5 Assisted Living Facilities near Temple, TX
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Temple area, with 3 in Temple and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Temple is $2,748 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Copperas Cove with an average starting cost of $2,550.
To help you with your search, browse the 70 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Temple. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Temple 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Belton with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Temple find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Temple, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Temple, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Temple
The city of Temple, TX, was not actually named after a church, but rather Bernard Moore Temple, a railroad executive who picked the area as a major stop on the busy rail line to Austin. Seniors from the six assisted living communities in Temple can get a discount pass to the Railroad & Heritage Museum in Temple, which occupies the site of the former main rail terminal downtown.
Aging citizens in Temple's residential care communities generally get room and board for their monthly payments, as well as help with their activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing and meal preparation. Properties in Temple, and elsewhere in Texas, are regulated by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, which inspects for health and safety and quality of care for residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Temple
- Temple gets warm, humid summers that can be difficult for seniors with COPD or asthma when daily highs average 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter lows average 35 degrees, and the area gets 36 inches of rain a year, mostly in the spring and fall.
- Temple's aging citizens can go a long way on their retirement income. Shopping for groceries here, for example, is about 16 percent cheaper than is the average nationwide, while health care costs run to just 92 percent of the average price in America.
- Texas gets by with a statewide sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent on most purchases. Seniors who shop for themselves have to pay this, plus a 20 cent per gallon gas tax, but there's no income tax on the state level. This is good news for seniors on a fixed income from IRAs, 401(k)s and pensions.
- Temple is just slightly better in its crime rates than most places in the United States. Rates for property crime here are slightly under the national average, while crimes that most affect seniors, such as robbery and assault, are significantly lower.
- Transportation in and around Killeen County is in the hands of the Hill Country Transit District (HCTD), known locally as "the HOP." This service runs buses from Temple to Killeen and back, and seniors over 60 get a discount with valid ID.
- The Temple area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Temple, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Temple
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Temple start around $2,818 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Temple and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Temple
Texas administers the STAR+PLUS Medicaid waiver program for aging citizens who could use help making monthly payments for assisted living. Seniors must be enrolled in Medicaid with no share of cost to qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Temple
Temple and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Temple, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Temple
Temple-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Temple, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Temple
Review of Elmcroft of Cottonwood
Elmcroft of Cottonwood was a very excellent place. I liked the way they talked and offered things. It's an older facility but, it's next to a shopping mall, and it's much more geared toward assiste... Read more
Review of Brookdale Western Hills
I had friends at Brookdale Western Hills, and they were very satisfied with it. You can add assistance as needed. If you decide you need to have somebody take care of your medications for you, you ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Western Hills
My parents liked that Brookdale Western Hills was small. The staff was very good and very cordial. The apartment we looked at had a small living area and a separate bedroom, a bath, and a walk-in c... Read more