Assisted Living Communities in Surprise, AZ
To help seniors in Surprise find the assisted living community that’s right for their family, we’ve researched and compiled in-depth information about the cost of care, how to pay for care, and important local laws and regulations involving senior care and assisted living.
With an average cost of $2,564 in Surprise, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 80 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 39 facilities in Surprise.
39 Assisted Living Facilities in Surprise, AZ
27 Assisted Living Facilities near Surprise, AZ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Surprise
Surprise, Arizona is often called the “playground of the West Valley.” Some popular pastimes in Surprise are baseball and golf games, Wildlife Zoo, Aquarium and Safari Park. Seniors who want to live here but who are no longer independent have plenty of assisted living facilities from which to choose. There are 56 assisted living facilities in the Surprise area: 37 in Surprise and 19 spread throughout the communities of Peoria, El Mirage, Sun City, Sun City West and Youngtown. Staff in these facilities are trained to help seniors with daily living activities such as grooming, eating and personal hygiene. Residents of these communities participate in a friendly, homelike environment while benefiting from the services they provide.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Surprise
- Since Arizona does not tax Social Security retirement benefits, seniors enjoy recent tax breaks in Surprise. Retirement income such as 401(k) and IRA distributions are taxed, and state sales taxes are also fairly high.
- The cost of living in Surprise is high compared to other Arizona cities. The cost of living index is 106, which is 8 percent higher than the state average and 6 percent above the national average.
- The crime rate in Surprise, AZ is 42 percent lower than the rest of Arizona, but the national average is 29 percent lower. Violent crime, however, is 78 percent lower than the state average and 73 percent lower than the rest of the country.
- The weather here is terrific if you are a sun-loving senior. July highs average 95 degrees Fahrenheit but there's respite in December when temperatures fall to 52 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, May showers yield 8.4 inches of needed rainfall.
- The air quality index in Surprise is 48% worse than the national average. The pollution index in Surprise is 19% better than the national average.
- Seniors who need transportation to doctor’s appointments, essential errands, emergencies and personal outings can contact North West Valley Connect directly for a ride. Subsidized rides are available to some disabled and low-income residents. The city sponsors free rides to some senior centers in the area as well.
Paying for Assisted Living in Surprise
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Arizona
Assisted Living costs in Surprise start around $2,564 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Surprise and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Surprise
The Arizona Long-Term Care System (ALTCS) features a sponsored program designed to provide care and services to seniors. Seniors living in assisted living homes in Surprise, AZ, are eligible to participate in this financial assistance program based on individual circumstances.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Surprise
Surprise and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Surprise, please visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Surprise
Surprise-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Arizona are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Surprise, AZ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Surprise
Review of An Enchanted Assisted Living
I visited this facility and I was very impressed with the quality of services they provide. They offer beautiful private and semi-private rooms at all levels of care. This facility is clean and sta... Read more
Review of Marley Adult Healthcare
Excellent Care Home for your love loves. Read more
Review of Marley Adult Healthcare
Great owner!very good person!the house it's clean,the food it's excelent!nice staff! Read more