8 Assisted Living Facilities in Richmond City, VA
To help you with your search, browse the 26 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Richmond City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Richmond City 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hanover County with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Richmond City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Richmond City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Richmond City
Richmond is the capital of Virginia and is home to just under 229,000 residents, more than 12% of whom are senior citizens aged 65 or older. The city of Richmond and its surrounding areas have 48 assisted living facilities that provide residential care to senior citizens who need it.
Facilities in Virginia that provide assisted living services are licensed under one of two categories: assisted living care facilities provide 24-hour supervision and care, while residential living care facilities provide assistance to residents who require help with only one activity of daily living. All of these facilities are regulated and monitored by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Richmond City
- There is plenty of arts and culture in Richmond for senior citizens to enjoy. Historic sites such as the Hanover Courthouse and Dabbs House Museum offer the opportunity to take a trip back through time, while the city's vibrant arts scene offers plenty of events for seniors to take in throughout the year.
- Richmond has an array of community resources for seniors, including the No Wrong Door program, which is a statewide network of service and care providers catering to older adults and those with disabilities, as well as more than 10 senior centers.
- Seniors in Richmond can safely travel throughout the city using the GRTC Transit System, which offers reduced fares for senior citizens.
- The Richmond area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Bon Secours Richmond Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Virginia doesn't tax Social Security retirement benefits and offers generous deductions on all other forms of retirement income, which can equate to major savings for seniors living in Richmond.
- Although the overall cost of living is about 5% above the national average, seniors living in Richmond might notice savings on costs such as healthcare, which is nearly 5% below the national average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Richmond City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Richmond City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Richmond City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Richmond City
Seniors living in Richmond may be eligible for financial assistance under Virginia's Auxiliary Grant.
The state caps the amount that assisted living facilities can charge for room and board for seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Richmond City
Richmond City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Richmond City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Richmond City
Richmond City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Richmond City, VA
Assisted Living near Richmond City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Richmond City
Review of The Towers
Very kind and welcoming staff. Warm and friendly environment! Read more
Review of The Towers
The Towers is wonderful in so many ways. Clean and bright, smells wonderful, friendly staff, residents who look happy, clean, and well- cared for. Their rooms are spacious and inviting. Most signif... Read more
Review of The Towers
I moved my mother in the Towers over 6 months ago and myself and my family have been nothing short of very pleased! I toured a lot of buildings, before moving my mom in, and this community was the... Read more