5 Assisted Living Facilities near Ottawa, OH
Also serving communities of Leipsic, Columbus Grove.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Ottawa area, with 2 in Ottawa and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Ottawa is $3,960 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Ottawa. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Ottawa 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ottawa, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Ottawa, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ottawa
Ottawa, Ohio, was founded in 1833 and was named after the Ottawa natives who once inhabited the land. This city is the largest community in Putnam County and is home to a growing senior population that makes up more than 15% of its residents.
Seniors who want to transition into assisted living can find accommodation at either of the two assisted living facilities located within city limits, or in one of the three facilities located in the nearby communities of Pandora, Leipsic and Columbus Grove. The Ohio Department of Health officially licenses these facilities as residential care facilities in both Ottawa and throughout the entire state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ottawa
- Ohio fully taxes retirement savings account income and partially taxes pensions. This could make finances tighter for Ottawa seniors on a strict budget.
- Seniors may be able to breathe more easily in Ottawa than in towns with higher ozone or other pollen levels. The city’s air quality has a rating of 77, almost 20 points higher than the national average of 58.
- Seniors can feel safe when touring Ottawa, where violent crime rates are about 12 points lower than the national average of 22.7 and property crime rates are about 26 points lower than the U.S. median of 35.4.
- Ottawa’s cost of living is three points higher than the state average and about 10 points lower than the national average. Although seniors in Ottawa may pay less for transportation than they would in some parts of the state or country, they may pay more for groceries and healthcare in Ottawa. Seniors with chronic medical conditions may want to keep the higher healthcare costs in mind.
- The Ottawa area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Toledo.
- In Ottawa, summer temperatures can reach as high as 83 degrees, while winter temperatures rarely drop below 19. The city gets 36 inches of rain and 22 inches of snow every year, which can cause difficulty for seniors who rely on mobility aids to navigate around. Seniors looking for a city that gets four distinct seasons in which to retire, however, may enjoy the climate in Ottawa.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ottawa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Ottawa start around $3,960 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ottawa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ottawa
There are two programs in Ohio that can help offset the costs of assisted living for Ottawa seniors. These programs are known as the Assisted Living Waiver program and MyCare Ohio. Applicants must reside in Ohio and meet certain financial criteria to qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ottawa
Ottawa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ottawa, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ottawa
Ottawa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ottawa
Review of Putnam Heritage
My mom has been at Putnam Heritage for almost 2 years and we couldn’t be happier. The rooms are spacious and there are several community areas to interact with other residents. The wonderful activ... Read more
Review of Putnam Heritage
Putnam Heritage went above and beyond when caring for my dear friend. The staff was very friendly, well mannered, and loving. Whenever I visited the facility I always felt welcome and a part of the... Read more