9 Government Benefits You Might Be Missing Out On

Senior couple meeting with agent

Is there anything more on our minds these days than stretching our dollars? And no question, nothing sabotages your budget like an illness or other health problem, especially one that affects your ability to carry out your everyday obligations. But help is available -- much more help than most people realize. Here are nine government benefits that experts say most people are missing out on.

1. Social security payments to dependents

Who's eligible: Widows and widowers, children, and other dependents of a social security recipient

What you get: Monthly payments based on the social security recipient's work history

How it works: After a death in the family, many people fail to take advantage of money they're entitled to receive from the Social Security Administration. Known as "survivor benefits," these payments are made to the spouse of the deceased and any children or stepchildren under the age of 18. To qualify, the widowed spouse must be over the age of 60 or over the age of 50 and disabled; if the spouse is caring for children under the age of 16, then this age restriction doesn't apply. And in some cases, stepchildren, grandchildren, or step grandchildren can also collect. If a child is severely disabled, he or she can collect on a parent's social security for as long as needed.

SEE ALSO: Find Assisted Living Near You

And one more thing that few people know: The parents of a social security recipient can collect up to one half that person's social security payment if they were dependent on the deceased for at least half their support. For more information, go to the government's Social Security site and scroll down to see the section titled "Benefits for your family."

Tip: Divorce doesn't disqualify you. You can collect on an ex-spouse's social security if you were married for more than ten years before you divorced and the benefits you are entitled to from your own work are less than his (or hers). If your ex-spouse has not yet filed for social security benefits, then an additional requirement is that you have to have been divorced for at least two years.

2. Shoes for diabetics

Who's eligible: Anyone with diabetes who's eligible for Medicare Part B

What you get: Custom-made shoes and inserts

How it works: If you have diabetes, it might surprise you to know that Medicare Part B will pick up most of the tab for therapeutic shoes. The criteria are fairly simple: You need to be under the care of a doctor for diabetes management and also suffering from serious foot problems, including ulcers, calluses that can lead to ulcers, nerve damage, poor circulation, or deformities.

SEE ALSO: Find Assisted Living Near You

The coverage is extensive; Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost of one pair of specially made shoes and three pairs of inserts. Once you get a prescription for therapeutic shoes either from your doctor or from a podiatrist, the shoes will be fitted and provided by a podiatrist or licensed specialist who participates in Medicare.

Tip: You have to have met your Medicare yearly deductible to get this coverage, so wait a few months into the year until you've had a few other medical bills before pursuing.

3. Free rides

Who's eligible: People with mobility problems and seniors

What you get: Transportation to and from your home to appointments and activities

How it works: Paratransit is the official term for transportation provided by local communities for those who can't drive or comfortably use regular public transportation. These services vary by community, but typically it's a door-to-door van service that's available by appointment. The services are provided by local government agencies, but they receive federal funds intended to guarantee access for the disabled and elderly.

SEE ALSO: Find Assisted Living Near You

To find out more about the federally funded transportation options in your area, contact your local Area Agency on Aging. More transportation resources are available by searching the Department of Health and Human Service's Eldercare Locator on the topic Transportation.

Tip: These services typically require advance planning. It works best if you establish a regular weekly schedule, so you don't have to remember to call each time.

4. Low-interest loans for small businesses affected by disaster

Who's eligible: Any business or nonprofit damaged in a disaster

What you get: Up to $2 million in low-interest, long-term loans

How it works: If your business is affected by a natural disaster such as a flood or hurricane, the Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest long-term loans to help you rebuild, make repairs, restock inventory, and do anything else you need to do to get your business back off the ground. The loans can be used to make repairs to the property itself or to machinery and equipment; the money can also be used to replace furnishings and inventory.

SEE ALSO: Find Assisted Living Near You

Tip: You can get a larger loan to pay for improvements to your property that protect against future damage.

5. Home or car modifications for veterans

Who's eligible: Veterans with a disability

What you get: A loan or loan guarantee to buy a house or car or modify an existing house or car

How it works: The Veteran's Administration provides extensive services to veterans who are considered to have a service-related disability that prevents them from performing normal, everyday activities. But this doesn't mean that you had to become disabled during service; for many veterans, a mental, emotional, or physical condition that began decades before in the military only becomes disabling with age. In this case, you may qualify for service-connected disability benefits at the point that your condition actually becomes disabling.

A key V.A. disability benefit comes in the form of loans and loan guarantees to help veterans buy or refinance a home or condominium. These loans can also be used to modify a home or car. For some veterans with service-connected disabilities, the V.A. also gives Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grants, which pay for modifications to a home to adapt it to accommodate their disability.

Tip: If you live with family members, the grants may also be used to modify the home you're living in or the car in which you're being driven, even though it's not owned by you.

6. Free credit check

Who's eligible: Everyone

What you get: Three credit reports per year at no cost

How it works: Don't get sucked in by the offers from for-profit credit repair companies; you can monitor your credit and fix any problems without spending anything. One of the ways the government helps us protect ourselves from fraud is by offering a free yearly credit check. By law, you're entitled to request one free annual credit report from each of the three major credit reporting agencies, Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian. Stagger your requests, and you could monitor your credit every four months at no cost. However, many experts advise ordering all three reports at once so you can compare them. To find out more, go to the federally authorized website www.AnnualCreditReport.com.

7. Therapy for Alzheimer's patients

Who's eligible: Patients with Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia covered by Medicare Part B

What you get: Specialized services including outpatient physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy

How it works: For those dealing with memory loss, occupational therapy and physical therapy can be key to coping with the tasks of daily living. To qualify, you just need your doctor to prescribe the treatment, and then use a Medicare-certified therapist. Although Medicare doesn't usually cover psychological services by nonphysicians, there's an exception for Alzheimer's care. (Coverage extends to clinical psychologists or medical social workers who are Alzheimer's care specialists, as long as they're Medicare-certified.)

Tip: If you have Medicare Part C coverage, also called Medicare Advantage, you may be entitled to even more counseling or to additional services.

8. Burial benefits for veterans

Who's eligible: Veterans approved for eligibility with the Veteran's Administration

What you get: A grave site and headstone and, for some, a burial allowance for funeral expenses

How it works: If you're a veteran, you're eligible to be buried in any of the 131 national cemeteries, or in the state cemetery in the state you're living in at the time of death. Your spouse and children are eligible for the same benefit. The choice to be buried in a particular cemetery depends on whether there are grave sites available, and grave sites can't be reserved prior to death. There's no cost to your family for the grave site or for a government headstone or marker, which the cemetery provides. However, this benefit doesn't include the cost of either a funeral or cremation, which must be made privately.

For vets who prefer to be buried in a private cemetery, the government will still provide a government headstone or marker and burial flag. In addition, the Veteran's Administration offers a funeral and burial allowance to some veterans. If a veteran dies of a service-related disability, the V.A. pays up to $2,000 for burial expenses, plus the cost of transportation to a V.A. national cemetery. If the death isn't service-related but the veteran died while receiving care at a V.A. hospital or one under contract to the V.A., or the veteran is on a veteran's pension, the V.A. will pay up to $700 for funeral and burial expenses and another $700 for the cost of a burial plot or interment space. To find out more about medical and death benefits for veterans, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs.

9. Help with household chores

Who's eligible: Those over 60 or disabled

What you get: Free or low-cost home and yard maintenance and moving help

How it works: If you're struggling to maintain your home, it may be possible to obtain help with all those household tasks that have become difficult or impossible to cope with. Under the auspices of the Older Americans Act, many Area Agencies on Aging offer help with household chores as part of the umbrella of services they offer to help people live independently in their homes. In Florida, for example, the Mid-Florida Area Agency on Aging covers a wide array of household chores including seasonal cleaning, yard work, and household repairs that don't require a specialized license. They'll sometimes even cover pest control if it's part of overall house maintenance. They'll also send someone out to help with lifting and moving furniture, appliances, and other heavy objects.

In some areas, the Area Agency on Aging charges a fee for these services, but it's typically much less than you'd normally pay. In Minnesota, for example, one agency charges $15 an hour for snow removal and yard work. Some programs are free but require participants to pay for the services upfront, then apply for grants for reimbursement. In many cases, the minimum age to qualify is 60. Get started by finding your local Area Agency on Aging.

13 days ago, said...

I'm 52 and just started receiving CCP disability, osteoarthritis, both knees replaced, I get 1269.00 a month, 474.00 of that goes to my 2 kids I end up with 794.00. It's not enough to pay my bills and I need a car. What can I do . Is there anything else I may be eligible for from our Canadian government? Please help me!

23 days ago, said...

I am a 55 year old widow no children at home my unemployment benefits run out in 3 weeks! Husband died in Jan 2016 lost my job in June 2016. Seems like I will have to sell our home what is left of our 30+ years? Why try ? Never so lonely no one wants to let me work? What do I do? I wish Gov Scott had to live like this. Worked my whole life to loose it all?

about 1 month ago, said...

I just need help paying off my credit then I will have no credit cards. I am no good with a credit card Can anyone My husband was in US Navy for 22 years and died of Lung Cancer

about 1 month ago, said...

I am 62 years old. I have had a pretty bad stroke, my left side is still partially paralyzed. A short while before that my husband lost his job of 26 years. There was a grace period on the insurance so i was able to go to a rehab. After that I was put on SSI. On Easter morn 2015 my husband fell down the steps and broke his neck its been so horrible. For over a year we sent him place to place, hard to find one with a vent ward . Thank God he is finally settled. He gets social security which he told me to use for the house and our two boys. We have two sons. Our oldest was in a bad accident. he is now paralyzed from c7 down he gets SOC, SEC, under my husbands accnt. We are losing our home of 17 years and do not make enough to afford anything..Question are we as his disabled spouse and his disabled son entitled to his Social Security

2 months ago, said...

My 41 year old daughter just passed away from cancer. I am taking care of her 12 year old son, have been caring for him for years and even claim him as a defendant on my tax returns. I am on social security now age 65, but my daughter never worked. How can I get benefits for my grandson based on my record. Some have told me I have to legally adopt him. The father is not in the picture, nor was he named only grandsons birth certificate.

3 months ago, said...

had astroke visin problems incontinancs. vertigo. hadto hVe emefrgencyrain surgery. wasin hospital. sinceaugust dint remember anything until. october. after stroke. cant afford. dr or meds help. cNt get ss dusability because cant see dr. same with social service. no insurance what doi do. hp please

3 months ago, said...

If. I was married for 28 yeas and divor ed but remarried 3 years ago can i still claim ss on ,y exhusband

4 months ago, said...

i need help with my mom.please

4 months ago, said...

Never mind ! ! !I am too 'old and disabled' to get help...That is for younger people

4 months ago, said...

We are having a difficult time since we moved to a new state to be close to my family. My husband is disabled and a veteran. I am disabled with Parkensens and R. A. The arthritis is chronic. We are getting more and more Dr. bills. And getting behind. We had a bankruptcy chapter 7. In the state we left. We moved into a tiny trailor in a trailer park. We are buying the tiny trailer. It will be paid off in September. We. Have been working on renovating it so when it is paid off we can sell it. But my husband's knees are so bad he can no longer do any of the work. And now my hands and feet are really deformed I can't do much. He needs knee surgery. But what will I do then. I need a volunteer or two to come help me do some hard work. Climbing on ladders, etc. We are on fixed income we can't pay much. Our credit is 614 and 642. Still can't get a loan cause of the bankruptcy. Cause I need a house I can get fixed up for him and m and live the rest of our lives in. Any idea guys please help!!

4 months ago, said...

The Prescription Assistance program should also be listed. If you have Medicare part D, you can apply for help paying for your monthly meds. Also, ELECTION STATEMENT SSA-795 TO KEEP GETTING MONTHLY INCOME IF YOU'RE SSDI GETS CANCELED AND YOU'RE APPEALING IF YOU DO NOT BRING IT TO THE LOCAL OFFICE WITHIN 10 DAYS, YOU WILL GET NO INCOME DURING YOUR 6-18 MONTH APPEAL WAIT. SSI and SSDI will NOT tell you about this form When I asked why, they said because the money has to be paid back if your appeal is denied. Another good tip is to install a call recorder app. Ask permission to record the call at the start of the conversation. Once they say yes, you can legally do whatever you want with it I can't count how many times this tool saved my butt. It made my SSDI appeal almost instant. Record the call, get name, last initial, location, and a reference or ticket number. I recommend listening to recording and keeping a diary of what was said by who on what day and time, etc. Trust me. This is why my appeal was 2 weeks instead of 2 years!

5 months ago, said...

Hi! Taking care of my hubby of almost 30 years. He has had many brain surgeries and was diagnosed with really onset frontal temporal dementia. Sometimes I'm at a loss. He's declining fast

5 months ago, said...

I am looking for an inexpensive phone/internet plan (less than $59.99 a month, which we currently pay to Verizon). All of the plans include TV, which I don't want to pay for. One company (RCN) said we could get internet for $31.00/mo with Vonage, but that plan's rate jacks up after 6 months. The RCN man said land lines are becoming more expensive as the cell phones take over. Very frustrating, as I am trying to REDUCE my monthly bills. any suggestions?

6 months ago, said...


6 months ago, said...

i am not elderly or a veteran, im mentally and physically disabled. Isntthere any programs that help us?

7 months ago, said...

Hi, my children and i lost there disabled father im 2006. In 2009 i was diagnosed with a life thteatening disease among many other illnesses. I am now disabled and am trying to survive and meek a roof over our head. They are uneligable for ssi or child dupport onviously because hes dead. I have to do treatments again and my health is very bad.i lost my license for not paying my cae insurance because i had to pay the house payment. I then had to sell my car 2 months later to keep our home. I have been in a deep depression and have been fighting to stay alive and keep from becoming homeless i dont even have a bed to sleep in. Would anyone like to tell me how the government thinks im supposed to go on like this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My children should have been receiving some kind of benefits from the government as it is not our fault there father never paid in to social security and i didnt ask to become ill my self. If you know of any programs that we might benefit from i would be happy to hear aboug them as our lives have been a living hell trying to survive eveysince this happened in 2006. I would love to have my license and a car again so that i could go to my treatments. My kids have allready lost there father and would really like to keep there mother. Ty pforrest and girls

10 months ago, said...

My boyfriend of 7 years age 69 and I, Anna of 55 years are looking for a A.L.F. that will take us and our cat,Stella. I get socialsecurity disabilities. James gets S.S.I. We need affordable low income :housing. I would like to be close to my brother in Seminole or St. Petersburg. Please help.

10 months ago, said...

I am retired and have two minor grandchildren and I am their legal guardian. Do they qualify for ss benefits and medical benefits.

10 months ago, said...

Hello, my name is JJ I have been disabled now for over 14 years now, due to a domestic violence situation. I had to close my business and move in with my 82 year old mom, I am now 40 and getting ready to live independently, but I'm afraid to leave mom she is not doing well, with her SS income from her 1st husband and with my SSDI we were able to get the house paid off luckily the payment was low and with help from an outside person we did it, but the house is too big for her alone and she really wants to downsize, but my sisters think she should just stay here because it is paid for, but it makes her very depressed; because she can't keep it as clean as she would like it, and the yard is way too much, I suggested that when I go into my apartment she get one and we sell the house and finish her bucket list, which isn't much at all, just go to the beach 1 more time and us just doing things together. We also have 2 dogs that of course are our family too. It's very hard to find an apartment with a fenced in yard. I've made a duplex plan out and I would love to get them built, not just for mom and I but for all the people who are veterans and disabled and cannot walk their dog. I was wondering if there was a grant I could get or some sort of loan so I could get these built for All of us.