Assisted Living Facilities in Spirit Lake, IA
To help you with your search, browse the 12 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Spirit Lake. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Spirit Lake 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Spirit Lake find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Spirit Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Spirit Lake, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Spirit Lake
People of all ages may be drawn in by the beauty of Spirit Lake, a small, dynamic town that sits at the center of Iowa's Great Lakes. Seniors who choose to live here will be in good company, as around one-fifth of Spirit Lake's 5,000 townspeople is 65 years of age or older.
For those seniors who are considering moving into assisted living, there are two facilities to choose from in Spirit Lake. Officially, they are licensed by the state of Iowa Health Facilities Division as either Assisted Living Programs or Residential Care Facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Spirit Lake
- The Spirit Lake area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lakes Regional Healthcare, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Assisted living may be more affordable for seniors in towns with a low cost of living, such as Spirit Lake, where the estimated overall cost of living is 3.2 percent below the U.S. average.
- Iowa's laws may allow seniors in Spirit Lake to keep more of their money at tax time. Social Security income is tax-free, and the Hawkeye state allows a deduction on other kinds of retirement income.
- For seniors who are outdoor enthusiasts, Spirit Lake offers golf courses, parks and recreation trails. The city's downtown, meanwhile, bustles with art galleries, restaurants, shopping centers and other attractions, including the Dickinson County Museum, any of which could provide seniors with an enjoyable outing from an assisted living facility.
- Relative to the rest of the country, Spring Lake's air is cleaner than average. On a scale of one to 100, where 100 is best, Spirit Lake's air quality is 85, compared to the national average of only 58.
- In Spirit Lake, there is a combined property and violent crime rate of 24.53 per 1,000 residents, which is higher than national and state averages. Seniors may want to ask prospective assisted living communities what steps they take to deter crime and keep residents safe.
Paying for Assisted Living in Spirit Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Spirit Lake start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Spirit Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Spirit Lake
For many seniors, the biggest barrier to assisted living is the price. The good news for seniors living in Spirit Lake is that there is help available through Iowa's Medicaid Home- and Community-Based Services Elderly Waiver, which pays for assisted living services for eligible seniors. Iowa also offers an optional state supplement, which is available to qualifying residents of residential care facilities only.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Spirit Lake
Spirit Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Spirit Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Spirit Lake
Spirit Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Spirit Lake
Review of Keelson Harbour
We toured Keelson Harbour. The person we met was wonderful. She was very outgoing, and bubbly, and she answered our questions. We met with her for a little bit and talked about mom, and then she sh... Read more
Review of Keelson Harbour
We toured Keelson Harbor for mom. It was good, we learned a lot. It's quite big and very nice. My sister was ready to move in herself. But we don't know yet as far as what mom's going to need; it m... Read more
Review of Keelson Harbour
My mother is in Keelson Harbour. Their place is awesome, and the people are good to work with. It's a very clean and updated community, and they really care about their people. They're helping us w... Read more