9 Assisted Living Facilities in Richmond City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Richmond City is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Henrico County with an average starting cost of $3,259.
To help you with your search, browse the 46 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Richmond City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Richmond City 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hanover County with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Richmond City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Richmond City, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Richmond City
With a strong tourism industry, nearly 5 million people visit Richmond, Virginia, every year. However, residents, including 12% of which who are classified as seniors, get to enjoy the city all year long. Seniors looking for assisted living in Richmond have a 36 facilities to choose from.
The Virginia Department of Social Services is the agency responsible for regulating all of the assisted living facilities in Richmond that are categorized as either residential living care or assisted living care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Richmond City
- Virginia does not tax Social Security income and only partially taxes other forms of retirement, which can put more money into seniors' pockets.
- Richmond experiences a wide variety of weather patterns and temperatures. Summer highs hit around 90 degrees, with an average yearly rainfall of 44 inches, compared to the national average of 38 inches. Winter brings an average of 11 inches of snow, 17 inches less than the U.S. average, and low temperatures in the 20s. Facilities that offer individual climate control can help keep residents comfortable year-round.
- The Richmond area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bon Secours, VCU Health and Chippenham Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The crime rates in Richmond are higher than the rest of Virginia, coming in at 160% higher for both property and violent crime. Seniors who are considered about safety can talk to facilities about their security procedures.
- Richmond has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Office of Aging and Persons with Disabilities, an organization that connects seniors with the resources and services they need as well as four senior centers.
- The pollution index in Richmond is 98% better than the U.S. average, and the air quality index is 22% better than the rest of the country. This means seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions may find it easier to breathe on a daily basis.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Richmond City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Richmond City start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Richmond City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Richmond City
The state of Virginia offers assistance to its senior residents though the Auxiliary Grant program, which is available to those receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Seniors can use this money for room and board costs or other qualifying expenses related to personal maintenance and care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Richmond City
Richmond City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Richmond City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Richmond City
Richmond City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Richmond City, VA
Assisted Living near Richmond City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Richmond City
Review of The Towers
Very kind and welcoming staff. Warm and friendly environment! Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Monument Avenue
My mom moved into Greenfield @. Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA in April 2018. At that time, she was completely mobile, utilizing the bathroom at ALL times on her own. She was given a clean bill of... Read more
Review of The Towers
The Towers is wonderful in so many ways. Clean and bright, smells wonderful, friendly staff, residents who look happy, clean, and well- cared for. Their rooms are spacious and inviting. Most signif... Read more