2 Assisted Living Facilities in Edenton, NC
Also serving communities of Hertford, Roper.
The average cost of assisted living in Edenton is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Edenton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Edenton 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Williamston with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Edenton, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Edenton, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Edenton
Edenton is a small city in Chowan County, North Carolina, near the Albemarle Sound. Of its 5,000 residents, over 1,000 are age 65 and over. Budget-conscious seniors may find this city to be a good option for assisted living, as its overall cost of living is about 12% below the national average and 8% below the statewide average. Although healthcare is relatively expensive here at 11% higher than the nationwide median, housing is about 30% cheaper, which may contribute to lower assisted living expenses.
Assisted living facilities, or assisted living residences, as they're officially called in North Carolina, provide housing, meals and personal care services to seniors. Edenton has two assisted living facilities, both of which are governed by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Edenton
- The Edenton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Vidant Chowan Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors residing in Edenton do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, but all other types of retirement income are taxed at a flat rate. North Carolina's sales and property taxes are moderate, which may leave more money in the budget for assisted living.
- Edenton's air quality is very good, rating 80 on a 100-point scale, which is more than 20 points higher than the national average, which means seniors with respiratory conditions or cardiovascular disease can breathe easy here.
- Transportation services in Edenton are provided by the Inter-County Public Transportation Authority. ICPTA provides on-demand service for medical appointments both within the five-county service area, as well as out-of-town medical routes to Virginia and Greenville, making it easy for seniors who don't drive to visit their doctor's office.
- Edenton is a historically rich community with a variety of cultural amenities for seniors to enjoy. The Chowan Arts Council and Gallery Shop features affordable art pieces created by local and regional artists. Admission is free, and the facility is wheelchair-accessible.
- Edenton's crime rate is high compared to the national average, so seniors seeking assisted living here may want to ensure the facility they choose has modern security features like alarm systems. On a 100-point scale, its property crime rate is about 13 points higher than the national average at 48.9, and its violent crime rate is about 19 points higher than the national average at 41.1.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Edenton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Edenton start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Edenton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Edenton
Assisted living services in Edenton and the rest of the state are covered by the NC Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Edenton
Edenton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Edenton, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Edenton
Edenton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Edenton, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Edenton
Review of Edenton Primetime Retirement Center
My daughter's been treated well. The staff seems to be very nice. The place is nice, clean, and no odor. Read more