, Agedashi Tofu (Fried tofu), Unagi-don (fresh water eel), Chicken Tatsuta Age (Fried Chicken), Pork Ramen, Beef Sukiyaki, Hot Udon, Chicken Tonkatsu (Cutlet), Pork Gyoza (dumplings) but also provide traditional American meals such as Honey Baked Ham, Roasted Turkey, Broiled Salmon, Corned Beef with Cabbage, Spaghetti Bolognese, Meat Lasagna, and Southern Fried Chicken.

What safety features or security measures does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offer to assisted living residents?

Our community is a fully gated community and have a 24 hour guard on duty.

How does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We would keep families informed about their loved ones by our 24 hour on-duty Health Staff actively contacting their loved ones about any incidents or changes. Our community also holds a Family Meeting where we invite all family members, close friends, and residents to attend to inform any updates, changes, or announcements. We would also send loved ones emails or phone calls of any significant changes as well.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles during daytime and nighttime hours?

The daytime and nighttime ratio is 1:65 (2:130)

If Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

At this time Sakura Gardens does not accept dogs or cats, although families may bring dogs or cats to visit.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

IPCED training courses and Oasis Outsourcing Webinars and In-services

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age of our residents is 86. Some of their favorite things to do are exercise, sing, watch movies, play bingo, and eat their favorite foods!

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Little Tokyo is nearby where the residents can shop, enjoy performances, and visit the museum.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles has organized?

Enjoying performances at the Aratani Theater and attending festivals in Little Tokyo.

What transportation services does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offer to independent living residents?

We provide van transportation for doctor and dental visits, and shopping.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Many of our main dish choices are delicious Japanese menu items. Some of the favorites are sukiyaki, teriyaki salmon, curry rice, Japanese fried chicken, and American fried chicken.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Large activity hall for performances, movies, exercise and dance classes. Activity room for social hours and art classes. Social room for card playing and puzzle activities. Large gateball and putting green. Three tier koi pond and Japanese garden.

What safety features or security measures does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offer to independent living residents?

Every room has an alert button, as well as an intercom system. Residents can also use an alert pendant to alert the care staff. Security guard on duty daily from 9 am to 5 pm.

Currently we do not allow pets.

Does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We do work with outside agencies that can provide nursing and therapy, if needed.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have a minimum of two staffers on duty. There may be more during some of the daytime shifts.

What safety features or security measures does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles provide to protect residents who wander?

We notify the security guard company and make sure that the on-duty keeps a folder with residents profile (name, room number) that may be a wandering risk to contact our community if they are seen leaving the community.

What programs or activities does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a monthly calendar in our memory care community which guides our care staff on what activities to follow on daily basis. Our activities include memory card games, Jenga, coloring time, ball toss, karaoke, spending time in our outdoor patio, and bingo. Activities are rotated in a daily basis so that each day is different.

Assessments are done initially prior to move in. Also, an assessment is conducted when there's a noted change in behavior on a resident. Once a re-assessment is done the primary care physician is notified and so are the family or whoever is responsible for the resident. In general however, physician's report and medication review are supposed to be done annually for all Dementia residents.

What techniques does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We encourage a communal dining in our memory care unit, as much as possible. For all residents that require feeding assistance we make sure to train staff on feeding techniques and safety. Also, we utilize diet cards for each resident and make sure to check and compare the card with what's served in the tray to prevent any errors. One care staff is asked to stay in the dining room at all times during meal times.

How does Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Due to the Coronavirus lockdown and quarantine we make it a habit to update resident's family members or loved ones every week. However, when a change of condition is noticed on a resident this becomes more frequent since they require more monitoring so we'll have to alert both the primary care physician and family/loved ones of resident status on almost a daily basis.

Describe the neighborhood around Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Sakura Gardens is in a residential neighborhood, but we are very close to Little Tokyo and Downtown Los Angeles. In fact, we have a great view of the downtown skyline from many parts of our campus.

Is Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are affiliated with a skilled nursing facility nearby if more care is needed.

Costs for Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

Photos of Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

Services and Amenities of Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

• Dining Extra: Restaurant Style

• Coffee Shop
  • Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Individual Temperature Control, Library, Sewing Room, Safety Grab Bars

• Technology Extra: Emergency Lifeline System, Smoke & Fire Alarms

Training Areas

• Patient Transfers

• State Licenses: 198602192

About Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles

Sakura Gardens at Los Angeles offers a dedicated and intimate light assisted program located minutes from Downtown Los Angeles. Residents have a beautifully appointed apartment with a host of services and amenities that provide for an exceptionally comfortable lifestyle. Coupled with just the right amount of assistance, each Individual maintains their personal independence and freedom. Bathing and medication management are easy again, thanks to the specially trained staff members who are there to lend a helping hand, day and night.

With a unique and storied history, our community is one of a kind. Our legacy is one that has preserved our rich Japanese history and culture. We continue to offer a predominantly Japanese menu, as well as many Japanese activities, such as calligraphy, tea ceremony, and karaoke.

Map of Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles